Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-09-2018, 12:00 PM
tailgunning

Quote:
Originally Posted by huck*this View Post
When looking around you will notice the AC3 model. All this is an "improvement" in wet weather braking. If you don't ride in the rain go for the non AC3. Also super easy to service. If treating yourself to your 1st set of carbon wheels go with the Ultra's. You won't have that feeling of wow these Ones are amazing I wonder how much better the Ultra's are.

Brake pads, go with the Campy black and red pads.

Between 35 and 50. If you are under 175lbs go with the 35 over 175 go with the 50. Enjoy that blissful coasting!
so how much better ARE the ultras?
Old 01-09-2018, 12:26 PM

My one regret with Campy Bora 35 One......................that I didn't purchase a set sooner.
Old 01-09-2018, 01:52 PM

These will be my primary wheels. I live in Oregon and will use in the rain so I guess I need to have the AC3. Also weight 145lbs so it sounds like the 35 over the 50. Any comments on the 50’s with my weight.
Old 01-09-2018, 02:29 PM

The 50s will offer a little stiffer of a ride compared to the 35.

I have not tried out the AC3 but that is what I have heard about the wet weather braking. I have the 3Diamante track and have no complaints on braking.
Old 01-09-2018, 08:59 PM
Huffing Mastik

Bora Ones. The Ultras are marginally lighter and the carbon hubs are sexy, but not worth the added coin even if you have money to burn. They beat Zipp and Reynolds in terms of build quality in my direct experience. With prices so low from the European retailers, they are also the best priced of the premium carbon offerings. A no brainer. Pick 35 vs. 50 and tubular vs. clincher to meet your needs and you won't regret it. I regretted my Zip 404s and Reynlods Assaults. The Boras are reliable daily drivers and great race wheels. Mine are tubular 50 dark label. Stop fine in the wet (and mine are not the latest with the new brake track) with included pads.
Old 01-09-2018, 11:04 PM
v a n i l l a

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldamelio View Post
Bora Ones. The Ultras are marginally lighter and the carbon hubs are sexy, but not worth the added coin even if you have money to burn. They beat Zipp and Reynolds in terms of build quality in my direct experience. With prices so low from the European retailers, they are also the best priced of the premium carbon offerings. A no brainer. Pick 35 vs. 50 and tubular vs. clincher to meet your needs and you won't regret it. I regretted my Zip 404s and Reynlods Assaults. The Boras are reliable daily drivers and great race wheels. Mine are tubular 50 dark label. Stop fine in the wet (and mine are not the latest with the new brake track) with included pads.
Lou echos the PM I sent you. Which, i guess I should summarize since I opened my mouth

1) clincher vs. tubular
>your choice.

2) one vs ultra
> IMHO the small marginal gain comes at quite an expense. I can treat myself to rolling on ~$1500 wheels but I do not want to tie up $2500 in wheels, especially since I am not going for a sub-15 build. That's a grand I could use elsewhere (or whatever the non-trivial delta is (depending on where you buy))

3) 35 vs. 50.
> IMHO if you go up and down then 35. if you go fast on flat then 50. I have to say the one time I rolled on 50s I thought I was dreaming I was going so much faster...

4) hyperons would be great for a classic look but
> 35 or 50 you get more aero benefit plus the 2015-16-17 Boras have an improved brake track

5) starbike.com

6) no warranty if bought from planetcyclery.com
Old 01-09-2018, 11:15 PM

I like my Bora One 50 significantly more than my Enve. The ride is just nicer, braking is better, they corner fiercely and they light. I’m not wild about the “bright” graphics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-01-2018, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdmtong View Post
Lou echos the PM I sent you. Which, i guess I should summarize since I opened my mouth

1) clincher vs. tubular
>your choice.

2) one vs ultra
> IMHO the small marginal gain comes at quite an expense. I can treat myself to rolling on ~$1500 wheels but I do not want to tie up $2500 in wheels, especially since I am not going for a sub-15 build. That's a grand I could use elsewhere (or whatever the non-trivial delta is (depending on where you buy))

3) 35 vs. 50.
> IMHO if you go up and down then 35. if you go fast on flat then 50. I have to say the one time I rolled on 50s I thought I was dreaming I was going so much faster...

4) hyperons would be great for a classic look but
> 35 or 50 you get more aero benefit plus the 2015-16-17 Boras have an improved brake track

5) starbike.com

6) no warranty if bought from planetcyclery.com
Pretty sure you get a warranty through Campy USA if purchased from planetcyclery...considering a set of Boras right now and their pricing is hard to beat.
Old 02-01-2018, 07:24 PM
v a n i l l a

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW View Post
Pretty sure you get a warranty through Campy USA if purchased from planetcyclery...considering a set of Boras right now and their pricing is hard to beat.
There is NO CHANCE Campagnolo North America will warranty ANYTHING purchased from planetcyclery.com

ZERO.

Call either and ask. I did.

OTOH Campagnolo North America will warranty anything bought online, even if form Europe. I asked them this a few weeks ago.
Old 02-01-2018, 07:28 PM
tailgunning

Quote:
There is NO CHANCE Campagnolo North America will warranty ANYTHING purchased from planetcyclery.com

ZERO.

OTOH Campagnolo North America will warranty anything bought online, even if form Europe. I asked them this a few weeks ago.
i'm so confused by this statement. they seem contradictory.
Old 02-01-2018, 07:37 PM
v a n i l l a

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegunner View Post
i'm so confused by this statement. they seem contradictory.
sorry, try this:

OTOH Campagnolo North America will warranty anything bought online, even if from Europe EXCEPT THINGS FROM PLANETCYCLERY.COM. I asked them this a few weeks ago.
Old 02-01-2018, 08:01 PM

Bora One 35's
Best wheels ive ever used

only difference to the Ultra's is the Ceramic Bearings. But for the difference in price, i am more than happy with the "Ultra Smooth Bearings" (USB)

If got a clincher/tubular combo for sale for cheap if anyone is interested - or will sell each individually
Old 02-01-2018, 08:50 PM
Huffing Mastik

The USB bearings in the Bora Ones are also ceramic, just a different ceramic than the CULT in the Ultras. Can't imagine there's any meaningful performance difference.
Old 02-01-2018, 09:53 PM

Interesting results re: braking

Old 02-01-2018, 11:27 PM

Quote:

ZERO.

I purchased my SR 11 group from them and verified with Campy USA and then before buying and they are a certified dealer that is recognized. No clue where you received your intel but doesn’t seem correct.