Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-10-2018, 11:01 AM

Selle Italia?

I am sure many here have experience with the saddles and am curious about trying one. Is there a model of theirs that typically works well for the general public? The Flight caught my eye but they also have a gel version. Currently I’m riding a Romin Evo but was wondering.

Thanks ahead!
Old 01-10-2018, 11:28 AM

I recently switched from Specialized Toupes to Selle Italia Flite Kit Carbonio Flow. It's a flat saddle like the Toupe, so no flip like the Romin. I'm happy with it. One thing you will find about Selle Italia is that they have a gazillion models with lengthy names. Look close at the specs before you buy.
Old 01-10-2018, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovelhd View Post
I recently switched from Specialized Toupes to Selle Italia Flite Kit Carbonio Flow. It's a flat saddle like the Toupe, so no flip like the Romin. I'm happy with it. One thing you will find about Selle Italia is that they have a gazillion models with lengthy names. Look close at the specs before you buy.
Like a million models..yeah
Old 01-10-2018, 12:53 PM

I used the SLR Gel Flow Max. I have used Toupe, Romin, Arione, Aliante, Flite but this one fits the bill.
Old 01-10-2018, 01:16 PM

I really like my selle italia slr tekno flow saddle, wish I could find another one for a great price.
Old 01-10-2018, 04:31 PM

Quote:
That's all I've ridden for years. For my anatomy, best saddle I've ever been on - hands down. I never think about saddle issues on any ride...
Old 01-10-2018, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Three bikes and three Flite Kit Carbonio Flow for me. Saddles are very personal though. I have ridden various flite models since 1995.

Jeff
Old 01-10-2018, 05:38 PM

My favorite long ride saddle is an older SLC Gel Flow that I wish I could have afforded two of at the time. It's the only saddle I feel doesn't punish me when I am exhausted.
Old 01-10-2018, 05:46 PM

For one who has never really ridden one much, which model is closest to an arione? (Asking for a friend
Old 01-10-2018, 06:14 PM
Vendor

When looking at the saddles check the length and width numbers. that will help you get the right saddle.

Popular with people is SLR, Flite(1990 model), SuperFlow in small or large. The kit carbonio is a carbon rail, carbon shell. That's all it means. And they offer that in pretty much every single one.
Old 01-10-2018, 06:49 PM

I'm just starting to get used to the Flite Trans Am (I like the cutout on most saddles) which is flatter than my usual and favorite ProLink Trans Am Gel Flow which is more swoopy from front to back.

And yeah, like a MILLION combinations
Old 01-10-2018, 06:50 PM

I 'm a big fan of the Romin Evo and have them on several bikes. I saw this Selle Italia on Amazon which appears very similar to the Romin Evo.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I decided to give it a try on a frame I just got. It showed up in the mail today, so I will report back after I get a few miles on it.
Old 01-10-2018, 06:51 PM
needs adult supervision

Selle Italia make very nice saddles but they’re priced noticeably higher than the big S or many Fizik saddles. I can’t honestly say I feel the price difference. The SI saddles I’ve ridden I’ve liked, but I find myself gravitating to more affordable saddles that perform just as well.
Old 01-11-2018, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Climb01742 View Post
Selle Italia make very nice saddles but they’re priced noticeably higher than the big S or many Fizik saddles. I can’t honestly say I feel the price difference. The SI saddles I’ve ridden I’ve liked, but I find myself gravitating to more affordable saddles that perform just as well.
The Specialized equivalent to the Kit Carbonio Flow is the S-Works Toupe, which is $300. I paid $130 each for two Selle Italias, admittedly on closeout.
Old 01-11-2018, 09:31 AM

Quote:
The Specialized equivalent to the Kit Carbonio Flow is the S-Works Toupe, which is $300. I paid $130 each for two Selle Italias, admittedly on closeout.
Agreed. The only new saddle I ever purchased was a custom color job. There are too many nearly new/not right for me second hand saddles out there to justify paying retail, IMO.