Builder's Spotlight The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Image Gallery > Custom Bikes

Old 08-08-2017, 09:39 PM

Keith Anderson Roadie

As if I needed another project...

But here it is anyway. A couple things drew me to grab this off eBay: (1) Keith Anderson is in Southern Oregon, (2) filet-brazed steel is awesome, (3) it's reportedly SLX tubing, (4) it looks like classic road-race geometry with big tire clearance and perfect TT/HT sizing for me, and (5) the wheels and components looked to be in good shape.

At this point I haven't investigated the tubing, but everything else checks out as expected.

I'll be swapping out the post/saddle bar/stem tomorrow and getting it out for a ride.

One major flaw is the right shifter seems to be in friction mode - zero indexing happening...which works, but isn't ideal . If I keep it, it'll get a new group and wheels anyway. NBD other than I was hoping to get some resale value. Oh, and there are quite a few scratches/chips, some with surface rust. The seatpost was smooth in/out though, as was the stem, and the headset is in good shape.

Geometry looks like:

58 CTC ST
58.5 CTC TT
17 HT
1015-ish WB
41.5-ish CS

And you can't put a price on that saddle patina

Old 08-08-2017, 11:41 PM

Nice find/pick up. Looks a little smaller than your others?
Old 08-08-2017, 11:43 PM

Found a little more info..

SN# 01210293

Which means it was #121 for the year and built in February 1993 according to a post on his numbering system made by Keith across the hall.

Also, Henry James in the house..

Old 08-08-2017, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy sti View Post
Nice find/pick up. Looks a little smaller than your others?
It's almost the same as my Moots CR (measurements...not sure on angles) - I don't have the saddle at the right height and that's a 90mm stem, so it looks a ways off. We'll see when I get it together more though. I came to the realization that I need to be on a shorter TT w more drop and longer stem, vs. longer TT w less drop and shorter stem. I like the way bikes handle better in that mode.
Old 08-09-2017, 10:13 AM

looks great! I was super tempted by this one on ebay, so I'm glad its in the paceline family.
Old 08-09-2017, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by v531xc View Post
looks great! I was super tempted by this one on ebay, so I'm glad its in the paceline family.
If it ends up not working out for me, I'll let you know. I'm going to sell the wheels/group, etc. and start over from the bare frameset..
Old 08-09-2017, 08:36 PM

Keith was as good as anyone, but he told me he has hung up his spray gun and torch for good this year. Enjoy this one
Old 08-11-2017, 10:07 PM

Keith Anderson Roadie

Planning to ride this to OHBS tomorrow even with the shifter not working - I've got a silver Thomson to pick up to use until I can find an S83 for it at a decent price (wish I hadn't sold the one I had...or the Nitto stem).

Will see what I think of the ride tomorrow. If I love it, it'll get a new 105 group; if it's not much different from the Yama, she'll be headed to the classifieds...

Oh, and I grabbed a NOS American Classic headset from our co-op yesterday with the three allen-key screws that tighten it. Felt really light. If it's total crap, lemme know and I'll take it back before installing.

Really great clearance on this one - these are 25c Rubinos on Open Pros.

Hard to photog the chainstay clearance, but I think 28s on C2s will fit fine.

Last edited by Clean39T; 08-11-2017 at 10:15 PM.
Old 08-12-2017, 12:53 AM

Nice. Silver seatpost and 28mm skinwalls or even the brownwall Gravelkings would be pretty choice.
Old 08-17-2017, 07:38 PM

Sweet lines. After a long ride, please report. Looks great as it sits!
Old 08-17-2017, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobuseri View Post
Sweet lines. After a long ride, please report. Looks great as it sits!
Rebuilding with fully modern components this weekend just for kicks and giggles if I have time...I think it's going to ride really, really well...and it should come in pretty light too...
Old 08-17-2017, 11:01 PM

Just weighed the frame and it's around 1825g plus a 645g fork. That seems pretty dang light for a fillet-brazed 61cm frame.
Old 08-18-2017, 02:57 PM

First step is admitting you have a problem. We're all here for you...to take them off your hands!
Old 08-18-2017, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stien View Post
First step is admitting you have a problem. We're all here for you...to take them off your hands!

I've admitted to myself that I enjoy rehabbing and catch n releasing - I spend all day at a computer and spending some time in the evenings getting my hands dirty somehow keeps me sane(ish). As long as I'm able to pass good stuff on to folks here at below-market prices when I don't keep it, all for the good of the order. I do want to see how this one rides though before deciding to let it go...
Old 08-18-2017, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
I've admitted to myself that I enjoy rehabbing and catch n releasing - I spend all day at a computer and spending some time in the evenings getting my hands dirty somehow keeps me sane(ish). As long as I'm able to pass good stuff on to folks here at below-market prices when I don't keep it, all for the good of the order. I do want to see how this one rides though before deciding to let it go...
It's all about one day crossing paths with that one that just does it for you and won't get passed on. All the others are part of a very fun and ultimately valuable learning experience.

Plus some of us can live vicariously through you acquisitions.