Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-18-2019, 06:54 PM

Dura-Ace 7800-7801 Shifter Differences?

I want to replace my 7800 shifters as they don't see as crisp as they used to be and sometimes I have to move the shift lever a couple of times for it to engage.

I have read that the updated 7801 levers are a bit narrower and ergonomically smaller. I have small hands and that appeals to me.

Is this correct info and how do you tell the difference between the two as neither appear to have any model numbers stamped on them?

Thank you.
Old 04-18-2019, 09:39 PM

I'd never heard that about the differences, but model numbers are usually printed into the shifter bodies underneath the hoods. Just need to peel the hood back a little from the clamp side.
Old 04-19-2019, 12:16 AM

The difference is...

Old 04-19-2019, 03:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawker View Post
I want to replace my 7800 shifters as they don't see as crisp as they used to be and sometimes I have to move the shift lever a couple of times for it to engage.

I have read that the updated 7801 levers are a bit narrower and ergonomically smaller. I have small hands and that appeals to me.

Is this correct info and how do you tell the difference between the two as neither appear to have any model numbers stamped on them?

Thank you.
sounds like the grease gunked up in the indexing area. Flush it with some very thin lube and thin out the thick grease you should be able to shift well again.
Old 04-19-2019, 06:27 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawker View Post

Thank you.
Big lever? Does it shift better if you hold the small lever outboard with yer other hand? I know, tough to do when riding, needs to be in stand. I'd disconnect the inner wire, spray liberally with WD-40..while shifting it..then thin spray lube..think it's just gunked up. new inner wire and maybe housing too.
Old 04-19-2019, 09:32 AM
Old, Fat & Slow

1st step is to make sure the cables aren't fraying inside the shifters.

THEN flush em

THEN think about replacement

M
Old 04-19-2019, 11:36 AM
head to toe Assos

I've never understood all the misery surrounding 7800.
Mine are still shifting smoothly after 10+ years.
Flush em out with WD if they get sticky. Then spray in some lube.
Smoothest shifting I have ever experienced. Progress isn't always a better thing.
Old 04-19-2019, 12:58 PM
Old, Fat & Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmdesigner View Post
I've never understood all the misery surrounding 7800.
Mine are still shifting smoothly after 10+ years.
Flush em out with WD if they get sticky. Then spray in some lube.
Smoothest shifting I have ever experienced. Progress isn't always a better thing.
I've always liked the firm feeling shifting of 7700. I didn't like the 780X series: Shimano went too light on the shift feeling. Some of the feeling came back in the 9000 stuff. Not all of it, but some.

YMMV

M
Old 04-19-2019, 03:59 PM

Thanks guys. I've sprayed the right hand shifter with lots of WD40 before and it helped....but now not so much. I'll take another shot at it and check to make sure the cables aren't frayed. Thanks guys!
Old 04-19-2019, 08:12 PM

I would pull the whole cable out and replace it or at least inspect it. It can affect the shifting even if there is a teeny kink or residue buildup near the derailleur where you may not even notice.
Old 04-22-2019, 12:45 PM

Results: I used WD-40 and sprayed the daylights out of both 7800 shifters, let it sit for ten minutes then used compressed air to blow out everything. I then let the bike hang upside down for eight hours and used compressed air again. Then this morning I went out for a ride. The shifters felt as if new. Not one missed shift of any kind.

Now I'm wondering about actual lubrication and after a lot of research have decided I'll try a small bit of Tri-Flow. I know there are pros and cons with TF but seems like all of the lubrication options have their supporters and haters.

Thanks again guys. Guess I'll put my dollars into a new crank now rather than new shifters.
Old 04-22-2019, 08:21 PM
You still here?

After I’ve cleaned out the internals of my 7800 shifters, l’ll dribble a small amount of NFS lube on the parts that click and slide. That’s worked well for me over many bikes and many years.