Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-20-2017, 04:32 PM

Phoenix area road ride routes

Last edited by Likes2ridefar; 12-01-2022 at 10:47 AM.
Old 12-20-2017, 08:13 PM

me too!

I am interested in any replies that you receive as we, too, will be moving to the Phoenix AZ metro area within the next year and I'm looking for kind of a “lay of the land “ perspective. It appears from my cursory inspection that most of the cycling is on the east side, Scottsdale/Mesa or closer into Phoenix proper. We are retired and will be looking at Queen Creek/Florence (Merrill Ranch), Buckeye or Peoria, all south or on the west side. We currently live in the Sandhills area (Pinehurst) of North Carolina although we moved here a couple of years ago from Reno Nevada and are from Northern California, both the Bay Area and then north of Sacramento.

I generally ride alone unless I make a riding buddy, but I'm not much of a shop or group rider. I do like the occasional organized/supported rides, although not as many centuries any more but certainly metrics. In spite of being 70, I still manage 5K+ miles a year.

I'm looking for a sense of road cycling in the areas I mentioned, I like to ride out of my garage and put in 30 to 50 miles in a circuit. I don't mine throwing my bike in my car and driving to a start place but it would be great to avoid it as it cuts into riding time.

Is there an area that has greater access to road riding...area that is safer that others?....I don't mind hills or climbing so elevations are unimportant. Anything I should know?, animals?, flats?..

There have been some answers on other forums but mostly they relate to the Tucson area.

I've gone through this before as we have moved and unfortunately, I've ended up mostly finding my rides on my own.
Old 12-20-2017, 08:39 PM

Where to start , I live in north phoenix and although this year was low mileage about 2000 or so. Most of my riding buddies are around 4-10 k .
There is a lot of decent roads up north with less traffic. Sonoran parkway , and the routes up to the towers by lake Bartlett .

West side has a large group ride leaving LA fitness in Avondale . Several scottsdale shops do well attended rides . Careful some are hammer fest, 40-50 miles at 23 plus avg speed.

One friend I ride with sponsors a team he send out email announcements of lots of different rides for all levels and areas. Everything from road ,crits to cross to mtn.
Look up Fleming wealth management. Or send me your email, I’ll get you on his list to find rides on your side of the valley.
There is a Christmas ride sun 24th , 12 climbs of Christmas. It’s about 20 miles but lots of climbing around camelback mountain.
He’s taking his mtn bike for the gears .
I can give lots of suggestions, need more specific details like actual area and what kind of rides. More than happy to help , and if you want to come over for a ride that works too.

Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-20-2017, 08:51 PM
Small ring

Paradise Valley or North in Carefree area are the only places I know.

It doesn't suck.
Old 12-20-2017, 08:53 PM

Old 12-20-2017, 09:11 PM
Small ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Likes2ridefar View Post
I haven’t made it to paradise valley yet, but will go up there this weekend.
The climb to the castle on Camelback is good, the rides around Mummy are terrific.

The nice thing about PV is you can climb as much or little as you want, and the local motorized traffic is mostly bicycle aware. More tourists on the holiday weekend, so be careful.
Old 12-20-2017, 09:12 PM

Quote:
I haven’t made it to paradise valley yet, but will go up there this weekend.

Shadetree bikes does a ride though paradise valley on Sunday great ride
Old 12-20-2017, 10:56 PM

I'm curious: why move from N.C. to AZ?
Old 12-21-2017, 08:07 AM
Kind of OK

PV/Mummy is great. Via Linda to the end, Fountain hills and the Pinnacle Peak area are very nice. Ahwatukee (down in your area) is OK if you know the back roads. I could meet you some Sunday near Rustler's Roost (don't eat there) and show you the area.
Basically the Phoenix area = cars. I've ridden here since God was a boy so I'm used to it.
Old 12-21-2017, 08:14 AM

Old 12-21-2017, 12:29 PM

I don’t live in AZ, but I was in Scottsdale for a conference a few months ago. I rented a road bike from Arizona Outback Adventures. They had a bunch of routes listed on their website starting from various hotels across town. The routes were also tied to a smartphone app for turn-by-turn navigation. I’m not usually a turn-by-turn person, but it was kinda nice to not have to think about the route much. I hit a few routes North of town, like out Pima Rd, that were nice.

Rafa
Old 12-21-2017, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Robb View Post
I'm curious: why move from N.C. to AZ?
We moved here from Reno Nevada three years ago to take care of my ailing mother who has since passed away...We are originally from the Bay Area in Northern California and our children/grandchildren are spread out in NorCal, Colorado and in Gilbert Az.
In addition, we are retired and the warmer, dryer climate in the Phoenix area is better for my wife's health (as well as mine!)...the relatively high dew point and humidity on the East Coast is by our experience unbearable. A return to California or Northern Nevada is financially more difficult now but the greater Phoenix area offers an advantage on all fronts plus year around riding!
Don't misunderstand, the Pinehurst area in NC is a beautiful place, a golf mecca (I don't play) , some 27-28 golf courses including #2 where the US Open is regularly held...it's hilly and home to the long leaf pine...there's a lot to recommend but it's not like home...we need to come West again..
Old 12-21-2017, 09:01 PM
tailgunning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highpowernut View Post
Careful some are hammer fest, 40-50 miles at 23 plus avg speed.
lol i suspect this is not a problem.
Old 12-21-2017, 09:16 PM

Old 12-21-2017, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Always up for a challenge myself, just get dropped by pros is something my ego doesn’t like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk