Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-12-2018, 01:16 PM

Fit depends a lot I think of where you are set up within acceptable parameters.
If you are towards the edge of your tolerable seat height, another 5mm is a big deal. Same with reach I would say.
I get it, but I am also pretty neurotic re bike fit...
Old 01-12-2018, 01:23 PM

I bought a 115 x -8 31.8 Deda stem for cheap on Ebay recently. The seller has several available.

https://tinyurl.com/y7eyzsfk

Instagram
Old 01-12-2018, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kontact View Post
Why are people answering like there aren't plenty of 115mm stems available?
This^^^, and I have seen quite a few OEM stems in the in-between sizes (I bought 100, 105 and 115mm 31.8mm threadless stems and several 25mm premium tires at the CO-OP last night for I think $5 each).

But stem discussions are lively, and I have myself noted some odd differences in the way quill stems have been measured and spec'd over many year's time.

Nitto and Japanese makers usually measured "correctly", drawing board style, i.e. center-to-center along the centerline of the extension itself.
But many if not most racing stems (TTT, Cinelli, etc., and even Shimano AX) back in the day measured in-the-field style, across the top as drewellison mentioned, and this typically produces a 5mm longer measurement and thus a shorter actual extension length for any given published/printed/stamped length.

Then one more oddball comes from Nitto in the form of their Pearl (i.e. Pearl 10, Pearl 11, etc.) stems, which measure the perpendicular center-to-center length NOT along the 17 degrees of the extension. So these Pearl stems measure shorter than if measured by the drawing-board measurement along the extension centerline, and thus are 5mm longer than their given number.

I keep a length of handlebar center handy in each of the common sizes, ~32mm and ~26mm for sliding into the bar clamps of any two or three stems that I wish to compare, and also have a piece of 1" fork steerer for comparing (usually Japanese, or Kalloy, etc.) any two or three stems with 25.4mm clamps.

And yes, to answer a question, 5mm does make a noticeable difference, and 10mm is very noticeable I would say.

Oh, and I have yet to note any extension length discrepancies myself when measuring modern threadless stems, but perhaps I had become too trusting?
I would think that the very small angles (6-8 degrees) of most of these would not make for much discrepancy in any case.

Last edited by dddd; 01-12-2018 at 09:49 PM.
Old 01-13-2018, 09:32 AM

Gloves with more or less padding?
Old 01-13-2018, 10:12 AM

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showt...hlight=ritchey