Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Rides, Events, Gatherings and Charity events

Old 08-11-2017, 01:16 PM

Nice

Pics made me homesick. Best part about riding in the Midwest -- after the people -- is the endless gravel options. Thanks for posting.
Old 08-11-2017, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jensenn View Post
We made it to the start just fine except we were already exhausted.

The race was very well organized and everyone was so nice and welcoming.! I felt great throughout the whole ride until around mile 170 and I tweaked my knee riding through a deep sandy section. Pain kept getting worse and knee was getting swollen so I decided to call it at the 3rd checkpoint on mile 183. Didn't think it'd be very smart to ride another 4 hours on a busted knee and risk some type of serious injury.

I'll definitely be back next year. We stayed an extra 3 days and we really enjoyed our time here. Hope to see/meet some of you guys as well

I'll post some pictures once we get back home
Happy to hear you made it. Looks like you did a nice job of pushing through the tired start and bummer on the tweaked knee. 170 miles clearly gave you a nice flavor of the area though and thanks for posting the pics.

Nice job knocking out 170 and good call packing it in! You had a good time overall and will be back so it will just be a little more satisfying next year.

I will have to keep this one on my radar even though gravel centuries are more my pace these days.
Old 08-11-2017, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by commonguy001 View Post
That looks awesome! I love riding in southern MN but haven't ever gone that far west, most everything I've ridden is on the eastern side of I35.
The riding out in the Minnesota river valley out west is really nice.
Old 08-15-2017, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpin75s View Post
The riding out in the Minnesota river valley out west is really nice.
I'll need to make it a point to get down there and give it a shot.

To date I've been really enamored with the roads that Almanzo and the Dickie Scramble are run on. Fillmore county is just amazing by bike and we do a lot of camping at both Forestville/Mystery Cave State Park and White Water SP so I'm very familiar with both those areas.
Old 08-15-2017, 02:52 PM

Quote:

To date I've been really enamored with the roads that Almanzo and the Dickie Scramble are run on. Fillmore county is just amazing by bike and we do a lot of camping at both Forestville/Mystery Cave State Park and White Water SP so I'm very familiar with both those areas.
A lot of nice riding in that area for sure. This was my first year missing the Almanzo after 5 straight so know the area well as I usually lead a group of newbies each year. I picked the right year to miss.

I could not find the route on a quick scan, but Ben Witt used to lead a number of fall gravel rides in the region and I used to revisit the loop he laid out around the Dennison area for spring training rides. 45 mile loop with punchy climbs so even though the elevation change is not big, it is not eaten up by rollers and gives you some really good climbs.
Old 08-15-2017, 09:23 PM

This was ridiculously fun!! I was there, I finished albeit pretty cooked at the end. It took us 17hrs even to complete. My buddy and I rode it singlespeed and tied for 1st (imagine that ) 19th overall. The lead group was smoking fast. I think they were done in 13 hrs. I had 6800' ish of elevation a few 15% sections were brutal!! But overall an extremely well organized event, great course, great people racing and volunteering, and a great test of self will. I loved it. Will be back next year if Trent does it again. Highly recommend. Great job OP this is not easy to complete.
Old 08-15-2017, 09:27 PM

Quote:

I rode the scramble course a month ago it's awesome. Tour of Fillmore in the fall is hard as hell too. I'm w you enamored by south east Mn. It's only 90 min from me and a different world from the north central Iowa farmland flats.
Old 08-17-2017, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luwabra View Post
I rode the scramble course a month ago it's awesome. Tour of Fillmore in the fall is hard as hell too. I'm w you enamored by south east Mn. It's only 90 min from me and a different world from the north central Iowa farmland flats.
I often bring my fly rod down to the Lanesboro/Spring Valley/Preston area when we ride the gravel.

Gravels fun, but so are Rainbows and Browns.

We are riding the St. Charles area near Whitewater State Park tomorrow.

Can't wait!
Old 08-17-2017, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luwabra View Post
I didn't do the Dickie this year (or even know if it happened to be honest) but if Drew is having it next spring I'll be back. I need to get the Tour of Fillmore route so I can do that next time I'm camping down there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomango View Post
I often bring my fly rod down to the Lanesboro/Spring Valley/Preston area when we ride the gravel.

Gravels fun, but so are Rainbows and Browns.

We are riding the St. Charles area near Whitewater State Park tomorrow.

Can't wait!
We're going to be at WWSP for the Labor Day weekend so I'll get to do some riding down there shortly! I haven't camped there yet this year but am looking forward to it
Old 09-26-2017, 11:52 PM

Quote:

nice ride after some crazy travel, congrats. pics looks great too
Old 10-18-2017, 01:48 PM

Quote:
We made it to the start just fine except we were already exhausted.

The race was very well organized and everyone was so nice and welcoming.! I felt great throughout the whole ride until around mile 170 and I tweaked my knee riding through a deep sandy section. Pain kept getting worse and knee was getting swollen so I decided to call it at the 3rd checkpoint on mile 183. Didn't think it'd be very smart to ride another 4 hours on a busted knee and risk some type of serious injury.

I'll definitely be back next year. We stayed an extra 3 days and we really enjoyed our time here. Hope to see/meet some of you guys as well

I'll post some pictures once we get back home
Curious as to how the ride went thru the night? I am also the newbie to gravel riding and have 3 races/rides under my belt now. If you want another fun ride to check out. Check out the Pony Express 120 beginning of Sept. in Marysville Kansas. I did the 75 miler and have a write up on the ride over at gravelcyclist.com. How many miles was this total?

Thanks
Zman
Old 10-19-2017, 09:28 AM

zman..^ the midnight to dawn section was FAST.. we had a slight tailwind so the lead group was ripping at 20+ mph as soon as that split into smaller groups things got manageable. There was 1 checkpoint at mile 60 ish so a little over 3 hrs into it. I felt like I was missing some pretty great scenery but such is the nature of the race. good roads for the most part and not much climb. the total Mileage i accrued was 242mi I missed a turn but quickly got back on course. the race organizer is a friend of mine and he puts on a great event. I'll be back next year to defend my co ss win if they put it on again. id def recommend this event if your looking to push your boundaries either racing or just going for your personal best distance. its got great scenery and a challenging last 1/3 of the course. most of the climbing is in the last 1/3 of the race.
Old 10-24-2017, 12:21 PM

What sort of SS gearing were you running?
Old 10-24-2017, 01:17 PM

@chrismoustache....

I ran a 42/18 it was perfect for my current fitness and terrain. my buddy ran a 42/17 neither one of us ever put a foot down on the hills and there were some dandys it worked out well.
Old 10-24-2017, 10:45 PM

Big day! I did the Almanzo 100 one year, I'd love to go back for the Royal option some day but I don't live in the Midwest any more. The gravel in southern MN is good stuff, easier on the body than in many places.