Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-11-2018, 08:34 PM

REI Experience...chime in!

I have a quick question for you Paceliners.

Like alot of you, I'm a fan of REI. I'm curious: How many of you have had issues with warranty-return matters?

I never had a "not so great" time at REI ( I don't shop much compared to others) but wondering if my experience was just a bad day opposed to the new norm after the policy change a few years ago.

Thanks in advance!
Old 01-11-2018, 08:57 PM
Vendor

I have a Princeton Tec headlamp I bought from REI that I tried to get warrantied after the switch stopped working and wouldn't turn off the light. Despite Princeton Tec's lifetime warranty, they refused to even offer any kind of credit saying and said it was normal wear and tear. I might've used the light on maybe 5 camping trips. The REI store rep brushed me off by telling me to call her supervisor and wrote down a number on a post it. I left several messages - none of which were returned and eventually gave up. I also tried calling Princeton Tec, but could never get through to a real person, left several messages, and then also gave up.
Old 01-11-2018, 09:03 PM
Everyone's Favorite Droid

I've only had good experiences. Throughout my lifetime as a customer, I've probably done 50 returns and/or exchanges.
Old 01-11-2018, 09:08 PM

Hey Bobby,

I haven't dealt with any warranty issues with REI, primarily because I rarely shop there anymore.

My gripe with REI is:
You can't find a NATURAL FIBER in their store, anywhere. No Cotton, no Wool, maybe the token/ odd goose down sleeping bag. But the whole darned box store and everything in it is plastic POLY-this and POLY-that.

Best luck finding stars & stripes on anything, either.

Not like the good ole days - that's for sure.

Blessings to all
Old 01-11-2018, 09:23 PM

Some years ago REI was still taking anything back under warranty, even if you had no record of purchasing it there or if the manufacturer didn't provide adequate warranty coverage. They were legendary for taking back twenty-year-old boots worn down to the midsole and giving a new pair in replacement. Well, they don't do that any longer. You have to pay attention to what they are doing over the last 3-4 years, which is more or less the timeframe in which new policies have been in place. You have to have proof of purchase. Your warranty is limited to the manufacturer's warranty. Wear and tear or user abuse isn't covered.

I've had items like a two-year-old Arcteryx Alpha SV jacket denied coverage where a seam tape had pulled loose (mind you, this is a $750 jacket). That was definitely a defect, and Arcteryx ended up covering it directly. I had a pair of Lowa Renegade II's denied coverage after a year with very light use when the lining fabric of the toe box had rubbed through in one spot. That was an arguable case, although the tread was basically mint. And I had a couple Black Diamond headlamps that stopped turning on and they wouldn't warranty for no clear reason. In that case, a salesperson with more than the average experience pulled me aside and explained that dust gets into the switch of Black Diamond headlamps, and suggested I open it up and blow out the battery compartment. I did and it fixed the problem. Still, it was a warranty issue and REI didn't cover it. All three of those instances were in the past three years. I'm not even sure they will take refunds after a certain amount of time. Doing that is expensive and while they have tax advantages over for-profit outdoor equipment retailers, they tend to be relatively inefficient at maintaining some selling economies, so they are fighting for decent margins. Go read their financials sometime; they make interesting reading.
Old 01-11-2018, 09:31 PM

Wha?? Mostly what I buy from them are wool socks and base layers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by K u r t View Post
Hey Bobby,

I haven't dealt with any warranty issues with REI, primarily because I rarely shop there anymore.

My gripe with REI is:
You can't find a NATURAL FIBER in their store, anywhere. No Cotton, no Wool, maybe the token/ odd goose down sleeping bag. But the whole darned box store and everything in it is plastic POLY-this and POLY-that.

Blessings to all
Old 01-11-2018, 09:35 PM

Like a few above, I no longer support REI

Not enough Merino wool stuff, which is all I wear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11.4 View Post
Go read their financials sometime; they make interesting reading.
Now that is funny! However, I am glad there are guys like you here who can explain financial stuff--learning some of that (vs trying to digest it myself) is in fact interesting.

Last edited by jimcav; 01-11-2018 at 10:32 PM.
Old 01-11-2018, 09:59 PM

god save us

from the internet truth told in this way!!!

On the other hand, you generally pay MSRP at REI and get great service that matches. And then they pay a dividend at the end of the year.

Quote:
Hey Bobby,

My gripe with REI is:

Blessings to all

Last edited by eddief; 01-11-2018 at 10:04 PM.
Old 01-11-2018, 11:04 PM

I'm pretty much done with them. I respect that they treat their employees better than Walmart and invest in some version of Corporate Social Responsibility (how that jives with turning into a company that pushes its housebrand, cheap Made in China goods is beyond me), but their business has moved in a very corporate and mainstream direction that just doesn't work for me. There are too many other "mountain" stores in Portland and real bike shops. YMMV in towns where that isn't the case...I guess it beats Dick's Sporting Goods if that's your only other option.
Old 01-11-2018, 11:11 PM

Most everything is at MSRP, but service has always been great. I do like the few time a year garage sales. I've gotten several nice outerwear pieces over the years for steep discounts. A lightweight Marmot rain jacket for 60% off, Patagonia convertible winter jacket for 50% off, Arcteryx zip up for 50% off. Not the best place for routine needs, but you can get good scores.

The only recent major return I did was for a giro synthe. It arrived with several depressions in the shell - looked like it had taken a couple hits. Exchanged with out question.
Old 01-11-2018, 11:49 PM

I have been very happy with each visit to REI. Never a problem with returned product.
Old 01-12-2018, 12:05 AM

I've had several issues with online misships (once a pair of fenders arrived sans hardware, and a Jacket was tagged as XL but was actually a M). Both times they let me keep the item and reshipped. I even offered to return both items to my nearest store and they refused.
Old 01-12-2018, 12:31 AM
Boeuf Chaîne

Just stopped by today and bought some Salomon winter hiking boots (on sale) to keep in my car for emergencies. (there's a steep hill going into my subdivision and if for some reason the Subie can't make it up I have an ~2 mile walk in to the house)

While there I noticed some Power Wash detergent that I've been thinking of getting and so I picked that up too. I hope it helps get the stink out of my "plastic" jerseys.
Old 01-12-2018, 03:30 AM

Quote:
My gripe with REI is:
This is complete and utter Bu11sh.t

Verify for yourself . . . go on a scavenger hunt on rei.com for natural fibre items.

Last edited by ORMojo; 01-12-2018 at 01:29 PM.
Old 01-12-2018, 03:51 AM
Lanterne rouge

I love the whining about the fact they wont just take anything back anymore. How can that keep on. I dont think they should return used gear with no real defect. Its just poor business and is not sustainable. If you use a jacket for two years and it begins to come apart well, you used the damn thing. Things happen. The manufacturer replaced it on goodwill, good on them. Its not up to the retailer to extend goodwill coverage to someones products.
REI is a good store and they have good products. I like to go to a store and look, feel and try on. Then I buy it there and leave with it. Convenence trumps price many times. REI is good for that if they have what you want.
I am also a fan of other similar retailers, Duluth Trading comes to mind. Good products that last.