Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-19-2019, 02:32 PM

+1 on Compass / Rene Herse. Although, I've never tried the 32c, I feel like the 35c and 38c are as fast as the 28c. Right now I have the 35c for my all around-er and the 26" RTP for my all-all-around-er-er with the Juniper Ridge on my 650b set up.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, I never looked back to riding other tires after riding Compass / Rene Herse tires.
Old 04-19-2019, 04:31 PM

I haven't bought/ridden Compass tires, but at the lower end, GravelKings and the Panaracer EVO R are both quite good.

I'd not recommend Continental's GP4000 or Gatorskins in 32mm; both rode heavy and harsh, like they were built with stiffer sidewalls.
Old 04-19-2019, 05:03 PM
ZhugeLiang

I know this is not what the original poster is asking but in case anyone is wondering...

For any events or riding that involved maybe 80-90% paved road and 10-20% smooth to not too gnarly type gravel during the ride, and if it could fit on your bike, i know what my first choice is going to be :

Gravel king SK 35 mm

If it gets a bit more gnarly or the percentage gets flipped over, 10-20% paved and 80-90% gravel, I would immediately jump to

Gravel king SK 650b X 48mm

Without any hesitation.

If it fits, that is.

Last edited by weisan; 04-19-2019 at 07:13 PM.
Old 04-19-2019, 07:02 PM

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Jack Browns @700x33.3. I believe they're Panaracers, and I enjoy the ride on my black mountain. I'd love to try Compass tires but they're not carried by the main distributors in Canada so cost is prohibitive. I got the Jack Browns for pretty cheap and very happy with them. The only other "fat" tire I had were Bruce Gordon Rock n' Roads which were great too, but for my daily commute the Jack Browns are perfect.
Old 04-20-2019, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhespenheide View Post
I'd not recommend Continental's GP4000 or Gatorskins in 32mm; both rode heavy and harsh, like they were built with stiffer sidewalls.

What do you mean by rode heavy? Do you mean slow?
Old 04-20-2019, 09:06 PM

Best 700x32c tires for road use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by j102 View Post
...Continental tires are good too, but it appears they roll slower...

I might have to recall the above statement.
I have been reading reviews of the Continental GP 5000 and they look good.
Old 04-20-2019, 10:33 PM

Quote:
What do you mean by rode heavy? Do you mean slow?
By "heavy", I mean that they felt harder to accelerate up to speed from a standing start compared to the EVO R, the GravelKings, and the GP4000 in 28mm (that last should be obvious based on the masses of the two tires).

With the same bike and the same wheels, riding the same inflation psi (to the limit that my pump is precise) on the same roads, the Continental tires rode more harshly than the Panaracers and GravelKings. The Panaracer EVOs and GravelKings did a better job absorbing bumps in the road and smoothing out rough asphalt.

If you're scientifically curious, you should run your own tests, but that's what I found.

I would speculate that Continental manufactured the 32mm tires with a different sidewall stiffness, because I really like the GP4000 in their 28mm size. I can't think of another explanation unless it's just simple sample variance.

I haven't tried the new GP5000, but I'm happy with the EVO R and the GravelKings I have now. The new GP5000 could well be different.

Last edited by mhespenheide; 04-20-2019 at 10:36 PM.
Old 04-20-2019, 11:57 PM

not a 32, but g one speed in 30 or 35mm are AMAZING. wear out fast though but that's the tradeoff
Old 04-21-2019, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Thanks everyone. Good choices here.
The Panaracer tires get good reviews.
Compass tires and Continental tires are good too, but it appears they roll slower.
Between the GKs and the EVOs, which one rolls faster without compromising durability/flat protection?
Just to be clear, the Compass, GK, Jack Brown, Pasela, etc. are all made by Panaracer.

Consensus seems to be (and tests (BQ and others) seem to show) that Compass/Rene Herse are among the best performance-wise; i.e., dont roll slower. Especially the EL versions. The sluggishness that fmradio described with Compass 32 was based on a comparison with 25mm tires. Feeling sluggish and being slower are two different things. I have found that 28mm is sort of the cutoff handling-wise where bikes go from feeling like sports cars to... sluggish maybe not the right word but sort of.

While some tires seem to be less flat prone than others-thicker tread, less supple casing-do know that "flat protection" (your original post) usually refers to an additional layer such as kevlar between the casing and the tread. These tires are going to be significant compromise in ride quality and performance. Of the tires discussed here these would include Gatorskins. Also know that AFAIK all the evidence regarding flat-resistance is anecdotal*.

I dont see the benefit of going from 38 to 32 other than you like the handling. The aerodynamic benefit- much discussed/disputed-would be negligible.

*Edit: I am referring here to tires without the additional flat protection.

Last edited by marciero; 04-21-2019 at 08:10 AM.
Old 04-21-2019, 07:23 AM

I've been riding some 700X32 Continental Gatorskins on a bike I mainly just ride around on with my wife. Prefer to not have to worry about flats. Normally avoid Gatorskins, because past history with them in smaller sizes told me their durability and longevity just not worth the harsh ride. But on this bike...in 700X32's, no complaints with ride at all at air pressures of around 70-80 rear and 60-65 front. Still....would not wish to imply they are supple. They are Ok though. And they are very durable and long lasting. It's all a trade off.

Last edited by Ralph; 04-21-2019 at 07:25 AM.
Old 04-21-2019, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhespenheide View Post
By "heavy", I mean that they felt harder to accelerate up to speed from a standing start compared to the EVO R, the GravelKings, and the GP4000 in 28mm (that last should be obvious based on the masses of the two tires).

With the same bike and the same wheels, riding the same inflation psi (to the limit that my pump is precise) on the same roads, the Continental tires rode more harshly than the Panaracers and GravelKings. The Panaracer EVOs and GravelKings did a better job absorbing bumps in the road and smoothing out rough asphalt.

If you're scientifically curious, you should run your own tests, but that's what I found.

I would speculate that Continental manufactured the 32mm tires with a different sidewall stiffness, because I really like the GP4000 in their 28mm size. I can't think of another explanation unless it's just simple sample variance.

I haven't tried the new GP5000, but I'm happy with the EVO R and the GravelKings I have now. The new GP5000 could well be different.

Thanks for the explanation. It’s good to hear it from someone who has tried those tires.
Old 04-21-2019, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marciero View Post
...I dont see the benefit of going from 38 to 32 other than you like the handling. The aerodynamic benefit- much discussed/disputed-would be negligible....

You are probably right, but since I’m going from a tire will small knobs to a tire without knobs, might as well go for the small difference in speed and handling a slimmer tire could provide.
Old 04-21-2019, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
I've been riding some 700X32 Continental Gatorskins on a bike I mainly just ride around on with my wife. Prefer to not have to worry about flats. Normally avoid Gatorskins, because past history with them in smaller sizes told me their durability and longevity just not worth the harsh ride. But on this bike...in 700X32's, no complaints with ride at all at air pressures of around 70-80 rear and 60-65 front. Still....would not wish to imply they are supple. They are Ok though. And they are very durable and long lasting. It's all a trade off.

Thanks. Yep, it’s a trade off. There is no perfect tire....
Old 04-21-2019, 11:00 AM
Total Fred

Schwalbe Marathon Supreme. Been using them for years on the road. Great wet weather grip, durability, and pretty good ride quality.

Tai
Old 04-26-2019, 10:22 AM

I was considering the Continental GP 5000s as my first choice, but I found a deal on the Continental Gatorskins 700x32c. For the price, I am going to give them a try.