Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-09-2018, 01:17 PM
extremely tall

Never mind

Last edited by echelon_john; 01-09-2018 at 01:22 PM.
Old 01-09-2018, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradford View Post
It has never occurred to me that I should match bars and stems.
Never? Not once? Not while flipping through a cycling magazine or looking through a line of bikes at a bike store?
Old 01-09-2018, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zlin View Post
Whoa - hang on a sec! I can't believe I'm going to say this to an internet full of strangers but I have a bike with a campy 11 crank, sram 10 sp shifters, and I think there is even a record 10 fd but it all moves me forward when I pedal.

The bars and step don't match, either
Blaspheme!
Old 01-09-2018, 01:37 PM

I'll make a further note that it used to be that each bar/stem manufacturer had its own bar stem interface diameter. Cinelli 26.4....3TTT 26.0....ITM 25.9...Philippe/Atax 25.4, etc..Presumably this was done to discourage the sin of mixing and matching.
Old 01-09-2018, 03:05 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggieburger View Post
Never? Not once? Not while flipping through a cycling magazine or looking through a line of bikes at a bike store?
No, never.

I've thought about the color of my bars and stem, but that is just because I hate black. For a stem, I care about where it puts the bars. For bars, I care about where it puts my hands and how they feel in each position. For both, I care about whether or not they are strong enough to protect my teeth. That's about it.

I've also never thought about my saddle brand matching my seat post brand or my hub brand matching my spoke or rim brand.

Then again, I'm not the most fashion forward person in the world. I have four road bikes right now, and because of some temporary extenuating circumstances, none of them have matching front and rear wheels. Starting next week one will be back to a matched set, but two others won't be musical-chaired back to their matched sets until the summer, and the last set needs a front wheel built by Old Potatoe next winter to be a set again.

I'm make my bike pretty when I can, but performance, reliability, safety, and cost are all ahead of pretty in line.
Old 01-09-2018, 03:08 PM
bourbon!

Quote:
No, never.

I've thought about the color of my bars and stem, but that is just because I hate black. For a stem, I care about where it puts the bars. For bars, I care about where it puts my hands and how they feel in each position. For both, I care about whether or not they are strong enough to protect my teeth. That's about it.

I've also never thought about my saddle brand matching my seat post brand or my hub brand matching my spoke or rim brand.

Then again, I'm not the most fashion forward person in the world. I have four road bikes right now, and because of some temporary extenuating circumstances, none of them have matching front and rear wheels. Starting next week one will be back to a matched set, but two others won't be musical-chaired back to their matched sets until the summer, and the last set needs a front wheel built by Old Potatoe next winter to be a set again.

I'm make my bike pretty when I can, but performance, reliability, safety, and cost are all ahead of pretty in line.
I bet your socks don't match you kit either

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
Old 01-09-2018, 03:17 PM

The whole Feng Shui of a build is messed up if you mismatch. Easily costs you a couple of watts

Within a given manufacturer there are plenty of sizing options for bars/stems/posts that its almost impossible not to be able to match. My US frames I like to source US parts as much as possible and my Italians well, they are dressed in Campy and Deda mostly.
Old 01-09-2018, 03:33 PM

I choose components entirely based on color palette, because at my age I'm dressing the paint job more than the bike.
Old 01-09-2018, 05:25 PM

I think the only times my bar and stem matched was that the SR set that came with my high school Raleigh were 25.4 and a current set of Cinellis are 26.4. Every other bike got the bars I liked with the stems I liked.

I think it is a stretch to think that something as personal as a bar is always going to have a matching stem that does what I needed it to. I think that started for me when I first built a bike for myself 31 years ago - I didn't even buy a stem until I had the bike put together enough to fit it to myself.
Old 01-09-2018, 05:41 PM
il Curmudgeoni

Quote:
I'm the same...I've never built up a bike that way. I do have some vintage bikes where they match but that's because the bar and stem worked for me so I didn't feel a need to change either one.
Old 01-09-2018, 07:07 PM

Quote:

A bike is a performance tool, not a dress to wear to the prom. Set it up the way it performs the best for you and your intended use. If it looks good to you, than that is a nice bonus, but not even the second or third most important thing to worry about.
We might have been twins separated at birth.
Old 01-09-2018, 07:12 PM

This is in the running for the weirdest thread.
Old 01-09-2018, 07:41 PM

I run a custom Llewellyn stem with Ritchey handlebars and it looks fantastic
Old 01-10-2018, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llewellyn View Post
I run a custom Llewellyn stem with Ritchey handlebars and it looks fantastic
This is an example of a well established caveat to the matching stem bar rule. A well made and gorgeous custom stem can be paired with the nice handlebars of the rider's choice. This caveat has historical precedent that predates any rider still riding today having its origins at least back to the days of custom stems produced by legendary builders such as Rene Herse and Alex Singer being paired with bars from traditional component manufacturers.
Old 01-10-2018, 07:11 AM
Administrator

What happens in my crew for questioning my cockpit choices...

William