Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-18-2017, 08:16 PM

Good point

Reading about your Madone made me think of myself. Sometimes you try for marginal gains and get marginal losses

Backed when I was racing seriously (2004)- I had a somewhat heavy time trial bike. It was an Aluminum Tiemeyer, and it worked great. It weighed over 21 lb. in race trim with a disc and aero front wheel.
But- The bike could "go" and I could "go" on the bike.
Even with a heavy bike I was top 5 in the prologue at Vuelta de Bisbee and 3rd in the tt in Tour of the Gila. Both have significant climbing.

After that I said to myself "I'll get a faster and lighter tt bike and I will go way faster!"

I went through multiple bikes- never again touching the performances that I had on my "heavy" bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgreene10 View Post
Nearly every race I do is close at the line and at 48, I’m happy to get ack to my prior season’s ftp each year. A 5w gain from bars would be kinda notable, to be honest and getting a handful more out of a good front wheel would add up to something helpful.

But, I have a Madone 9 that is driving me insane. I just can’t get it to fit right, even after buying a second bar-stem and having several pro fits. Measurements look right but I get a terrible shoulder and neck ache really fast. In fact, I’m futzing with it again in the garage this afternoon. An adjustable bar might help and I would be happy to give up a few watts to be released from this unending fitting saga.
Old 11-18-2017, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John H. View Post
Reading about your Madone made me think of myself. Sometimes you try for marginal gains and get marginal losses

Backed when I was racing seriously (2004)- I had a somewhat heavy time trial bike. It was an Aluminum Tiemeyer, and it worked great. It weighed over 21 lb. in race trim with a disc and aero front wheel.
Even with a heavy bike I was top 5 in the prologue at Vuelta de Bisbee and 3rd in the tt in Tour of the Gila. Both have significant climbing.

After that I said to myself "I'll get a faster and lighter tt bike and I will go way faster!"

I went through multiple bikes- never again touching the performances that I had on my "heavy" bike.
When your overall goal is to maintain a steady high speed, momentum is your friend.
Old 11-19-2017, 07:17 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRad704 View Post
Of those, I'd self assess and say
Bike fit. Did it myself but it feels right. I've never paid for a proper fitting but our would prob be a good idea.
Fitness. Def want more fitness. I have a plan to start winter strength work this week already. I want my CrossFit endurance back.
Fat. Batting .1000 there. I'm at my race weight and feel awesome. Wife and I are 4 months into a vegan diet and I've not seen any fitness regression in that time.
Finesse. Could always be better. Grew up on MTBs, so I feel comfortable with my skills. But CX has been teaching me to ride "lighter" and be more aware of the terrain. As for road riding and racing, tight groups don't bother me, probably because I haven't crashed yet.

All IMHO. Of course.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sounds great but I guess my point is aero or non aero bars has more to do with bike fit then being more 'aero'..just cuz they aren't round.
Old 11-19-2017, 10:09 PM
kg

Cautionary tales like this (and yours is a good one) abound in cycling. Yet it’s still so darn tempting when seemingly better tech comes available. The bike industry is expert at working our nerdy, techie, and competitive tendencies. BTW, I raced Gila and a top three in that ITT on any bike much less a heavy one is super impressive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John H. View Post

Old 11-20-2017, 12:40 PM

Tech

Right, because on paper it should be a slam dunk
Off the Tiemeyer- Get a Cervelo P3- instant extra speed. But it didn't work out that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgreene10 View Post
Cautionary tales like this (and yours is a good one) abound in cycling. Yet it’s still so darn tempting when seemingly better tech comes available. The bike industry is expert at working our nerdy, techie, and competitive tendencies. BTW, I raced Gila and a top three in that ITT on any bike much less a heavy one is super impressive.
Old 11-20-2017, 12:41 PM

Speed

Agreed- except both of these it's had significant vertical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kontact View Post
When your overall goal is to maintain a steady high speed, momentum is your friend.