Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-20-2005, 04:46 PM

Core Training

Ok, I've been to different sites, looked at the info, and I'm still somewhat confused. The definition of core stability is pretty much all similar but when it comes down to how to strengthen your core....then it goes in every direction. Some say Pilates, or Swiss balls, or your every day crunches, etc. Anyone have any sites or recommended books on this subject? I have lower back pain. A chiropracter is helps for a bit and then its back. Read an article in Men's Health on something similar to this and the final result was that core stability training was the best method. Looking for some recommended sites/books/etc on what kind of excercises would be good for lower backs and also of course cycling.
"But arent you at home?"
"Yea"
Old 06-20-2005, 08:37 PM
aka Terry Keele

Pain Free

by Peter Egoscue. You should be able to find it used real cheap.
Old 06-20-2005, 08:58 PM
ZhugeLiang

http://www.egoscue.com/htdocs/therapysynopsis.asp
Old 06-20-2005, 09:19 PM
Feel the Force

core training is simple- find a program you can tolerate and stick to it- day after day after day after day. . . . you get what I mean here? There is no quick fix- find one or two exercises that you can (and will) do- I have a very simple routine that I do every other day. Old landscapers have one thing in common- BAD BACKS I vowed years ago to do all I could to avoid that. One of my ways is to keep doing core work.

I hate sit ups- they hurt my neck and lower back- I do roman chair sit ups on my weight bench- slow hard curls- YUCK!!! But they work- I then do leg lifts on the bench as well. Keep it simple and stick to it

Jason
Old 06-20-2005, 11:35 PM
Is this roundtrip?

I like www.coreperformance.com

Doesn't take "long", is varied, and involves few "crunches" Yay...but it does involve planks and other stabilization exercises and whole body stretching.

Lots of funky stuff and stuff from other "disciplines" though. And it doesn't take a lot out of your day.

Last edited by Ginger; 06-20-2005 at 11:54 PM.
Old 06-20-2005, 11:35 PM

8 minute abs and stretching

The 8 Minute Abs video -http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/6303499988/104-4900976-8985545?v=glance- is a simple low impact routine which will really build up your core strength. Combine that with stretching and you should reduce or hopefully eliminate you back pain. Good luck.
Old 06-21-2005, 04:37 AM

I have had major problems in the lower back region and Pilates work a treat. Exercises are easy to do but very difficult to do properly, they give much better core strength than doing sit ups and other types of exercises in my experience.
Old 06-21-2005, 04:52 AM

Medx machine isolates paraspinous muscles

The paraspinous muscles are very difficult to isolate using conventional physical therapy approaches. This program worked well for me. http://www.medxonline.com/core/equip...ils.php?eqID=6
The machine is designed by the inventor of Nautilus equipment. A google search of medx lumbar spine will give you plenty of information.
Old 06-21-2005, 05:09 AM
Administrator

Thumbs up A bit of reading for you...

You can't go wrong with Juan Carlos.

www.performbetter.com

Training articles:
http://www.performbetter.com/catalog...ainingArticles

Training exercises:
http://www.performbetter.com/catalog...eSheetsListing

William
Old 06-21-2005, 06:40 AM
Ape and Essence

Mat Pilates class or Pilates Reformer. You need to get past beginner level and than you are in business. This is great stuff for cyclists.
Old 06-24-2005, 12:34 AM

here's an article written by the physio for the australian olympic cycling team. she's brilliant.

http://www.topbike.com.au/physio.htm

you could also check out

www.cyclo-core.com

cheers,

andy.
Old 06-24-2005, 12:59 AM

First off, it helps to look at a diagram of a human skeleton and understand what correct posture means structurally. That is when the bones and joints are properly aligned with gravity. A plumb bob suspended next to the subject would intersect all major joints and reveal how the body is perfectly engineered to withstand the force of gravity. It does this by using the correct alignment of bony structures and a perfect balance of musculature without creating stress to the major muscle groups yet instead relying on the slow-twitch postural deep muscles which are designed to do this job.

Core strength is strength of the postural muscles. The best way to improve it is by perfect practice of correct posture and learning to engage it when the skeletal structures are ideally aligned. Yoga is very good and one can imagine why with it's challenging positions and balance requirements. Another way is proper breathing and posture during strength training.

What happens to most of us is lengthing and weakening and shortening and tightening of opposing muscles which force our bones, joints, and spine out of alignment.

All it takes is a basic understanding and proper technique along with training of strength, balance, and flexibility.
Old 06-24-2005, 09:43 AM
its just a bike right

i found yoga really helps. i started doing it because of back pain. helps build the core and just other benefits as well. i go twice a week and now go to the chiropractor less..and it has made me more aware of my posture.