Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-09-2018, 09:40 AM

OT: LYTM where to Spring Break

Hello All,

I am hiding this conversation here rather than on a travel forum because I am trying to be sneaky and plan a surprise trip for my wife to the Southwest. We have been talking about going to Grand Canyon for years, and I think our time might be too short to really do 'everything' we want.

The idea for GC would be fly into Phoenix on Tuesday night, spend some time in Sedona on Wednesday/Thursday, and get to the Southern Rim after that. We will have to return on Sunday, as we both have to be both back to work on Monday.

The alternative is flying into Vegas and doing Zion/Bryce. This looks enticing for different reasons. 2 things I KNOW we cannot do; Angel's landing and the Narrows. My wife cannot get to the 3rd story of a fire tower (heights ) and the Narrows would be too cold to walk in water for hours.

We like nicer hotels and food when possible, as well as remote/scenic activities during the day.

As an example, for our 1 year anniversary, we explored nearly 40 miles on foot and drove over 200 in 3 days around the greater San Francisco. In other words, vacations are not restful.

TLDR;

Have you gone to Sedona/CG for 4 days and get it all in?

Would you think Zion/Bryce would be more efficient in a short time frame?
Old 01-09-2018, 09:45 AM

I understand TLDR, but what does LYTM mean? Just curious....

Yes, I googled it, but could not find applicable context.
Old 01-09-2018, 09:51 AM
ZhugeLiang

I know where we going on spring break this year but you might differ.

Big Bend national park.
Old 01-09-2018, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weisan View Post
I know where we going on spring break this year but you might differ.

Big Bend national park.
I might have to update this; no camping for us yet. Looks incredible however!

Her neck/back is easily tweaked after a bad nights sleep and I do not want to experiment with sleeping on the ground in a remote area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhuerta View Post
I understand TLDR, but what does LYTM mean? Just curious....

Yes, I googled it, but could not find applicable context.
Let You Tell Me.

Bad habits from another forum; I'll have to update the title!

Last edited by Zee; 01-09-2018 at 10:01 AM.
Old 01-09-2018, 10:05 AM

I haven't been to the Grand Canyon yet but I went to Zion last year and loved it. I did a spontaneous day trip out there. If you can't do Angel's Landing you can do Observation Point as an alternative. It's a little more elevation but does not have steep drop offs.
Old 01-09-2018, 11:23 AM

If you like more remote/less traveled destinations, I would save the Grand Canyon for a summer trip and go to the north rim. 10% of the visitors and a completely different experience-in my view much nicer. Much, much nicer. The south rim is crowded and very touristy. Fly to Vegas, drive 3 hours to the north rim. Make reservations for a cabin 6-9 months in advance, eat at the lodge. Great hikes, incredible views, amazing forests and meadows. We went in 2017 the 3rd weekend in July. Temps were in the low 80's during the day and high 50's at night. We were just past peak wildflowers and it was still great.

Sedona as a stand alone from PHX would be a great 4 day weekend. Plenty to do and escape the huddled masses in town.

Likewise Zion and Bryce from LAS. Easy drive. If you go to Zion, check out Grafton, a ghost town south of the park entrance and adjacent to Gooseberry Mesa. Gooseberry is also great, though likely better if you have a mountain bike.

If it were me, I'd stick with one location in any event for a four day weekend. Plenty to do at all of the locations.
Old 01-09-2018, 11:49 AM

When is your spring break? The North Rim is 8300 feet amsl, and still likely to be snowed in until end of March or so, depending on snowpack. That means facilities are closed, open for day use or backcountry primitive camping (permits required). The South Rim stays open all year. Zion/Bryce/Arches will also be open, but I'd expect decent snowpack there as well.

For a 4 day long weekend, pick one of Sedona/Flagstaff/S. Rim (fly in to PHX) or Zion/Bryce/Arches (fly in to LAS). Personally, I like Zion/Bryce/Arches better. Maybe hit the highly underrated Capitol Reef NP as well.
Old 01-09-2018, 11:56 AM

I've lived (and traveled extensively) in the area.

If you don't like crowds, Sedona/South Rim/Zion are all to be avoided. However, crowds can easily be mitigated at all three -- more or less.

For four days on the ground, I'd recommend Sedona for the entire time. Pricey but beautiful hotels, excellent food across the gamut of price ranges. Oak Creek, the town just south, is less expensive. If you start hiking relatively early, the trails will not be crowded, especially on the longer hikes with more elevation gain. Or hike early, come back into town for a nice lunch, and then head back out in the late afternoon. Lots of options for different kinds of hikes, too -- canyon versus ridgeline versus hilltop.

The South Rim has great backpacking, but the day-hiking is less varied than Sedona. And the main trails basically drop down into the canyon, then climb right back up out of it. My favorite thing to do at the South Rim is to bicycle the Hermit's Rest road, which is limited to shuttle buses and bikes.

Zion has exploded in popularity in the last ten years, with almost all of the visitors in a small section (of a small park). I love it, but it's hard to manage these days. And the best hikes there are problematic if you're afraid of heights.
Old 01-09-2018, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zee View Post

vacations are not restful.

Have you gone to Sedona/CG for 4 days and get it all in?
Yes, we did exactly this trip this past summer. We wanted to do a quickie, inexpensive trip rather than a full blown vacation. Left on Monday morning and were home Friday night. Flew into Vegas on SWA direct ( Vegas is 1/3 the price plus car rentals are super cheap, $11/day). Drove from Vegas through Hoover Dam/ lake Meade to Grand Canyon area. Hotels around the park aren't great, so we stayed in an old route 66 town of Williams. Hotels were ok (not great), but good choices for eating. Stayed there mon/tues nights. Late afternoon Wednesday, drove from Grand Canyon to Sedona ( about 90 mins, last half hour beautiful ride). Wednesday/Thurs nights in Sedona. From there, you can fly home from Phoenix, or drive back to Vegas (about 5 hours). We had a good pace on this trip, but never felt rushed.
Old 01-09-2018, 05:57 PM
il Curmudgeoni

Obviously it depends on what you want to do, but for me with no hiking on the agenda one day at the South Rim was enough time.

I'm sure that most won't agree with me, but I found Meteor Crater (37 miles east of Flagstaff) to be more interesting than the Grand Canyon.
Old 01-09-2018, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybee View Post
When is your spring break? The North Rim is 8300 feet amsl, and still likely to be snowed in until end of March or so, depending on snowpack. That means facilities are closed, open for day use or backcountry primitive camping (permits required). The South Rim stays open all year. Zion/Bryce/Arches will also be open, but I'd expect decent snowpack there as well.

For a 4 day long weekend, pick one of Sedona/Flagstaff/S. Rim (fly in to PHX) or Zion/Bryce/Arches (fly in to LAS). Personally, I like Zion/Bryce/Arches better. Maybe hit the highly underrated Capitol Reef NP as well.
Given the amount of snow that has hit the SW that may not be the case this year. The mountains were bare last week and I believe they still are.
Old 01-09-2018, 08:19 PM

Checkout Wildland trekking. Haven’t done any of their Grand Canyon treks, but my son and I did Yellowstone with them and it was superbe.

http://www.wildlandtrekking.com/
Old 01-09-2018, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birddog View Post
Given the amount of snow that has hit the SW that may not be the case this year. The mountains were bare last week and I believe they still are.
Rumor has it maybe snowing now or sometime this week. We may see rain tonight in chandler, a special occasion indeed.

I was in flag and near GC this past weekend and it was 60F during the day and no snow anywhere besides man made at Snowbowl.
Old 01-10-2018, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhespenheide View Post
I've lived (and traveled extensively) in the area.

If you don't like crowds, Sedona/South Rim/Zion are all to be avoided. However, crowds can easily be mitigated at all three -- more or less.

For four days on the ground, I'd recommend Sedona for the entire time. Pricey but beautiful hotels, excellent food across the gamut of price ranges. Oak Creek, the town just south, is less expensive. If you start hiking relatively early, the trails will not be crowded, especially on the longer hikes with more elevation gain. Or hike early, come back into town for a nice lunch, and then head back out in the late afternoon. Lots of options for different kinds of hikes, too -- canyon versus ridgeline versus hilltop.

The South Rim has great backpacking, but the day-hiking is less varied than Sedona. And the main trails basically drop down into the canyon, then climb right back up out of it. My favorite thing to do at the South Rim is to bicycle the Hermit's Rest road, which is limited to shuttle buses and bikes.

Zion has exploded in popularity in the last ten years, with almost all of the visitors in a small section (of a small park). I love it, but it's hard to manage these days. And the best hikes there are problematic if you're afraid of heights.
Super insightful! The Hike House website is something I found to be really useful. Any places to really target/avoid?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fignon's barber View Post
Yes, we did exactly this trip this past summer. We wanted to do a quickie, inexpensive trip rather than a full blown vacation. Left on Monday morning and were home Friday night. Flew into Vegas on SWA direct ( Vegas is 1/3 the price plus car rentals are super cheap, $11/day). Drove from Vegas through Hoover Dam/ lake Meade to Grand Canyon area. Hotels around the park aren't great, so we stayed in an old route 66 town of Williams. Hotels were ok (not great), but good choices for eating. Stayed there mon/tues nights. Late afternoon Wednesday, drove from Grand Canyon to Sedona ( about 90 mins, last half hour beautiful ride). Wednesday/Thurs nights in Sedona. From there, you can fly home from Phoenix, or drive back to Vegas (about 5 hours). We had a good pace on this trip, but never felt rushed.
Still not out of the realm of possibility. What all did you do with your time at each location?

Quote:
Originally Posted by choke View Post
Obviously it depends on what you want to do, but for me with no hiking on the agenda one day at the South Rim was enough time.

I'm sure that most won't agree with me, but I found Meteor Crater (37 miles east of Flagstaff) to be more interesting than the Grand Canyon.
Interesting! Any particular reason for the lack of interest in the GC?

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Likes2ridefar View Post
Rumor has it maybe snowing now or sometime this week. We may see rain tonight in chandler, a special occasion indeed.

I was in flag and near GC this past weekend and it was 60F during the day and no snow anywhere besides man made at Snowbowl.
The North Rim has its appeal, and we are looking at the first week in April.
Old 01-10-2018, 02:15 PM

Quote:
It has been an exceptionally dry and warm winter throughout the SW so far.

At those elevations though, you are at risk of a big storm anytime between October and April. I remember a few years where crappy early ski seasons turned awesome about mid-February, and a backpacking trip in Grand Staircase -Escalante that got cut short in March some year in the mid-00s. Just don't want the OP to lock himself in to the N. Rim (which is truly amazing, BTW) without knowing all the risks.