Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Rides, Events, Gatherings and Charity events

Old 07-06-2017, 06:39 AM

Riding the full length of Skyline Drive

If anyone has ridden the full 105 miles Skyline Drive, I'm hoping to pick your brain. Mainly, did you ride self-supported or with the assistance of some kind family members. Quickly scouting the route, it seems like the food/ water stops are far enough apart that it might be best to have my wife follow along.

Any suggestions on riding South to North or vice versa would be appreciated as well!
Old 07-06-2017, 06:55 AM
powered by red

If you stuff a third water bottle in a jersey pocket, you will be fine to ride it unsupported. I have ridden the drive many times while only carrying two water bottles, but it depends upon the temperature.

I always felt like riding South to North, was easier than North to South. You cannot go wrong riding in either direction.
Old 07-06-2017, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by znfdl View Post
If you stuff a third water bottle in a jersey pocket, you will be fine to ride it unsupported. I have ridden the drive many times while only carrying two water bottles, but it depends upon the temperature.

I always felt like riding South to North, was easier than North to South. You cannot go wrong riding in either direction.
I agree with the direction. Once you hit Panorama, it's more down than up. You'll have Hogback as your big climb for the last stretch, about 25 from the finish. A great 6mile downhill (for the most part) to finish.
You should be able to do it alone. I usually do a 62 mile out/back from Front Royal to Panorama & don't need much more than a few powerbars. Two bottles takes me to a rest stop @ Panorama & then full ones get me back. The store at Elkwallow is seasonal, so be sure it's open if you're counting on it.
There are a few tunnels between Panorama & Sky Meadows. A light is helpful. Not sure if it's required.
Never done south of Sky, but the Drive is one of my favorite places to ride. Enjoy!
Old 07-06-2017, 08:36 PM

I try to go every year but i suck so much that I can't do more than 3 hours at 5 mph or so... how long it takes to do the whole 105???

Hey makoti how long it takes you to do those 60 miles??? Thinking on going like in 2 weeks in a weekday to avoid traffic.
Old 07-06-2017, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraman6970 View Post
I try to go every year but i suck so much that I can't do more than 3 hours at 5 mph or so... how long it takes to do the whole 105???

Hey makoti how long it takes you to do those 60 miles??? Thinking on going like in 2 weeks in a weekday to avoid traffic.
I usually average about 13-14mph, so a bit over 4hrs. I'm slowslowslow. Much faster on the way back because you do about 65% of your climbing on the way out.
Weekdays are really nice & you can easily park at the entrance, right before the ranger gate. I start at a park, not far away. Can't think of the name of it atm...
Old 07-06-2017, 11:09 PM

Might be going with wifey like in 2 weeks... week day....

We, all the paceliners in the area we should go there one day, maybe a century or something, a lot of other roads in valley aswell...
Old 07-07-2017, 01:43 PM

If this event ever happens as a paceline group, I will do my best to make it.
Old 07-07-2017, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobuseri View Post
If this event ever happens as a paceline group, I will do my best to make it.
The beauty of Skyline is you can't get lost. Go until you're half-baked, then turn around.
Old 07-07-2017, 04:00 PM

Yeah, been there a few times. Would be a lot more interesting as a Paceline group.

Quote:
Originally Posted by makoti View Post
The beauty of Skyline is you can't get lost. Go until you're half-baked, then turn around.
Old 07-07-2017, 04:37 PM

Thats why this needs to be a weekday, less traffic... more room... and a couple of support cars because you never know.
Old 08-13-2017, 10:41 PM

Not ready to do the full thing at the moment, but feel reassured after hearing the 13/14 avg above. Did a 20 mile out and back a couple of weeks ago after not riding for a while and averaged 11.7 and felt like crap about myself.