Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-16-2017, 08:42 PM

What prompted you to sell the bike you swore you’d never sell?

I occasionally see classified postings of people selling an exceptional bike (maybe it’s custom, or just very customized) that they clearly are reluctant to part with. Usually it’s because it just doesn’t get ridden any more. I’m curious how many folks have looked at a great bike collecting dust and said farewell rather than just ride it more or hang onto it for sentimental reasons. I’ve got a beautiful Seven that I’ve rarely ridden the past year if favor of a somewhat beaten up C50 I picked up, but I can’t imagine selling the Seven.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-16-2017, 08:45 PM
aka RAEKWON

Usually sell because I want to buy something else and I don't want too many rides around. However there is sometimes an extra reason.

My Merckx I sold because was a bit too big.

My JP Weigle I sold because the ST was just a bit too steep and I could not quite go back as much as I would like. This one I really thought I would have never sold.

Spooky was too racey for me, great bike but tiny headtube, tons of drop.
Old 11-16-2017, 08:47 PM

I sold a Seven Elium SLX, which I thought I would never sell, due to tire clearance. The rear triangle didn't really accommodate anything larger than a real 25mm tire, and at that point I had really fallen in love with the ride of 28mm tires. Granted, I had bought the Seven second hand and it wasn't designed for me (or to accommodate 28mm tires), but it was a beautiful bike and I still regret selling it a little bit.
Old 11-16-2017, 08:50 PM

I've honestly stopped telling myself that I'll never sell them. Most of the time it's because my ride-style needs have changed, my fit has changed, or I need the money or space that its absence would afford. Shame every time, but I do feel a bit of relief having less "things" at the end of it. The burden i feel of material items usually has a bit more power over me than the desire to keep them. I'm also single, so if a significant other comes in the play, I fear for my entire stable!
Old 11-16-2017, 08:53 PM

They're just bikes. Everything's for sale.
Old 11-16-2017, 08:54 PM

Kids. (Food, diapers, bills, etc)
Old 11-16-2017, 08:59 PM

Three Kvales went bye bye.

Kids are in college.

Priorities.
Old 11-16-2017, 10:01 PM

Almost everything I've sold I never missed, even though I really enjoyed it when I owned it.

Yeah, everything's for sale.

What prompted me to sell the ones I thought I'd never sell was either a real offer or the fact that I almost never rode them.

I sold my first Serotta CIII, which was one of my favorite ever bikes, when someone offered me a good amount of money for it. The fact that it was 1cm too large in height and length made it pretty easy, but still, it was my first real high level custom bike and changed how I thought about them.

I don't actually miss it because others have matched or surpassed its excellence.
Old 11-16-2017, 10:07 PM

Never sell?

I don't think I have ever said "I will never sell this bike."

Fit changes over time, technology changes...

My current like is disc brakes and DI2- So I have been selling off all of my rim brake and mechanical bikes- Were they all great bikes- sure.
Will I replace with bikes that suit my current needs and desires- yes.
Old 11-16-2017, 10:07 PM
Vendor

Which one? I sold many of them due to my ex-wife. Slowly getting some back.
Old 11-16-2017, 10:11 PM

I'm going through this right now. I have a Serotta Ottrott that I haven't been riding, but I am reluctant to part with it. I have a newer carbon bike that actually fits better, and I have spent most of my time on and I really enjoy it.

My wife has another bike on order, and I would like get on a list as well. I could use the space the Ottrott would free up. The money would also help fund the new bikes, but resale value is probably one of the things keeping me from listing it. Used bike market is definitely a buyers market and not a sellers.
Old 11-16-2017, 10:19 PM
Member?

Colnago C-40 pre-B stay. Tire clearance, or lack thereof, prompted the sale. Along with the delusion that I could own only one road bike. Oh well, it was a memorable experience. What a sweet ride. Wish I still owned it.

Replaced it with a Calfee Tetra Pro that will take 28's. I have to say I really enjoy the Calfee. It lacks the cache of the Colnago, but it is a soild bike that seems to always have a little more to give.

I'm about to put my Turner 5 Spot on the auction block. Never thought I would sell it, but times change.
Old 11-16-2017, 10:32 PM

About the only bike I think I'll never sell is an '87 Bianchi Campione d'Italia. It was my first good bike, purchased by working my first (minimum wage $2.85/hour) job in high school. Even my wife, who sometimes gets frustrated by the space that they all take up, says that it's the prettiest of all of the bikes and that I shouldn't sell it.

Everything else is subject to change.
Old 11-16-2017, 10:56 PM

I came close to selling my Club Special when newly married and broke. I had stopped racing and was willing to let it go but the prospective buyer didn't want to go the price I put on it.

Now when I talk about getting rid of a bike my wife says don't sell the Serotta given the history I have on that bike.

I have sold some of my competition shotguns thinking that I had replaced them with something "better". In one case that was a mistake because the gun just fit and balanced right for me.
Old 11-16-2017, 11:25 PM
Barely Hanging On

For me, it was fit. I had a custom bike, but with fit evolving and me likely having specified an overly slack seat tube angle, I was really forcing things to get everything where it should have been.