Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 04-15-2019, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcteague View Post
Alexi Grewal seems to have gone through something similar.

https://www.ocregister.com/2009/08/1...eak-the-cycle/

Although never homeless, Grewal admits he was “lost,” for several years after retiring from racing in 1992. He declines to give detail. But the divorced father of Elijah, 11, and a daughter Jordyn, 15, who live with their mother in nearby Berthoud, says he has frequently faced financial hardship. He’s gone months without work as a carpenter.

He lost his two upper front teeth to gum disease and says he can’t afford to replace them.

“I’ve been poor a lot,” said Grewal, who remains rail thin at 6-feet-1, 156 pounds, his racing weight.

Even today he often can’t afford a cup of coffee at the Loveland coffee shops he likes to frequent to discuss politics and religion.

Tim
For a minute I was thinking he was married to Tammy Jaques-Grewal, but then remembered it the other Grewal, Rishi.
Old 04-15-2019, 04:05 PM
Old, Fat & Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingminimal View Post
This pretty much negates the rest of your bootstrappy sermon.
There is nothing outside bootstrapping yourself. No one outside your skull can help unless you want to be helped.

I'd support a 'homeless to worker' type job program. Think CCC from FDR's era. I also know if something isn't earned, it isn't valued.

...and yes... in the context of this thread, I know there are some folks that never will be able to change for varying reasons.

M
Old 04-15-2019, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee View Post
No one outside your skull can help unless you want to be helped.
Quote:
...and yes... in the context of this thread, I know there are some folks that never will be able to change for varying reasons
Just gonna leave this here.
Old 04-15-2019, 04:25 PM

This is a hugely complicated issue. Its kinda like there is a “living competency” test of one hundred questions and some minimal score is required to have the skills to keep a job, feed yourself, and keep a place to live. Maybe more to get ahead in life. It seems like some of those hundred questions create more of a threshold score than others. The threshold even seems to be a moving target for some people. So its a test with one hundred questions and the credit per each right answer varies in value and from time to time. And no one tells you the rules changed. Sometimes something real simple compounds into living on the street, commitment to a mental institution or maybe going to jail.

In the work I see in the criminal justice system, society’s burden dealing with people on the edges is vast and its allocated to a system that is not designed to deal with it. You would be astounded at how much social work is passed on to the police, courts, lawyers, jails and institutions. And you would be shocked at how easy it is to run afoul of the law when you’re on the street. Cross the wrong parking lot at the wrong time and get another criminal trespass citation or worse, an arrest. And the cascade begins again.

I hope Rebecca gets settled in a safe and maybe a happy place and can figure out how to stay there.
Old 04-15-2019, 06:28 PM

Quote:
If you don't want to fix your own personal problem, how is Washington going to fix it for you?

How is the local hospital going to fix it?

How is anyone outside your own skull going to fix anything?

Sounds like its the same as addiction: you need to hit rock bottom before you change your mind and change things. Doesn't sound like Ms Twigg has hit that point yet.

Before you jump my stuff, I've* been* a CH away from being homeless. I've had a few really great buddies that let me live with them for free/cheap after my ex- kicked me out of the house. I was unemployed at the time... I don't have the mental issues that seem to plague the subject of this thread and I've pretty well fixed that living situation

M
A significant problem that afflicts those of poor mental health is that they are incapable of even being aware that they need mental health.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 04-15-2019, 07:40 PM

A lot of folks profited from her years of success, they probably ought to help her out. The USCF was a real rat's nest back then and they kinda used her to further themselves

She was a stone-cold killer on the bike in her day, hope she finds what she's looking for
Old 04-15-2019, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingminimal View Post
Just gonna leave this here.
That's a pretty awesome catch, dude. Post of the day.
Old 04-15-2019, 07:56 PM

I've known a number of very successful racers who have spent their lives running from demons. Maybe the focus and drive required to succeed is the escape route, I don't know. It does seem that when retirement comes the wheels fall off. It makes me sad to hear that Rebecca is suffering as well.
Old 04-15-2019, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutgallery View Post
She was a stone-cold killer on the bike in her day, hope she finds what she's looking for
Here she is winning the gold medal in the 1993 Worlds pursuit, and setting the world record: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZzTnU2HvbEc.

And here's a Sports Illustrated article from 1996: https://www.si.com/vault/2016/08/17/...plan-start-now.
Old 04-15-2019, 08:30 PM
Rock Hard ~ Ride Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiamme red View Post
"...Here she is winning the gold medal in the 1993 Worlds pursuit, and setting the world record:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZzTnU2HvbEc..."
Awesome post! Thanks for finding that footage.
Old 04-15-2019, 08:58 PM

I've been involved a bit with team management of women's cycling over the years and was a fan of Rebecca's. Shoot, I still have copies of several of the magazines in which she was the cover model.

She has always been a WORLD-class athlete, but always a bit troubled and seemingly very shy. To read this is so sad and hard to believe. I'm aghast. I pray she'll get some real help.

Last edited by Hawker; 04-15-2019 at 09:06 PM.
Old 04-15-2019, 09:08 PM

I remember her racing in Fitchburg stage race back in 90's, on starting line of the TT, wow...

In case of other pro athletes they, if they haven't snorted it, have at least some nest egg. Promoters made a fair bit of cash off of her, and she is in disrepair, so sad.
Old 04-15-2019, 09:44 PM

Quote:
If you don't want to fix your own personal problem, how is Washington going to fix it for you?

How is the local hospital going to fix it?

How is anyone outside your own skull going to fix anything?

Sounds like its the same as addiction: you need to hit rock bottom before you change your mind and change things. Doesn't sound like Ms Twigg has hit that point yet.

Before you jump my stuff, I've* been* a CH away from being homeless. I've had a few really great buddies that let me live with them for free/cheap after my ex- kicked me out of the house. I was unemployed at the time... I don't have the mental issues that seem to plague the subject of this thread and I've pretty well fixed that living situation

M
What's a CH?
Old 04-15-2019, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m4rk540 View Post
What's a CH?
An unofficial part of the female anatomy, I think?
Old 04-15-2019, 10:06 PM

So anyways..
RT was one of eddie b's protoges, iirc. They were just fodder for the "program". Her situation is not right on so many levels. Group prayer, even if you don't believe. 🌷
Closed Thread

Tags
it's the economy