Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-19-2006, 11:16 PM
commuter racer

11speed.com

Has anyone ordered parts form these people? They seem to have the lowest prices on Campy...even lower than Total cycling..am I missing something..I found them on roadbikereview.com thread..

www.11speed.com/
Old 04-19-2006, 11:26 PM

Shino,

I've wondered the same thing ... they're prices are very low. My wonder is shipping costs, duties and shipping times. Hmmm ... intriguing at the very least

Dan
Old 04-19-2006, 11:59 PM
commuter racer

I just found this thread...interesting...sick wheel prices and they are in Italy!

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/sho...ht=11speed.com
Old 04-20-2006, 08:01 AM

I have...

I was looking over this site and noticed that Campy Record ergo levers were only $230, which is $50-90 less than most online dealers. They also had Michelin Pro2 Race tires for $22 each. I ordered 10 tires and the ergo levers.

The shipping was a reasonable $18, considering it came from Europe. Campy parts will come without the factory packaging and may not even include the instruction manual. This wasn't a problem for me, but something to beware of. I think part of the reason is to keep the size and weight of the package to a minimum. My ergo levers were wrapped in shimano instruction sheets, rather than newspaper.

There may also be import duties to pay. Tires have no duty, but the ergo levers were charged 1.8%. UPS also charged me a $5 brokerage fee for collecting ang paying the duty. The tires were obviously the big bargain.

If you're placing a large order, you can't beat their prices, but I wouldn't order just one item, since the combination of freight, duties and brokerage fees can eliminate most of your savings.

Last edited by Dave; 04-20-2006 at 01:11 PM.
Old 04-20-2006, 11:44 AM

I ordered from them. they were quick to respond to my questions and had parts that are not in their lists. Very quick shipping to Switzerland too.

Old 04-20-2006, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave
Campy parts will come without the factory packaging and may not even include the instruction manual. This wasn't a problem for me, but something to beware of. I think part of the reason is to keep the size and weight of the package to a minimum. My ergo levers were wrapped in shimano instruction sheets, rather than newspaper.
Possible gray market?

I'm debating this issue because it's just tempting. In building up a new bike, it's probably going to be Veloce parts because I'll be lending this bike out a lot, including younger teens (<16). With the parts group, the savings can be extensive at ~25% from my usual costs. However, I'm leaning towards supporting my LBS because ... well, $180+ savings is nice ($744 vs. $558), but I think I'd rather see the money stay local.

Dan
Old 04-21-2006, 12:22 PM
commuter racer

hmmm

I am going to order a partial centaur group for my dads new bike and this is my problem....

I can get everything from Texas cyclesport for $550.
or I can get everything from Total Cycling for $500 and risk duties... I could also get super cheap tires and bars from total cycling as well...making it an even better deal.

Am I guaranteed duties on $500? and if so what %?
Old 04-21-2006, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandeda
Possible gray market?

Dan
It's not likely "grey market" so much as "OEM".
The component suppliers sell to manufacturers of frames
and house brand bikes at lower prices than parts wholesale.
Lots of these parts "intended" to end up on complete bikes
get diverted into the "aftermarket" channel.

Also, there could be 1 less layer of distribution if Campagnolo is
selling directly to someone who sells to you, than if you buy
from your LBS, who buys from a distributor, then sells
to you.

g

Last edited by Grant McLean; 04-21-2006 at 02:45 PM.
Old 04-21-2006, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinomaster
I am going to order a partial centaur group for my dads new bike and this is my problem....

I can get everything from Texas cyclesport for $550.
or I can get everything from Total Cycling for $500 and risk duties... I could also get super cheap tires and bars from total cycling as well...making it an even better deal.

Am I guaranteed duties on $500? and if so what %?
When last I checked, duties on components were nil, and duties on frames, wheels, and bikes were varied (with built bikes being the highest). At the same time, (a) you should check the customs web site for the latest tables and (b) you should realize that enforcement may vary--that is, that what get's charged or not may not be eactly what you'd expect given the code. I wouldn't expect duties sufficient to erase the price difference between import and domestic goods, but, of course, there's nothing wrong with paying a bit extra to deal with a domestic vendor if that makes you feel better, or to support a local merchant, if that's what you'd like to do.
Old 04-21-2006, 04:11 PM

about duties...

Quote:
Originally Posted by djg
When last I checked, duties on components were nil, and duties on frames, wheels, and bikes were varied (with built bikes being the highest). At the same time, (a) you should check the customs web site for the latest tables and (b) you should realize that enforcement may vary--that is, that what get's charged or not may not be eactly what you'd expect given the code. I wouldn't expect duties sufficient to erase the price difference between import and domestic goods, but, of course, there's nothing wrong with paying a bit extra to deal with a domestic vendor if that makes you feel better, or to support a local merchant, if that's what you'd like to do.
Here's a link to the duties that total cycling believes to be correct.

http://www.totalcycling.com/article/...4-8272c429ef1a

Whoever looked at my recent purchase apparently didn't agree, since I got charged 1.8% on a pair of ergo levers. What made my order worthwhile was getting tires for $22 each that the LBS asks $55 for. Buying 10 saved me plenty.

One thing to keep in mind with Campy parts, you won't get any warranty unless you can convince a LBS to return a defective part and perhaps fake an original purchase receipt. Campy doesn't accept defective parts returned from individuals. I've had one part in over 10 years need warranty repair and by chance it was purchased at a shop that would return it for me. The chances of needing warranty service are very small.

Last edited by Dave; 04-21-2006 at 04:15 PM.