Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Rides, Events, Gatherings and Charity events

Old 05-30-2017, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sitzmark View Post
Many thanks to Ian and Ed - the Next Tour was a terrific way to spend the morning. Perfect route, nice conversation and camaraderie... great time!!

Thanks for letting me tag along!
I can't top what Ti Designs just posted, but we were very happy to have you join the group! Thanks for making the effort (and the drive) to ride with us. And I agree, it was a terrific way to spend the morning!
Old 05-30-2017, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ti Designs View Post
It was great to have you along. Here's a pic of you drafting a turtle.
Damned embarrassing that he kept dropping me!
Old 07-09-2017, 09:29 PM
Ride 'yer bike.

Let's do this again. We're planning on July 22nd as the next go-round of the Next Tour. Ian and I have been exploring the little known back roads, dirt roads and even one non-road in an effort to put together another fantastic tour with far too many turns. As with all Next Tours, there's no cue sheet or GPS file. Ian knows where he's going and I'm either bringing up the rear or sprinting for town lines.

Details to follow...
Old 07-13-2017, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ti Designs View Post
Let's do this again. We're planning on July 22nd as the next go-round of the Next Tour. Ian and I have been exploring the little known back roads, dirt roads and even one non-road in an effort to put together another fantastic tour with far too many turns. As with all Next Tours, there's no cue sheet or GPS file. Ian knows where he's going and I'm either bringing up the rear or sprinting for town lines.

Details to follow...
I'm forever following in Ed's slipstream...

Yep, we're gonna ride on Saturday, July 22nd, leaving the Bedford Depot parking lot (80 Loomis St.) at 7am. We'll be back by noon after having traveled 60-65 miles, and climbed 3k feet. Should be about a 17 mph pace.

This time we head south towards Dover and Sherborn. We'll see some of the area's under-appreciated colleges (Regis, Babson, Wellesley), ride along the Charles River where it is still modest, and visit "ponyhenge." There will be one brief dirt section because it'll take us to one of my favorite, hidden idylls in the area.

Please join us--it's not a group ride without a group! (And send a pm to me or Ti Designs so we know you're coming. Thanks.)
Old 07-14-2017, 09:00 AM

Current plans are to be in Maine, but will join in if changes. Was a great ride last time .. no doubt will be this time too!
Old 07-14-2017, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sitzmark View Post
Current plans are to be in Maine, but will join in if changes. Was a great ride last time .. no doubt will be this time too!
Thanks, Mark! It was great to meet and ride with you. Enjoy your time in Maine, but the Next Tour wouldn't be a bad consolation prize, either!
Old 03-29-2022, 04:47 PM

Reviving an ancient thread, because Ti Designs and I are attempting to revive a good thing...the Next Tour! I can't believe it's been 4 1/2 years since we hosted the last one.

The premise of the Next Tour is simple: great people riding on great roads together. The emphasis is on keeping the group intact, so there's no GPS file--you've got to follow me! If you're feeling strong, you can ride at the front, or you can shelter in the group if you want to take it easy, but absolutely no one will be left behind.

We will be riding on Saturday, April 16th, departing at 7:30am from the Bedford Depot parking lot (80 Loomis St.) at the end of the Minuteman Bikeway. Given that it's still early in the season for most of us New Englanders, we're going to do a relaxed paced 45-50 miles. I don't imagine we'll average any more than about 16 mph for this one. I suspect that we'll return the Bedford Depot at about 11am.

More details as we get closer to the date, but I wanted to start to get the word out. Feel free to ask any questions here, or send me a PM. Hope to see some Paceliners in a couple of weeks!
Old 04-11-2022, 04:41 PM

Only five days till the Next Tour--come join us!

Here's a recap of the plan:

45-50 miles at a pace of no more than 16 mph. This is a no drop ride, so even if we spread out on the hills, we'll all remain together. We'll depart from the Bedford Depot at the end of the Minuteman Bikeway (80 Loomis St.) at 7:30am, and should return around 11am, including a coffee/snack stop. The route will head towards the Wayside in Sudbury. Baseball fans will get to see an under-appreciated local landmark, and we'll ride along Lake Boon and possibly take a peek at the controversial tank museum!

Including the two ride leaders, our numbers currently total ten riders. Let's add to that number! Post here or send me a PM if you're interested in joining us on Saturday.
Old 05-15-2022, 12:00 PM

It's time to plan for the next Next Tour!

We're going to be rolling out from the Bedford Depot (80 Loomis St.) at 7:00am on Saturday, May 21st. Ti Designs is going to be on his tandem for this ride, so we've made some accommodations for this in our route. The main portion of the ride will be about 40 miles and will take us through the wildlife refuge along Pelham Island Rd, and past some beautiful and peculiar sights/sites in Wayland and Lincoln. There will be a short stretch of dirt road.

We'll return to the Bedford Depot around 10:15am, I would guess. Ed will head back towards Arlington, but anyone who wants to continue riding can join me on an additional 12 mile loop in Bedford and Billerica, to take in some lovely horse farms and a road reputed to be one of the most haunted in Massachusetts That's what the internet says, so it must be true!

As is tradition for the Next Tour, there will be no GPX file--you've got to follow the leader--and we will keep the group intact. If you're feeling strong, you can ride at the front, or you can shelter in the group if you want to take it easy, but absolutely no one will be left behind. That was something we demonstrated last month when we dealt with a derailleur hanger that detonated 10 miles from the end of the route!

The Next Tour Overview

Saturday, May 21st
Where: Bedford Depot (80 Loomis St.)
Start: 7:00am
Return: ~10:15am
Distance: ~40 miles

Optional loop: +12 miles
Return: ~11:00am

Please send me a PM if you'd like to join us. That way, we'll know to look for you!
Old 07-10-2022, 02:37 PM

It's time for the latest edition of the Next Tour: Saturday, July 16th, 6:30am, Bedford Depot (80 Loomis St.) This is a social ride with a good group of riders. We’ve got 60 miles planned for the morning, so you can expect a little under four hours of riding--Ed needs to get to the shop by noon! While the exact route is still a mystery, hopefully we’ll show you some roads you’re not familiar with. We’ll either head north towards Dunstable or come up with a creative way of approaching Groton. Regardless, it’ll be fun! You can expect a small segment of dirt.

As is tradition for the Next Tour, there will be no GPX file--you've got to follow the leader--and we will keep the group intact. If you're feeling strong, you can ride at the front, or you can shelter in the group if you want to take it easy, but absolutely no one will be left behind.

Reply here or send me a PM if you have any questions or are thinking of joining us. Looking forward to seeing some Paceliners on the 16th!