Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Rides, Events, Gatherings and Charity events

Old 06-30-2016, 04:58 PM
Ride 'yer bike.

The next tour...

When I started riding there were a few riders who knew all of the best roads, and somehow connected them all to make the best rides ever. These days rides are either big events on simple routes that are kinda ugly, or people ride the same loops that they download from the internet. I want the old days back, I want to follow someone on wonderful roads that I could never find myself.

On July 9th we're gonna have the first "next tour", a route planned out by my friend Ian (our very own LeftyFreak) which is just like the old days - just follow the leader. To be honest, I ride with Ian every Thursday morning, but I want to bring more people into it, 'cause it's that good. I don't know how long the ride is, I don't know what the average speed will be. I'll leave it at this: If you're confident in your ability to ride, you should ask me for the details.

https://edsasslercoaching.com/rides/the-next-tour/
Old 07-02-2016, 12:19 AM
Princess Sweat

Wish I was still in New England.

Come out to SoCal huh?
Old 07-05-2016, 09:01 AM

Let me try to articulate what Ti Designs' idea of The Next Tour means to me...

We ride for the stories. The best rides have stories to tell, and when retold, they weave the fabric of our lives as cyclists.

The goal of the Next Tour is to create a ride that combines three elements--adventure, camaraderie, and challenge. Adventure means unexpected vistas, taking the less-traveled road, and seeing the familiar with new eyes. Camaraderie is about shared experience, whether with a single partner or a larger cadre. And challenge relies on seeking boundaries, pushing beyond what feels easy and comfortable.

The combinations are limitless, but if we do it right, if we hit upon the right mixture, then like magic, a ride becomes a story. A story ride. A ride that expresses why we do what we do, that knits us more closely as a community, that strengthens our identities as cyclists.
Old 07-05-2016, 09:11 AM

And now for the details!

When: Saturday, July 9th, 7:00am New time

We're going to meet at the Bedford Depot, which is right at the end of the Minuteman Bikeway. In keeping with Ti Designs' request to make this a GPS-free experience, there's not a Strava file, and I don't have an exact route planned. However, what I can tell you is that we're going to head north through Carlisle, Westford, into Dunstable, and briefly into NH--state line sprint! Pepperell and Groton could be targets as well. There will definitely be fresh baked goods on offer and the chance to ride some of the nicest roads in the area.

I expect that the ride will be at least 60 miles, and it will likely push 70, so probably 4-5 hours of riding time.

Send a PM to me and/or Ti Designs if you think you might be interested in joining us!

Last edited by leftyfreak; 07-06-2016 at 06:56 PM.
Old 07-05-2016, 09:30 AM
Administrator

sounds like a ton of fun, and wish i could ride with you guys. maybe one of the future rides. enjoy!
Old 07-05-2016, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
sounds like a ton of fun, and wish i could ride with you guys. maybe one of the future rides. enjoy!
Thanks for the kind words! A couple of years ago you said you'd join us on the VT Six-Gap, but we never followed up. Then you weren't free when we did Bear Mountain last year. We'll figure out how to meet up one of these days...
Old 07-06-2016, 06:58 PM

It turns out that Ti Designs is being summoned to work a shift at the shop, so we need to modify our start time. We're going to meet at 7:00am at Bedford Depot, rather than 7:30am.

Also, the weather predictions are not great at the moment, so if you're thinking of coming, send me a PM so we can be in touch if we decide to postpone. Thanks!
Old 07-07-2016, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftyfreak View Post
It turns out that Ti Designs is being summoned to work a shift at the shop, so we need to modify our start time. We're going to meet at 7:00am at Bedford Depot, rather than 7:30am.

Also, the weather predictions are not great at the moment, so if you're thinking of coming, send me a PM so we can be in touch if we decide to postpone. Thanks!
I can't make this ride specifically (Saturday session for my framebuilding class) but it sounds like we have similar taste in rides/destinations. I work 9-5 so your and Ed's Thursday rides don't work for me (as of a couple weeks ago I try to do 50 mile Thursdays but leave Somerville at 5:30am...), but maybe we could get a weekend ride together!
Old 07-07-2016, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandyrs View Post
I can't make this ride specifically (Saturday session for my framebuilding class) but it sounds like we have similar taste in rides/destinations. I work 9-5 so your and Ed's Thursday rides don't work for me (as of a couple weeks ago I try to do 50 mile Thursdays but leave Somerville at 5:30am...), but maybe we could get a weekend ride together!
The framebuilding class sounds great--you'd better keep the forum updated on the project!

It's also pretty awesome that you're getting yourself up to get in 50 miles of riding before work on Thursdays. Where do you usually end up going?

Ed and I haven't really talked about it, but I'm thinking that it might be cool to try to do a "Next Tour" on a monthly basis. Besides, it seems that I don't have another free weekend until the end of August. Maybe Labor Day weekend, or possibly the weekend before?
Old 08-12-2016, 06:10 PM
Ride 'yer bike.

It's back! Sunday, august 28th. Details are here: https://edsasslercoaching.com/rides/the-next-tour/
Old 08-12-2016, 08:38 PM

Interested! Don't know if I can hang, but definitely interested.
Old 08-19-2016, 12:08 PM

This time we're going to meet at Bedford Depot at 7am and we're going to head towards Harvard and Bolton, hopefully visiting some of the roads (and hills) that often get missed by the regular group rides in the area. Should be about 60 miles or so (maybe a little more if people are feeling frisky) and we'll visit Bolton Orchards for the best calorie per dollar baked goods around. We may also detour to Idylwilde in Acton (because Ti Designs' LOVES their salted caramel cupcakes) if we're feeling truly indulgent! We'll be back to Bedford Depot at about noon.

Should be a great ride: join us!
Old 08-21-2016, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeladragon View Post
I don't know if I can hang either...

You should join us--it's not a race! The ride should be about 60 miles, with the type of hills you'd expect from a ride that goes to Harvard. There are two notably steep, but short, sections that Ti Designs and I like to do when we're out that way. However, since I'll be making the route up as we go, I'll be able to adjust the route as necessary depending on how everyone is feeling (myself included, since travel has kept me off the bike for four weeks now).

Hope to see you, but please let us know your plans so we can look for you. And while it's straightforward to get to the Bedford Depot (unlike many places in the Boston area!) I'd be happy to give you directions if you'd like.

Besides, I'd like to see your Zanc in person!
Old 08-27-2016, 09:13 PM

Sounds like a great Boston event...
Old 08-28-2016, 05:36 AM
ZhugeLiang

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeladragon View Post
Dragon pal, after seeing the way you rode at D2R2...I am pretty confident you can hang with this group. Just do what Ti pal does...ride smart, let others do most of the work, don't stick your nose in the wind unless you have to. You will be fine. Ask Ti for some "free advice" after the ride.