Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-04-2018, 09:26 AM
Riding Along

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
i'll be curious to see where this goes.

the question is how many folks are left in the "old guard" so to speak.

back in the good old days, if Serotta was launching a new model, or some anniversary special to drum up funds, there were a few people Ben could pick up the phone and call - like our dear old pal Serotta Pete and say "we need a few bucks to keep the lights on, please buy our newest, personally signed $15k anniversary bike" and those guys would just write a check.

i dont know how many people are still willing to do that for Ben.
No one should be doing this. The bikes need to be good enough to compete in the marketplace or they should not be there. If this is his plan then all he is doing is fleecing folks that have good will for him.

Ben needs to get away from the Rapha/Silca business model. He does not have the brand image to play in those sand boxes. Oldspud said it best, he needs someone who can dispense some good business/marketing advice and let him focus on the building of good bikes.

All this is good winter fun and conjecture. Arm chair quarterback and all that.
Old 01-04-2018, 09:32 AM

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showt...hlight=Serotta
Old 01-04-2018, 09:45 AM
Steel..what else??

3 Serottas were enough for me.
Not feeling it.
Old 01-04-2018, 09:47 AM

Why would you launch a website showing pictures of a Scott and a Bianchi instead of your own bikes that you are trying to market?
Old 01-04-2018, 09:53 AM

I'm curious: has anyone here bought or ordered an Amodomio?

These are the latest aluminum bikes that Ben Serotta helped design:

Old 01-04-2018, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbicycles View Post
Why would you launch a website showing pictures of a Scott and a Bianchi instead of your own bikes that you are trying to market?
That page isn't linked from the main serotta design studio site, and is clearly still under development by a web firm that is unprofessional enough to post unfinished pages on the web and assume users are stupid enough that they'll never find them.
Old 01-04-2018, 10:01 AM

Duetti is pronounced “doody”
Old 01-04-2018, 10:02 AM
tailgunning

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandyrs View Post
That page isn't linked from the main serotta design studio site, and is clearly still under development by a web firm that is unprofessional enough to post unfinished pages on the web and assume users are stupid enough that they'll never find them.
seems like they should have a staging environment and not steal images from other companies. not terribly inspiring
Old 01-04-2018, 10:05 AM

I would have started the Duetti line at $2499 for a complete race bike.

Maybe less.
Old 01-04-2018, 10:06 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegunner View Post
seems like they should have a staging environment and not steal images from other companies. not terribly inspiring
i'd be furious if someone were making a website for me and this was allowed to happen, especially with the clearly incorrect/stolen image of another brand of bike. it wreaks of unprofessional behavior.
Old 01-04-2018, 10:08 AM

Quote:
i'd be furious if someone were making a website for me and this was allowed to happen, especially with the clearly incorrect/stolen image of another brand of bike. it wreaks of unprofessional behavior.
Placeholders happen and life is too short to be furious but yeah, that is kinda lame.
Old 01-04-2018, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Custom "Ben-Brazed" bicycles are available as complete bikes only, by special request starting at $12,000.

hah.

Man, whoever is doing the design for this needs to get dumped asap, doing this in a live environment. They still have dummy copy up in the FAQ with suggestions on what they'll need to add in. Also, bit of a problem when talking about a new venture that the first 3-4 questions in the FAQ are all about issues with the old venture.

Quote:
IS SEROTTA DESIGN STUDIO THE SAME COMPANY AS “SEROTTA” AND/OR “SEROTTA COMPETITION BICYCLES?
No.

Ben Serotta founded, and over 40 years built, Serotta Competition Bicycles, “Serotta” which was sold to a group of investors in 2012.

This may also be the best place to make a blanket statement that clearly, politely, pleasantly thrusts all burden of responsibility to the group that purchased the business including all the records. So we have no materials, no records and no responsibility.

Taking it one step more, we recommend:

For general repair: Bilenky Cycle Works

For refinishing: email Metal Guru

Ben founded Serotta Design Studio in 2016, as he wanted to get back to building and designing bikes for 90% of the riding 90% of road cyclists enjoy. This needs a different phrase. Something to the effect that the design studio is where the ideas are developed, tested and sometimes given life. They won’t exclusively be road bikes and all of the work may not even be sold through our site.
God, what a mess. Seems no marketing lessons were learned the last couple years.

Last edited by FlashUNC; 01-04-2018 at 10:18 AM.
Old 01-04-2018, 10:20 AM

This should have been in a non-public sandbox until it was ready to launch. This is sad and Ben should be furious with the design company.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by charliedid View Post
Placeholders happen and life is too short to be furious but yeah, that is kinda lame.
Old 01-04-2018, 10:22 AM

I haven't the faintest what Ben added to the original bixi design. Either way, too big for my wife and generally too small for me (the original design's saddle never went high enough) and I'm only 5'8 on a good day.

I wish Ben well, but I hope this isn't just another bike label. I know his name is on my favorite bike but honestly, I'd much rather get the next bike from the person whose name is on my build sheet.
Old 01-04-2018, 10:24 AM

Quote:
The Duetti S1 is offered in either electronic or mechanical shifting options.

Which is right for you? Soon, you will be able to program your shifts based on cadence or torque, completing your on-the-road training system and more. So for the fully ‘connected’ among you, electronic is the way to go, and in our view, if you want electronic, it should be wireless- no extra wires and connections, no funky wire routing in the frame but with the advantage of smaller interchangeable batteries. For now, SRAM RED ETAP leads the way
I can't wait for that day.