Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-10-2018, 05:54 AM

many happy miles. Got a bud with a long commute that got over 300000 miles on his Sorrento before it began to cost him more money than it was worth to fix it.
Old 01-10-2018, 08:21 AM
n - 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilltopperny View Post
I'll play devils advocate here. Kia makes a good vehicle for about 100k. Once the warranty expires they tend to go down hill. If you are going new and do not put an excessive amount of miles then you should be fine. My Step father drove them for years. He always seemed to have problems once they reached the 100k mark. He made the switch to a subaru forester about 5 years ago and never looked back. I believe they are just about as spacious, easier to get in and out of, better on gas, have better resale value and within the same price range.
Foresters are based on the Impreza platform. They’re noticeably smaller than the Sorento. The new ones anyway. Not sure about previous models. The new Ascent is interesting though.
Old 01-10-2018, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulspinner View Post
many happy miles. Got a bud with a long commute that got over 300000 miles on his Sorrento before it began to cost him more money than it was worth to fix it.
+1. Kia makes an excellent vehicle at a competitive price. Many happy miles to Kingfisher!
Old 01-10-2018, 09:46 AM

don't own one but rented one for a week during travel. nice vehicle, plenty of pep and good size storage space. in my opinion everything in that small crossover suv sector looks about the same and are quality vehicles. most have around 65-75 cubic feet of cargo volume.

with the kia and hyundai models, you get a lot of bang for your buck if purchasing used because the resale kind of sucks. get one a year or two old that's a cpo vehicle and that's a solid value to drive till it drops. assuming you don't have a family issue like an elderly parent or grandparent who served in korea and he'll be damned if a korean car ever rolls one inch on his property when visiting, go for it! just don't expect to recapture much on resale. if that sort of thing matters to you, get a toyota (rav4 or highlander) or honda (crv), they have highest resale.

we're in the market to replace my wife's aging rav4 and have looked at every single one out there in that segment, both new & used. there's a ridiculous amount of choices out there.

Last edited by 54ny77; 01-10-2018 at 09:50 AM.
Old 01-10-2018, 10:14 AM
n - 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54ny77 View Post
assuming you don't have a family issue like an elderly parent or grandparent who served in korea and he'll be damned if a korean car ever rolls one inch on his property when visiting, go for it!....
Is that really an issue with some people? Trying to understand the reason why. North vs South. Big difference. Not to mention the Chinese involvement in many UN/US lives lost. Do they hold similar feelings on Made in China stuff as well?
Old 01-10-2018, 10:25 AM

eh, can't answer that question, really. i understand their view given the hell they went thru, but....today is a different day and the global economy is vastly interconnected and impossible (in many sectors) to drive purchase decisions based on origin.

had another family member who was in wwii, and nope, for years couldn't roll up in a honda or toyota rental car. eventually the conversation was get the f over it already or we don't visit, not to mention don't be a hypocrite with that [xyz asian-made] t.v. that's always blasting classic movie re-runs!

that, plus trying to explain that some hyundai's are built entirely in u.s. plants and contribute more to u.s. economy than many domestic mfgr's.....and it's like talking to a wall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by p nut View Post
Is that really an issue with some people? Trying to understand the reason why. North vs South. Big difference. Not to mention the Chinese involvement in many UN/US lives lost. Do they hold similar feelings on Made in China stuff as well?

Last edited by 54ny77; 01-10-2018 at 11:15 AM.
Old 01-11-2018, 12:51 PM
DELETE ACCNT

This is the most ignornant thing I've read about the Korean War.

S. Korea is not comparable to say, Germany or China.S. Korea did not attack nor did they threaten democracy.
They fought alongside American and UN soldiers FOR democracy.

Blaming S, Korea and refusing to buy SK products is equivalent to blaming the Jews for WW2.

Does anyone have a problem with buying Japanese products? Pearl Harbor is absolutely a drop in the pool compared to the atrocities the Japanese did to SK.
All that is meaningless now, and especially concerning products we buy.

And floating that kind of comment in here, deleteing it and backpedalling...ridiculous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54ny77 View Post
eh, can't answer that question, really. i understand their view given the hell they went thru, but....today is a different day and the global economy is vastly interconnected and impossible (in many sectors) to drive purchase decisions based on origin.

had another family member who was in wwii, and nope, for years couldn't roll up in a honda or toyota rental car. eventually the conversation was get the f over it already or we don't visit, not to mention don't be a hypocrite with that [xyz asian-made] t.v. that's always blasting classic movie re-runs!

that, plus trying to explain that some hyundai's are built entirely in u.s. plants and contribute more to u.s. economy than many domestic mfgr's.....and it's like talking to a wall.
Quote:
Originally Posted by p nut View Post
Old 01-11-2018, 01:33 PM

i didn't delete or backpedal on anything so i don't know if your comment was directed at me, or what?

i was recounting some blatantly ignorant views on foreign car origin. perhaps re-read what i wrote and what i said to my family members.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasadena View Post
This is the most ignornant thing I've read about the Korean War.

S. Korea is not comparable to say, Germany or China.S. Korea did not attack nor did they threaten democracy.
They fought alongside American and UN soldiers FOR democracy.

Blaming S, Korea and refusing to buy SK products is equivalent to blaming the Jews for WW2.

Does anyone have a problem with buying Japanese products? Pearl Harbor is absolutely a drop in the pool compared to the atrocities the Japanese did to SK.
All that is meaningless now, and especially concerning products we buy.

And floating that kind of comment in here, deleteing it and backpedalling...ridiculous.