Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-05-2018, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadence90 View Post
I'm really only a UCLA fan (Josh Rosen not so much to be honest...very good qb, though) and don't really care about other teams except of course always hoping that USC loses every time.

I am hoping that Georgia wins this game mainly because they at least have a player at the qb position who actually plays the qb position...I am so tired of these boring, ho-hum, middle-of-the-road managers like Hurts, Barrett, Bryant, etc. As a true freshman with a great future, Fromm is a better qb than all of those guys, including Mayfield, imo.

Yes, I also hope that Nebraska + Frost will be good.
I wonder if Jimbo will deliver at Texas A&M, or Kelly at UCLA for that matter.
As wide as the folks I’m College Station have opened their checkbooks it will be hard for Jimbo not have success. If he can get and keep the top tier talent from Texas alone he will be something to deal with. 7 years 70 million... maybe I should have stayed in coaching!

Last edited by msl819; 01-06-2018 at 07:52 AM.
Old 01-06-2018, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msl819 View Post
As wide as the folks I’m College Station have opened their checkbooks it will be hard for Jimbo not have success. If he can get and keep the top tier talent from Texas alone he will be something to deal with. 7 years 70 million... maybe I should have stayed in coaching!
Wait, Jimbo is going to be paid $10M/year, like Gruden with the Raiders? Wow....

Kelly will be paid $4.8M/year at UCLA, just out of the current FBS Top 10.
Definitely not peanuts either way. Amazing.
Old 01-06-2018, 12:27 AM
Boeuf Chane

Quote:
Wait, Jimbo is going to be paid $10M/year, like Gruden with the Raiders? Wow....

This tells you everything you need to know about big-time "collegiate" football.

It's about winning and money, nothing else. The players happen to be registered students at an accredited university and the coaches have offices on that same campus, but those are merely incidental details.
Old 01-06-2018, 12:41 AM
new day rising

Go Dawgs!

No trash talking from me (unless it's about Georgia Tech).

Taz - UGA '87

Last edited by taz-t; 01-06-2018 at 12:05 PM.
Old 01-06-2018, 06:50 AM

Sex kills, Go to GA Tech and live forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by taz-t View Post
Go Dawgs!

No trashing talking from me (unless it's about Georgia Tech).

Taz - UGA '87
Old 01-06-2018, 06:53 AM

10 years and $75 million gets paid no matter what

I hope Jumbo falls on his face

Quote:

Old 01-06-2018, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutgallery View Post
10 years and $75 million gets paid no matter what

I hope Jumbo falls on his face
Crazy stuff. As of December 8, 2017:

15. Mark Dantonio, Michigan State, $4.38M/year
14. Chip Kelly, UCLA, $4.66M/year
11 (tie). Mike Gundy, Oklahoma State, $5M/year
11 (tie). Willie Taggart, Florida State, $5M/year
11 (tie). Scott Frost, Nebraska, $5M/year
10. Gary Patterson, TCU, $5.1M/year
9. Tom Herman, Texas, $5.5M/year
8. David Shaw, Stanford, $5.6M/year
7. Dan Mullen, Florida, $6.1M/year
6. Urban Meyer, Ohio State, $6.13M/year
5. Jim Harbaugh, Michigan, $6.8M/year
3 (tie). Gus Malzahn, Auburn, $7M/year
3 (tie). Dabo Swinney, Clemson, $7M/year
2. Jimbo Fisher, Texas A&M, $7.5M/year
1. Nick Saban, Alabama, $11.2M/year

Old 01-06-2018, 07:34 AM

Glad someone brought this up. As a former o-lineman who played for the Dawgs in the mid-90's it has been an amazing ride to watch. Kirby and I were in the same starting class (along with Hines Ward) and he's the coach we need to turn the program into a national powerhouse instead of one with high expectations who always seems to fall short.

There are so many great storylines within the UGA team: Chubb returning from a potentially career ending knee injury for his senior year when he could've tried his hand at the NFL, Fromm - the true freshman QB who is playing like a seasoned veteran and leading his team, Kirby - returning to his alma mater to turn a program around and getting a chance to take down his mentor on the biggest stage.....

It just doesn't get any better than that!! Monday's game will be smash-mouth football and I think higher scoring than most expect. Dawgs win but it will be a close game!

Here's a pic from '95-ish....obviously in my pre-cycling days and 120lbs heavier than my best racing weight!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MEDIA DAY 1995 001.jpg (74.8 KB, 62 views)

Last edited by KJMUNC; 01-06-2018 at 07:40 AM.
Old 01-06-2018, 07:42 AM

Crazy indeed, definitely a bit of a plantation mentality.
Coaches and administrators making bank and the players are Year to Year and at risk of injury etc. Monday will be a perfect example of that, neither team will have many players that are there for an education or the college experience. In fact, a large portion would have never been accepted but for football. This is a problem in the not so long term

Quote:
Crazy stuff. As of December 8, 2017:

15. Mark Dantonio, Michigan State, $4.38M/year
14. Chip Kelly, UCLA, $4.66M/year
11 (tie). Mike Gundy, Oklahoma State, $5M/year
11 (tie). Willie Taggart, Florida State, $5M/year
11 (tie). Scott Frost, Nebraska, $5M/year
10. Gary Patterson, TCU, $5.1M/year
9. Tom Herman, Texas, $5.5M/year
8. David Shaw, Stanford, $5.6M/year
7. Dan Mullen, Florida, $6.1M/year
6. Urban Meyer, Ohio State, $6.13M/year
5. Jim Harbaugh, Michigan, $6.8M/year
3 (tie). Gus Malzahn, Auburn, $7M/year
3 (tie). Dabo Swinney, Clemson, $7M/year
2. Jimbo Fisher, Texas A&M, $7.5M/year
1. Nick Saban, Alabama, $11.2M/year

Old 01-06-2018, 08:41 AM

Awesome! I was at UGA at the beginnings ng of the Richt era. I tutored a couple of the players in Biological sciences. When there I lived in a guest house of an older couple where the husband had a stroke resulting in half his body beimg paralyzed. He would watch the Georgia games and push his chair using his functional leg on the wood flood in a circle so that he couldnt see the TV while cheering. I would always have to move him back in front of the TV .

Good looking picture!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJMUNC View Post
Glad someone brought this up. As a former o-lineman who played for the Dawgs in the mid-90's it has been an amazing ride to watch. Kirby and I were in the same starting class (along with Hines Ward) and he's the coach we need to turn the program into a national powerhouse instead of one with high expectations who always seems to fall short.

There are so many great storylines within the UGA team: Chubb returning from a potentially career ending knee injury for his senior year when he could've tried his hand at the NFL, Fromm - the true freshman QB who is playing like a seasoned veteran and leading his team, Kirby - returning to his alma mater to turn a program around and getting a chance to take down his mentor on the biggest stage.....

It just doesn't get any better than that!! Monday's game will be smash-mouth football and I think higher scoring than most expect. Dawgs win but it will be a close game!

Here's a pic from '95-ish....obviously in my pre-cycling days and 120lbs heavier than my best racing weight!

Last edited by joosttx; 01-06-2018 at 08:43 AM.
Old 01-06-2018, 10:38 AM

Quote:

Awesome indeed. I was playing in college through the mid 90s as well (94-98). Good on you for dropping 120 lbs. We had a reunion this past fall to celebrate a 1997 Championship team. It was crazy to see guy who were 300 plus in college who were now low 200s and guys who were low 200s in college who are now pushing 300. It is amazing what happens when some stop eating and when some stop running. I am sure watching Kirby makes this run extra special as both an alum and former athlete at UGA. Between Maria Taylor and David Polluck you guys are well represented on ESPN as well. Here to hoping they win for KJMUNC!

I miss the days of the neck roll, huge shoulder pads and when players actually wore pads in their pants!
Old 01-06-2018, 11:47 AM

This seemed to be a weak year for college football. It seemed ridiculous to me to talk about an 8 team playoff this year when I did not feel like there were 4 teams worthy of the playoffs.

I didn't have much interest in last week's games and don't have much interest in Monday's game.

The NFL also seems weak this year. Not a lot of really good teams.

Jeff
Old 01-06-2018, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlwdm View Post
This seemed to be a weak year for college football. It seemed ridiculous to me to talk about an 8 team playoff this year when I did not feel like there were 4 teams worthy of the playoffs.

I didn't have much interest in last week's games and don't have much interest in Monday's game.

The NFL also seems weak this year. Not a lot of really good teams.

Jeff
While I agree that CFB seemed and felt down, that is all the more reason to argue for an 8 team playoff for me. I felt like this year unlike past years it really could be anybody’s year. Throw in one more round and four more team and in some years a “Cinderella” may actually have a chance - maybe not to win but maybe they topple Goliath and make it fun to see. That is the magic of the NCAA basketball tournament to me. It comes down to match ups. I personally think OU was best equipped to best Bama. But we didn’t see that matchup. Given four more team maybe we see some intrigue we haven’t seen before. Last years Chanpionship game was good but for the years prior most of these playoff game were not great games to watch.
Old 01-06-2018, 12:23 PM

Quote:

We need to see a current pic to see the transformation!
Old 01-06-2018, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msl819 View Post
We need to see a current pic to see the transformation!
Ha! I'm nowhere near racing weight now....once upon a time (12-13yrs ago) I raced at 165-170lbs. I'm a good 40lbs from that now.