Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-10-2018, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeregrineA1 View Post
If you like more remote/less traveled destinations, I would save the Grand Canyon for a summer trip and go to the north rim. 10% of the visitors and a completely different experience-in my view much nicer. Much, much nicer. The south rim is crowded and very touristy. Fly to Vegas, drive 3 hours to the north rim. Make reservations for a cabin 6-9 months in advance, eat at the lodge. Great hikes, incredible views, amazing forests and meadows. We went in 2017 the 3rd weekend in July. Temps were in the low 80's during the day and high 50's at night. We were just past peak wildflowers and it was still great.

Sedona as a stand alone from PHX would be a great 4 day weekend. Plenty to do and escape the huddled masses in town.

Likewise Zion and Bryce from LAS. Easy drive. If you go to Zion, check out Grafton, a ghost town south of the park entrance and adjacent to Gooseberry Mesa. Gooseberry is also great, though likely better if you have a mountain bike.

If it were me, I'd stick with one location in any event for a four day weekend. Plenty to do at all of the locations.
Sounds like you could make a case for 3 trips out this way, and with good reason.

The North Rim is really untapped, but at 5 hours from LAS and a short season without being really hardcore, it is easily explained.
Old 01-10-2018, 07:52 PM

Spent a week in Sedona last spring ...

Truly remarkable area. We sprung for a really nice hotel/resort. The location is perfect for relaxing and heading out on adventures. We hiked a bit, trip to Grand Canyon and a separate trip out to Antelope Canyon and Navajo country. Lots of nature sites to take in. Weather is spectacular then. The mountain biking is amazing although we did not. We get out to the White Line Trail when taking a jeep tour. Saw some riders with mad skills riding it. Food was great in town (walking distance).

Easily top vacation we have taken.

Warren
Old 01-10-2018, 08:50 PM
il Curmudgeoni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zee View Post
Interesting! Any particular reason for the lack of interest in the GC?
I don't know how to explain it....it was cool but I guess I expected more somehow given all the superlatives I'd read about the place over the years. I love the outdoors but it just didn't thrill me like other places that I've visited. Perhaps if I'd hiked down inside the Canyon I'd have left feeling different.
Old 01-10-2018, 09:18 PM

Can't recommend Sedona enough. Great short hikes. http://www.hikesedona.com/most-popular-hiking-trails/. Good food...if bike rentals, jeep tours... Good hotels. We've stayed here: https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Re...a_Arizona.html . We've also stayed at the "Star" but that was just wierd...(they rented us the front desk/caretakers room!)

I've visit the Grand Canyon but only do a day trip. Can't get enough of the view. I've found the family couldn't take more than some hours there.

I'd try a side trip to Prescott and "Whiskey Row" or a night in a b&b. The Whiskey Off-Road race is April 27-29th so either avoid or go then! No in-betweens on this choice...crowds...

Do all this before May!!!!
Old 01-11-2018, 06:43 AM

The South Rim can be done in a single day if you are not going to hike down. If they still show the film at the Imax theater just outside the park, see it first. Before you go to GC, read the book "The Emerald Mile".
Old 01-11-2018, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhespenheide View Post
I've lived (and traveled extensively) in the area.

If you don't like crowds, Sedona/South Rim/Zion are all to be avoided. However, crowds can easily be mitigated at all three -- more or less.

For four days on the ground, I'd recommend Sedona for the entire time. Pricey but beautiful hotels, excellent food across the gamut of price ranges. Oak Creek, the town just south, is less expensive. If you start hiking relatively early, the trails will not be crowded, especially on the longer hikes with more elevation gain. Or hike early, come back into town for a nice lunch, and then head back out in the late afternoon. Lots of options for different kinds of hikes, too -- canyon versus ridgeline versus hilltop.

The South Rim has great backpacking, but the day-hiking is less varied than Sedona. And the main trails basically drop down into the canyon, then climb right back up out of it. My favorite thing to do at the South Rim is to bicycle the Hermit's Rest road, which is limited to shuttle buses and bikes.

Zion has exploded in popularity in the last ten years, with almost all of the visitors in a small section (of a small park). I love it, but it's hard to manage these days. And the best hikes there are problematic if you're afraid of heights.
I've been in Vegas since 1990, before that grew up and lived in Phoenix. I'd pretty much agree with mhespenheide, do it out of Phoenix, head to Sedona and the south rim. The south rim is the rim that's photographed and that people think of when they think of the Grand Canyon. Between Sedona/Oak Creek and the South Rim, would be easy to spend 4 or 5 days. And while there are crowds, it's not Disneyland, or NYC. There's room outdoors in the west. Also, the drive up from Phoenix, up 17 to Flagstaff, really is one of the most scenic "freeway" drives you'll find. Much better than the drive from Vegas.
I've been all over Zions, and while it is beautiful, unless your going to hike it extensively, or bike it, I don't see spending more than a day. And, the north rim is wonderful, much quieter, but it is not the South Rim.
Also, if airfare is cheaper into and out of Vegas, that same Sedona/South rim is equally as doable from either airport. I just like the drive up from Phoenix more than from Vegas.

Last edited by bking; 01-11-2018 at 11:07 AM.
Old 01-11-2018, 11:52 AM

I went on "light" weekend excursions to some of these places. Some thoughts:

1)Sedona/Antelope Canyon may be shorter than Sedona/Grand Canyon? Short hikes, may be less crowded this time of the year. It is less of a grand scale the than the Grand Canyon but lovely lights and shadows during the day and is probably a one-day or half-day hike if you plan it. The GC is also not far from Sedona.

2) Zion: for the Narrows - if the water is not too high, you can rent drysuit bottoms and walking sticks from any number of outdoor companies in the town. It may still be crowded but again, this may be the off season. You have to be a little careful where you put your feet but it is not too bad, unless you are dealing with significant orthopedic or balance issues.

Bryce can be as easy or hard as you want - the Park Service has done a really nice job in making a lot of points accessible.

3) We did a hike to Havasu Canyon - this needs more planning as you have to purchase a permit from the Havasu Nation to gain access. There is a lot of hiking but it is mostly flat land; there can be some rockiness in the gravel/stones on the path. I am not sure if you can hire a mule to take you down or not.

Many parks there.
Old 03-28-2018, 11:17 AM

I appreciate the wisdom and advice everyone has shared!

We have an Air BNB in Flagstaff and rental car, but the amount of trails in the area is simply overwhelming. Could anyone speak into some of the 'must do' in the South Rim/Flagstaff/Sedona region? We are physically capable and will be good for some distance/elevation, even though everything starts at a mile up!

Small aside; I thought it would be great to do a Rim, River, Rim and when my wife did some quick searching, relayed the 'bad idea' most people were commenting. I thought it was for families of 4 with a grumpy kid or 2 until I saw it was 17 miles with 4400' gain on the return. Holy. Cow.

Food spots would be very useful as well. We are landing EARLY in Phoenix and would love a great breakfast spot, as well as anything for lunch/dinner in Sedona/Flagstaff/South Rim. Yelp has been combed over, but it is impersonal. Higher end is fine.
Old 03-28-2018, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zee View Post
I appreciate the wisdom and advice everyone has shared!

We have an Air BNB in Flagstaff and rental car, but the amount of trails in the area is simply overwhelming. Could anyone speak into some of the 'must do' in the South Rim/Flagstaff/Sedona region? We are physically capable and will be good for some distance/elevation, even though everything starts at a mile up!

Small aside; I thought it would be great to do a Rim, River, Rim and when my wife did some quick searching, relayed the 'bad idea' most people were commenting. I thought it was for families of 4 with a grumpy kid or 2 until I saw it was 17 miles with 4400' gain on the return. Holy. Cow.

Food spots would be very useful as well. We are landing EARLY in Phoenix and would love a great breakfast spot, as well as anything for lunch/dinner in Sedona/Flagstaff/South Rim. Yelp has been combed over, but it is impersonal. Higher end is fine.
Brunch in tempe near the airport @ Snooze is pretty good.

Dinner in Flag: Pizzicletta - my favorite place in the area, Pato Thai, lumberyard brew pub.

Brunch in Flag - MartAnnes Burrito Palace

IMO the food sucks, i mean really sucks!!!, in the south rim. If you can i'd recommend bringing food with you from Flag. If that is not an option, and if you can hold off and avoid south rim food it is worth returning to the interstate to a small town called Williams. There are a few good places there.
Old 03-28-2018, 12:26 PM
extremely tall

Piggybacking onto this (great) thread as we're heading out there next week. Flying into Vegas, renting a camper van, driving to the South Rim for one full day there, then Vermillion Cliffs, then Zion, then back to Vegas.

With the camper, assuming there's no snow, is there any reason we can't go to the north rim and hike/explore? We'd kind of written it off due to official seasonal opening/closing dates but if the weather window is good, any reason not to go up there? Recommendations for camping, hikes? We'll be able to be self-sufficient in terms of food, etc for a couple of days.

Thanks!
JC
Old 03-28-2018, 03:16 PM

Good breakfast places I've been to in Scottsdale since you'll be heading north:

https://www.hashkitchen.com/

http://butterscafe.com/
Old 03-28-2018, 04:04 PM

plus a don henley statue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Likes2ridefar View Post
if you can hold off and avoid south rim food it is worth returning to the interstate to a small town called Williams. There are a few good places there.
worth a pic
Old 03-28-2018, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zee View Post
let you tell me.

Bad habits from another forum; i'll have to update the title!
tfc!