Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-30-2017, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wc1934 View Post
iphone 6 and above. Allowing $50 off a new battery - so, a new battery for $29.
However, I have no idea how to go about changing it - hope they dont expect me to pay them to do it.
No worries, I did a chat today with apple support and was told the $29 covers the battery and installation! That's a good deal. The batteries will be available starting in late January until December 31, 2018.

Only caveat - you need to make an appointment at the Apple Store. Good Luck!
Old 12-30-2017, 07:16 AM
Veni Veloce Vomiti

I have a 5S. Since the last update to 11.x iOS, weird battery things have been happening. Occasionally when the battery level gets down near 20% charge, the phone can suddenly show dropping to near 0% charge,, like 4% or 5%. then when you immediately go plug it in to the charger, it jumps back UP to where it was before,, around 20%. Weird. Only started after the iOS update. Otherwise, the battery life and clock speed seem to be about what they've always been for this phone.

It would be nice if they would stop monkeying around with the battery control stuff. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Mike in AR
Old 12-30-2017, 07:23 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasadena View Post
This is the key question I don't see anyone pressing Apple for.

I read that class action lawsuit against Apple for fraud is starting up- my hope is that a part of that lawsuit forces Apple to clean slate the OS to original clockspeeds.

It's obvious what Apple is doing and glad it has finally been exposed.
Read a lot of indignation..and I get it but geez, it's a phone, not a faulty stent they put in one of your arteries..a phone..

My 6S+ works fine..BTW..

IMHO, of course, 'pal'.
Old 12-30-2017, 09:50 AM

I have had an i5 for nearly 5 years and intentionally never upgraded IOS.

I was born with a tinfoil hat.

No battery problems. None.

Storage is getting constrained somehow but otherwise, no performance drop.

Thinking of upgrading.....either 7 or 8. Probably 7.
Old 12-30-2017, 10:07 AM

A bit like the recent VW screw-up, the Apple folks are now trying to undo the damage to customer relations by offering a product (battery replacement) at a price that likely represents a loss for them.

So... those of us who have owned their iPhones for 2 or 3 yrs (like yrs truly with an ancient iPhone 6) will get brand new batteries and improved performance for pocket change.

Bear with me, but I don't think the Android crowd can take advantage of anything like that.

Transparency would have avoided the whole mess. Then most of us wouldn't have upgraded to the newest iOS... but I wonder if the app developers have a ton of trouble designing stuff that works with multiple iOS's... ?
Old 12-30-2017, 10:12 AM

I have a 6s, and I did an update in october inadvertantly. You know how the phone constantly prompts you to update? I ignored it over and over but I guess I started the update by accident and now my phone is sluggish as hell.

It doesn’t unlock well with the fingerprint thing like it used to. If I want to take a picture, or heaven forbid, make a call, I have to sit there and watch it stare back at me for what seems like an eternity.

So now, they are offering another update. I guess I should take it but I’m less than hopeful it is going to fix things.

What a crock.

Back to my original post though, my whole beef with this problem is ( wait whilst I tighten my tinfoil just a bit and tilt my head just right) that I feel these are preplanned problems that are built in the phone just to goad you into buying a new one. The timing is just too coincidental and that is what chaps me more than anything else.

If you bought a car that did zero to sixty in four seconds flat when you bought it, and five years later it took 4.5 seconds, then that is understandable for a combustible engine car to do that and it would bother me at all. If you bought that same car and it slowed way down only after the new one came out and the dealer serviced it, then I would be pissed.

Sorry, I just can’t stop.
Old 12-30-2017, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54ny77 View Post
haven't read all the replies, but i'll say this: android does the same.

the last os update on my older droid (which was only a couple of years old) caused such bad battery drain that i had to go buy a new phone.
Hmmmm, still running a Galaxy S4 and I've had no problems. In fact I'm surprised I am still on my original battery after all these years.

I've never seen a performance drop off on it of any kind. It updates automatically.
Old 12-30-2017, 10:27 AM
Member?

Galaxy S4 and S6...Update when available and no battery degradation or other issues.
Old 12-30-2017, 11:05 AM
Registered (ab)User

Quote:
Originally Posted by fa63 View Post
My iPhone 5s is still going strong. The battery life sucks, but haven’t noticed it slow down.
I'm the opposite: My iPhone 5S was running just fine, with decent battery life...until about two or three weeks ago*, when suddenly it would go from ~91% to <20% in less than an hour. I now can't go out for a bike ride without turning my phone off -- which almost defeats the purpose of bringing a phone in the first place -- otherwise it will be completely dead within 20 miles.

*Coincidentally, right about the time this article was published.

Last edited by Bob Ross; 12-30-2017 at 11:07 AM.
Old 12-30-2017, 11:18 AM
cnighbor2

n o a p p l e i s n o t

n o w a y I s a p p l e i s n o t
s l o w I n g o l d e r p h o n e s
Old 12-30-2017, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ross View Post
I'm the opposite: My iPhone 5S was running just fine, with decent battery life...until about two or three weeks ago*, when suddenly it would go from ~91% to <20% in less than an hour. I now can't go out for a bike ride without turning my phone off -- which almost defeats the purpose of bringing a phone in the first place -- otherwise it will be completely dead within 20 miles.

*Coincidentally, right about the time this article was published.
And also coincidentally when the temps dropped. My old iPhone 4S started doing exactly that when it's dying battery was gasping for breath. Then I had to ride with it against my chest for awhile to warm it up and give me a few minutes of use.

Solo winter rides in rural areas with a questionably functioning phone... no bueno.
Old 12-30-2017, 01:19 PM

I just got the new iPhone X. It's nifty but hardly revolutionary. My 5S is over four years old and was suffering the same symptoms everyone else here describes. It was time for a new one.

I wanted the 8 but the Verizon store I visited in the Twin Cities didn't have it in stock. So I went with the X.

I'm not sorry I have a new one but don't be fooled, it's just the new iPhone. Our expectations have been raised to such levels that we're disappointed when something like this is released, forgetting how revolutionary these devices really are. In my work it's a crazy useful device.

My advice: If you don't need to get a new one, don't.
Old 12-30-2017, 01:44 PM

Every since I put a screen saver on the IPhone SE I just got....it's touch sensitivity has way decreased. Screen doesn't work good....especially on secondary settings. Any of you have these issues with screen savers? Thinking of just taking it off. So it gets scratched up over time don't see that as a big deal. But wife thinks I need a fancy case and screen saver. Must add about 50% to weight.
Old 12-30-2017, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
Every since I put a screen saver on the IPhone SE I just got....it's touch sensitivity has way decreased. Screen doesn't work good....especially on secondary settings. Any of you have these issues with screen savers? Thinking of just taking it off. So it gets scratched up over time don't see that as a big deal. But wife thinks I need a fancy case and screen saver. Must add about 50% to weight.
I don't use a screen saver but I do use the Apple leather case. It provides a bit of security and the glass screen is much nicer to use without a covering it with plastic.....

Anyway, I'm easy on my phone generally and a thick case sort of ruins the experience. The leather one is a nice compromise and it fits the phone perfectly.

BTW, If Apple releases a small form-factor iPhone SE II (SES?) I could imagine trying it out. I'm not in love with (nor do I hate) the size of the largish
iPhone X.
Old 12-30-2017, 02:33 PM
Picshooter

I'm using an SE too. I am using an old Otterbox from my wife's old iPhone5. It has a hole for the button.

QUOTE=Ralph;2286650]Every since I put a screen saver on the IPhone SE I just got....it's touch sensitivity has way decreased. Screen doesn't work good....especially on secondary settings. Any of you have these issues with screen savers? Thinking of just taking it off. So it gets scratched up over time don't see that as a big deal. But wife thinks I need a fancy case and screen saver. Must add about 50% to weight.[/QUOTE]