Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-11-2018, 10:04 AM
Kind of OK

Spyre vs Spyre SLC?

Ok...I admit it, I'm getting a disc equipped Ridley X-Fire. It's coming with Hayes brakes which I'd like to replace with the dual piston Spyres, but I relly can't see the diff between the Spyres and the Spyre SLCs...is it just the carbon arm?
Also... the discs that are coming on it are so very boring...are there discs with puppies and flowers CNCed into them?
Old 01-11-2018, 10:31 AM
hoolered

I've had both. The SLC version threads the brake cable through the arm and a smaller piece of hardware pinches the cable which kinda gnarls up the brake cable during adjustments. The standard spyre doesn't thread the cable through the arm and it is held with a larger 5mm bolt. I didn't feel any performance difference between the two but the cable issue matters to me.
I'd pass on Paul Klampers if you're headed that way.
Old 01-11-2018, 10:43 AM
Kind of OK

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummus_aquinas View Post
I'd pass on Paul Klampers if you're headed that way.
Not even in consideration. Paul S#!T is nice but the effectiveness/price ratio in not there.
What about discs with unicorns cut into them?
Old 01-11-2018, 11:41 AM

Shimano IceTech and Sram Centerline rotors are supposed to be nice.

I wouldn't know, though. I don't even remember what brand are on mine, but the bike stops. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Old 01-11-2018, 12:21 PM

Not sure how you're building the bike, and whether Campy is in the mix, but TRPs are supposedly terrible with Campy levers. Paul's Klampers are the only cable discs I've heard of that are optimized for Campy.

Article: http://road.cc/content/review/139385...al-disc-brakes

Last edited by mistermo; 01-11-2018 at 02:09 PM.
Old 01-11-2018, 02:06 PM
Kind of OK

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermo View Post
Not sure how you're building the bike, and whether Campy is in the mix, but TRPs are supposedly terrible with Campy levers. Paul's Klampers are the only cable discs I've heard of that are optimized for Campy.
Campy 10s: yes. I'll have to look into that.

Did some reading and it looks like the Spyre will be OK but HY/Whatever not so much.
Ran across this tidbit across the fetid swamp:

Quote:
A (very) quick measure of a v2 Ergo lever and an Ultrashift lever shows the pivot centre to cable carrier centre distance is different - so a v2 Ergo lever pivot centre is 18 mm from the cable carrier centre whereas an UltraShift lever pivot is nearer 25 mm from the centre - so an UltraShift lever will recover proportionally more cable per angular movement but distance-for-distance down the lever blade the braking force is applied, the force applied at the caliper will be less (think see-saws ...)

As the UltraShift lever blade is 15 mm longer than a v2 Ergopower blade though (120 mm pivot to tip against 100 mm), and is arguably ergonomically better, though, this disadvantage is mostly negated.

A quick bit of arithmetic gives us for UltraShift 25/120 = 0.20, for v2 ErgoPower 18/100=0.18 ... so the force multiplication is almost identical at the tip of the lever ... this is logical in that Campagnolo did not grossly modify the geometry of their brake calipers with the introduction of the UltraShift brake lever.

Last edited by Lewis Moon; 01-11-2018 at 02:21 PM.
Old 01-11-2018, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewis Moon View Post
Campy 10s: yes. I'll have to look into that.
I'm in the same boat, too many Campy + Spyre horror stories so I ultimately purchased a set of Yokozuna Motokos which reportedly (feedback on multiple forums) work well with Campy, specifically older 10s levers. Unfortunately they are still in the box awaiting the frameset.
Old 01-11-2018, 03:00 PM
Vendor

The problem with Spyre and Campy as found out from others and personally is that the levers don't pull enough cable. But, you can pull on that little horseshoe shaped cable anchor when fastening the cable to set the pistons a little closer to the rotor.
Old 01-11-2018, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donevwil View Post
I'm in the same boat, too many Campy + Spyre horror stories so I ultimately purchased a set of Yokozuna Motokos which reportedly (feedback on multiple forums) work well with Campy, specifically older 10s levers. Unfortunately they are still in the box awaiting the frameset.
Same here, exactly. Got the Motokos, but still in box, uninstalled.
Old 01-11-2018, 03:04 PM
aka RAEKWON

don't use spyres with campy. Its possible to get it to work but even after spending enough time and tuning it all up (and trust me I spent hours) they still don't brake great. For a while I thought it was me but then I have heard from multiple people that they have the same problem.

Then there are stories that the spyre is just a crappy brake... regardless of the brand of shifters.

I say skip this whole thing and go hydraulic, if you are going to use discs, might as well choose the best brake system, otherwise why do discs at all?

If you are campy unfortunately their disc system is expensive and not super common yet (also only flat mount) so you can either do BB7s or the klampers (which seem great but for that price you can get shimano rs685s)
Old 01-11-2018, 03:16 PM

I use spyres with campy and they work pretty great.
Make sure to use compressionless housing and nice cables

I am curious about the klamper for campy though
Old 01-11-2018, 03:50 PM
Vendor

My Campy / Spyre set up is working decent enough. I'm running Jagwire compressionless housing. The stock pads aren't great, but are much better now after a bedding in period. No, they're not as good as hydraulics, but going hydraulics would've been a lot more expensive. My setup includes Campy 10 Ergos on an otherwise 9 spd Shimano mtn drive train. I had most of the parts on hand and the only new thing I bought were the Spyres (and compressionless housing). It was about $100 for both calipers - very hard to beat that price.
Old 01-11-2018, 04:21 PM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by weaponsgrade View Post
My Campy / Spyre set up is working decent enough. I'm running Jagwire compressionless housing. The stock pads aren't great, but are much better now after a bedding in period. No, they're not as good as hydraulics, but going hydraulics would've been a lot more expensive. My setup includes Campy 10 Ergos on an otherwise 9 spd Shimano mtn drive train. I had most of the parts on hand and the only new thing I bought were the Spyres (and compressionless housing). It was about $100 for both calipers - very hard to beat that price.
well, the spyres new are over $100. Add the campy levers if you don't have them now you are at about $200 maybe more. You can now get used hydro sytems (levers but caliper for about $250 - $300
Old 01-12-2018, 08:59 AM

I am currently running Potenza levers with SLC and compressionless cable and I'm happy with it. Previously had Chorus 10 levers which worked fine too with the SLC. But then I'm happy with my Paul canti's on another bike.
Old 01-12-2018, 10:26 AM

+1 on Campy with TRP Spyre.
worked perfect. Tried with both compressionless and standard cable and worked great.
Key is to attach the cable with actuation arm already a bit tensioned and tune the brake pads close to the rotor. After that it works superb.
Once you learn the installation steps properly, it works.
However given how close the pads are on the rotors, it is imperative to have straight rotors to avoid noise.
Please DO UPGRADE the brake pads. The TRP stock pads are horrendous. A $40 extra buys you Swiss Stop Sintered pads which are grippy and v silent.

last, the SLC version is junk. As rightly said above, the clamping mechanism to attach the cable to the actuation arm, chews the cable. And if you have intricate brake house routing changing the cable is not easy.
The normal version is only few grams heavier and has a much better clamping.
hope it helps