Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 01-13-2018, 07:45 AM

Smile

Like having the FS and WTB in the same forum - fewer to check. Don't mind PSA posts at all, not particularly annoyed by "wish it were a 43cm headtube" comments, etc., in FS ads. Appreciate not having commercial vendors getting a pass to post in Classified, too.
Not everything in life has to be so tightly controlled as to need a 100 page manual to avoid transgressions Thanks Mods for all of your not-so-common sense and light hand on the steering wheel!
Old 01-13-2018, 08:26 AM

Is there a back end way to auto-ignore threads with PSA in the title?

Personally, I like seeing them and I like that all the classifieds are in one section (even if it gets a bit cluttered sometimes). I don't know all that much about modifying end user experience on message boards, but it would be nice if a user could change what their personal experience is.
Old 01-13-2018, 08:53 AM

RE: “Bumps” — I thought the norm was you only bump if: 1. Price reduction, 2. New inventory in original listing. I think that’s what I do - may be guilty of a “it’s been a week, refresh it” a few times too though.
Old 01-13-2018, 09:11 AM
Administrator

lol.

sorry kontact - but the concept that PSA's here are bad because they may "out" an item you are bidding on is literally laughable. further that others dont "deserve" to find the item because of all the work you did with research and searching is even funnier.

the sad truth is that the internet killed the good old days of "barn finds".
Old 01-13-2018, 09:13 AM

I’d be more worried about having such an aggresive tone in most posts while promoting your brand in your signature.
Old 01-13-2018, 09:30 AM
'97 Ti Legend

Perfect snowy winter topic, I enjoyed it last year, I look forward to reading it again next year. As someone who is guilty of "Nice bike! GLWS!" or "Glad its not my size." To me I'm just free bumping a nice bike or someone I like or respect in the forums bike back onto the front page so they don't have to.

I think the search feature here is not perfect, and often (unfortunately) my purchases are not of things I'm necessarily looking for, but things I happen across and suddenly realize I need. Also, I think that many folks here don't dig deeper than the first page or two, so yeah I bet bumps do make a big difference, though I personally think that if your things are not selling, you should really be dropping your prices.

I do wish people would use more detailed titles, put a size and maybe aa price in there. Teasers are not helping you sell your frame.

But the most important thing anyone said above is that there is no need to bump, SOLD. It is just putting unavailable things back on the front page. Just edit your title in ADVANCED.

All in all, the mods do a great--thankless--job. I don't feel like we need more rules or subforums, folks could just be a bit more thoughtful.

Oh, and mostly PSAs rock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCfixie View Post
As a relative newcomer....

3 - Why allow responses to classifieds (the cool bike bro response is not helpful and just clogs up threads and the section)? Paceline allows so many PMs (unlike across the hall) so there really is no need to respond in the thread anyway if you are interested. If the seller finds they are answering the same question over and over via PMs they can just update the thread

4 - Do not allow "bumps" or enforce a 48 hour rule. Again, bumping every few hours is annoying. It is 2018 and the search feature is really good so do we, as buyers, really need a bump from a seller? Do these bumps from sellers really make things sell faster? Consider both sides people as many forum users are buyers and sellers.

5 - See suggestion 1. Please, Please, Please use better subjects.
Old 01-13-2018, 09:36 AM
Administrator

i agree that PSAs rock.

just look at that SWEETpink orange fade Serotta Providence here picked up due to my PSA. perfect example of a great PSA success story!

i would also wholeheartedly agree that better titles would be helpful for everyone!
Old 01-13-2018, 09:43 AM
50 bpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicycletricycle View Post
I like them, it’s like I have a spy network.

I have had something I was bidding on on eBay outed in a PSA, so what, it was a public listing in the first place.
And ... drop the microphone.
Old 01-13-2018, 09:46 AM

PSA is a great tool and I have picked up my fair share of deals because of them. Every once in a while it drives up the price when the psa is an eBay item. It is what it is as I was thinking about purchasing the 40th anniversary meivici before a psa outed it. The current price with over 24 hours to go is now over two grand. I guess I'm going to wait until a more appropriately priced ottrott or meivici comes along in 54cm...
Old 01-13-2018, 09:48 AM

Seems like the initial premise here was that the PSAs, etc. dilute things when using the 'new post' function. An easy solution is to avoid using the 'new post' function and to just go directly into whatever sub-forum you're interested. Unread/new posts are highlighted. I have no problem with the PSAs.
Old 01-13-2018, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtbadge View Post
I’d be more worried about having such an aggresive tone in most posts while promoting your brand in your signature.
This is a great comment.
Old 01-13-2018, 10:44 AM

You take away PSAs, I think you'd take away a legit hobby for a half dozen people here. That's all they seem to do is hunt the interwebs for stuff.

Some Google Fu ain't gonna be the path to some exclusive deal man.
Old 01-13-2018, 11:17 AM

I agree that we have a lot of PSAs but as long as they are so identified with general description of the item in the headline I only have to read ones that interest me.

I would suggest that some folks who are offended by PSAs are those who are always looking for good deals on many different items. This might be because they like to flip things or they just like to try many different bikes and components while not spending much $$$.

I'll bet there have been some cases where a Forumite who doesn't routinely make wide checks of ads has found a bike he always admired for sale through a PSA. My opinion is that PSAs have more positive aspects than negative ones.
Old 01-13-2018, 11:18 AM

I think the discussions that take place in classified ads here are just a part of the culture of this forum, IMHO it's better for it. If you just want the facts and only the facts with no comments there are already forums for you out there. We discuss bikes/items, sometimes harass the seller (mostly good natured), clarify details or history on items as well. It's all good and if you waste a minute reading it, well you've only lost a minute.
Old 01-13-2018, 11:21 AM
SageOfMilwaukee

It would be a lot easier if there were "stickys" for

SMALL BIKE PSA's (50cm and below)
MEDIUM BIKE PSA's (54cm and below)
LARGE BIKE PSA's (56-58cm)
XL BIKE PSA's (60cm and up)

then people could just update the thread instead of creating a whole new post.
Closed Thread