Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Rides, Events, Gatherings and Charity events

Old 06-25-2017, 10:48 AM

Hilly Billy Roubaix 2017 (West Virginia)

Come and gone. With 300 - 400 people in the race, I imagine some of you did it too. Great event with first and foremost lots of amazing volunteers, great vibe from other riders, amazing scenery, challenging course and well stocked aid stations. Kudos to everyone that had a hand putting it on.

About the ride: it rained hard in the Morgantown, WV area Friday night. So much so that a lot of the roads in the area washed out. This made the already muddy roads really slick. I don't think it affected my ride too much, if at all. While I can't say I enjoyed having to pedal through the foot deep streams, it added to the overall challenge of the ride. What would have really helped is being in shape. Lots of punchy climbing on the course. I didn't think anything was all that long or hard, with maybe the exception of one of the last dirt climbs.

I also had a hardtail MTB with full knobby tires so that helped a lot. I had purchased WTB horizons but the rain put an end to that idea.

Again, really well done event. I was on the fence in years past and glad I punched my ticket to do it.