Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-07-2024, 09:20 AM

Taking your own bike vs renting a bike on vacation.

I might have a unique travel opportunity that came up. It kind of fell into my lap. One of my closest friends moved to the Southern coast of France and offered me miles to compensate me for all the feelings of abandonment.

The purpose of the trip is expressly “cycling.” No kids, partners, to-do lists, etc.

So, being a relative novice at overseas cycling trips, is it better to rent a bike or pack a bike? The trip will be roughly a week with some mellower rides and a few big ones. The bike will definitely be used frequently.

The biggest factor is cost: is it cheaper to rent or fly with a bike? The next biggest factor is convenience. I’m actually leaning toward bringing one of my own bikes but I really, really hate futzing around with assembling a bike.
(The Scicon cases look really convenient for assembly)

Any thoughts would be welcome. Thanks.
Old 09-07-2024, 09:31 AM
Epic=No Smiles

It mostly depends on the rental options at the location. If your friend knows an LBS that will rent, and the bikes are good, that is a million times more convenient.
Old 09-07-2024, 09:47 AM

Depends on how exacting one is re: at least contact points, if not more.

For instance, the following are my requirements:
-38-40 cm c-t-c handlebars in classic round bend. In a pinch, I can make do with round-ish bend bars;
-particular saddle;
-165 mm cranks.

If it's a shop that is accommodating (as in, allowing me to swap my own parts), renting could be feasible. But not all are. So if I rent, at a minimum I'm bringing crankset, saddle, and possibly my torque wrench.

And I otherwise can make do with bikes with a whole range of ETT, from 52.0 cm to 55.5 cm (as long as I get the stem needed). Put another way, it may be a bigger issue trying to find a good fit on a rental bike that nominally should work, for someone used to riding custom frames with particular fit parameters, as compared to someone who can tolerate a bit more variation.

Also, as long as one doesn't fly on Lufthansa (and iirc, airlines owned by Lufthansa), fees for bikes is minimal on standard economy fare (and free at premium economy and above). Lufthansa charges $200/each way for bikes, even on premium economy and business fares.

Last edited by echappist; 09-07-2024 at 09:55 AM.
Old 09-07-2024, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by echappist View Post
Depends on how exacting one is re: at least contact points, if not more.

For instance, the following are my requirements:
-38-40 cm c-t-c handlebars in classic round bend. In a pinch, I can make do with round-ish bend bars;
-particular saddle;
-165 mm cranks.

If it's a shop that is accommodating (as in, allowing me to swap my own parts), renting could be feasible. But not all are.

And I otherwise can make do with bikes with a whole range of ETT, from 52.0 cm to 55.5 cm (as long as I get the stem needed). Put another way, it may be a bigger issue trying to find a good fit on a rental bike that nominally should work, for someone used to riding custom frames with particular fit parameters, as compared to someone who can tolerate a bit more variation.

Also, as long as one doesn't fly on Lufthansa (and iirc, airlines owned by Lufthansa), fees for bikes is minimal on standard economy fare (and free at premium economy and above). Lufthansa charges $200/each way for bikes, even on premium economy and business fares.
I’m not really particularly about fit, but I’m much more particular about gearing. I’m hopefully going to be doing this ride: https://www.cafeducycliste.com/en_us...ce-eze-madone/ (or a version of it) and I’d really like a lower geared bike. A 34/34 would be great. Also SPD pedals.
Old 09-07-2024, 10:00 AM

I like bringing my own bike if I'm going to a house where I'll stay the whole time.

I like renting if I'm staying in a hotel and/or moving around multiple times on the trip.
Old 09-07-2024, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prototoast View Post
I like bringing my own bike if I'm going to a house where I'll stay the whole time.

I like renting if I'm staying in a hotel and/or moving around multiple times on the trip.
Great take. It’s the first situation.
Old 09-07-2024, 10:03 AM

I always bring my own bike unless there is a reason not to. A good case requires minimal effort to pack and reassemble and most airlines are free or same as any checked bag.
Old 09-07-2024, 10:04 AM

I'm in the early stages of planning a bike trip to northern Spain (Girona area) for next year, and I'm wondering the same thing. Girona has lots of great bike shops that rent high-end bikes. But I really love my custom Pursuit--when I'm in a cycling Eden, shouldn't I be riding my perfect bike? On the other hand, my perfect bike could easily get damaged in transit, and lugging bikes to and from airports, finding a vehicle big enough to transport the bikes, finding a place to store the bike box, etc., adds cost and complexity and stress. So I think I'll rent, and bring my own saddle and pedals.
Old 09-07-2024, 10:21 AM

I usually rent if I’m flying and can find a reasonably local shop w a bike. I typically figure out the fit ahead of time and take my own stem, saddle and pedals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-07-2024, 10:33 AM
VAV

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXtwindad View Post
I might have a unique travel opportunity that came up. It kind of fell into my lap. One of my closest friends moved to the Southern coast of France and offered me miles to compensate me for all the feelings of abandonment.
Any thoughts would be welcome. Thanks.
Ship one of your favorite bikes. Eat the one time shipping expense. Keep at your friend's. Go visit him / her and ride every year the Southern coast of France.
Old 09-07-2024, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vav View Post
Ship one of your favorite bikes. Eat the one time shipping expense. Keep at your friend's. Go visit him / her and ride every year the Southern coast of France.
Yes, that has definitely crossed my mind! I’d feel much less guilt about having too many bikes. Win/win!
Old 09-07-2024, 10:52 AM

Having travelled with my bike once and having the frame bent leaves me questioning whether rentals are better. The damaged bike was a cheap Kona 29er, but it would suck if you damaged one of your gorgeous bikes (that are in my size, take note for future gifting purposes ! )

I am sure that if you use a proper travel case (mine was a soft one) it’ll be fine, but I would take a cheap bike.

I have rented several times and while you don’t get a Pegoretti, they usually provide a decent bike and will no doubt furnish SPD pedals (or you just stuff yours in your suitcase)

Jealous! It’s been over a decade since I was careening through France on my bike! And no kids - 🤩 amazing!!
Old 09-07-2024, 10:54 AM

I tend to rent if it's a mtb. And bring my own if it's road/gravel. Largely because I can generally ride any ball-park fit on mtb where as my road set up kind of requires shorter cranks etc..

That said... I DO NOT (and would not) travel with my 'A' bikes. For flights I prefer bringing a bike that can handle some abuse and is easy to break down/work on.
Old 09-07-2024, 11:09 AM

Ship your bike to your friends house, well before your trip. When it arrives and isn't folded in half, you're good to go. If it is folded jn half, arrange a rental and bring your cycling kit.
Old 09-07-2024, 11:25 AM

We go on a International trip every year for 2-3 months.(same place, same home) We used to take our bikes. I finally did as someone suggested & left my bike there.

So much easier & I should have left my wife's bike too. Instead we continued to take hers for the next two years.

It is not "that" hard but yes it is a hassle & also when finding transport from airports etc the size of a bike case can be a problem for some taxi/grab etc

This year I have bought & shipped a frame/wheels/groupset to our home there for her. I will build it when I get there next week. Hoping it all goes well hahaha