Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-05-2018, 09:27 PM

.... ..

Last edited by cadence90; 07-31-2018 at 02:23 AM.
Old 01-05-2018, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by josephr View Post
Fair enough....I hope they move to an 8 game system soon, but working the details and fitting that around school finals makes some challenges. But, like Nick Saban discusses, the more we focus on playoffs, the less each seasons' games means. I'm actually surprised after last year's fiasco when Penn State won the conference championship and had on-field win over Ohio State, yet Ohio State was picked to go into the Final 4???? That was a load of BS and Urban Meyer proved what a waste of time his team was that year.

Bama's defense looked strong, fresh against Clemson and Georgia looked like a complete team against OK Sooners. Its definitely going to be an interesting game and really, the Chubb/Michel duo reminds me of Auburn's Brown/Williams pair of 2005. GA has the advantage at QB too, as Hurts has a strong arm, but sometimes the offense just seems to sit down when they're comfortable and rely on defense to run the clock out. They'll have to stop the run game and make Fromm throw it and hope the secondary can do just enough to keep it from getting out of control. Bama needs to run effectively and control the clock. If it gets into a shoot-out, GA will win out.

For the record, I'm a Auburn fan first, and had some good games this year, just a little inconsistent...and they were dead tired at the SEC Championship game....plus, Kirby had his team ready....can't take that away from them at all.

Still, I really enjoy saying "Roll Tide"....there's immense entertainment value behind those words---as you can tell by others' reactions here!
If you are an Auburn fan first, the words Roll Tide should never exit your mouth! I agree with the idea that an 8 team playoff could lessen the importance of regular season games but again all that really means is less money to be made. Attendance numbers are already down around the country. With huge stadium additions in the last decade and TV being a preferred option for many I can only imagine some of the conversations being had in the powers that be offices. Add to that the growing reality that people are cutting the cable cord and already forcing giants like ESPN to gut their staff, folks are getting nervous. I would even argue that an all SEC is bad for ratings as large parts of the nation will be less interested since they don’t even have a regional team in the game.

Last edited by msl819; 01-05-2018 at 09:36 PM.
Old 01-05-2018, 09:30 PM

Them Dawgs are hell aint they? Hell yea!

“Take a leg off ‘em boys!”
Old 01-05-2018, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadence90 View Post
Definitely. And UCF's claim is far more legit than some others. This is some pretty funny stuff:

Exactly and Georgia And Bama fans will scream about this but UCF best Auburn who beat Bama and Georgia in the regular season. The college football equivalent of sticking it to the man!!!
Old 01-05-2018, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msl819 View Post
Exactly and Georgia And Bama fans will scream about this but UCF best Auburn who beat Bama and Georgia in the regular season. The college football equivalent of sticking it to the man!!!
Rumor has it, half the Auburn players were hungover for that game.
Old 01-05-2018, 09:47 PM

SEC fatigue. Makes for not-so-compelling viewing.
Old 01-05-2018, 09:51 PM
aka RAEKWON

ATL all the way. Go dawgs!
Old 01-05-2018, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by berserk87 View Post
SEC fatigue. Makes for not-so-compelling viewing.
My point exactly! At least they didn’t meet in the regular season like Bama and LSU did in 2011.
Old 01-05-2018, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosttx View Post
Rumor has it, half the Auburn players were hungover for that game.
Facts are, UCF beat the brakes off the other 102.

Old 01-05-2018, 10:24 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by josephr View Post
Fair enough....I hope they move to an 8 game system soon, but working the details and fitting that around school finals makes some challenges. But, like Nick Saban discusses, the more we focus on playoffs, the less each seasons' games means. I'm actually surprised after last year's fiasco when Penn State won the conference championship and had on-field win over Ohio State, yet Ohio State was picked to go into the Final 4???? That was a load of BS and Urban Meyer proved what a waste of time his team was that year.

Bama's defense looked strong, fresh against Clemson and Georgia looked like a complete team against OK Sooners. Its definitely going to be an interesting game and really, the Chubb/Michel duo reminds me of Auburn's Brown/Williams pair of 2005. GA has the advantage at QB too, as Hurts has a strong arm, but sometimes the offense just seems to sit down when they're comfortable and rely on defense to run the clock out. They'll have to stop the run game and make Fromm throw it and hope the secondary can do just enough to keep it from getting out of control. Bama needs to run effectively and control the clock. If it gets into a shoot-out, GA will win out.

For the record, I'm a Auburn fan first, and had some good games this year, just a little inconsistent...and they were dead tired at the SEC Championship game....plus, Kirby had his team ready....can't take that away from them at all.

Still, I really enjoy saying "Roll Tide"....there's immense entertainment value behind those words---as you can tell by others' reactions here!
Agreed OSU should not have gotten in. It should be the Conference Champs. And an 8 team playoff. They pushed OSU in cause the first year ratings with them and Oregon had the best ratings. Every year after has gone down. The Big 10 and OSU especially have a massive following. And the fans travel. They spend a ton of cash. Which is why OSU and many of the Big 10 teams are at the top for most valuable college teams.

This year, OSU should've been in given they won. Last year, no. Also Barrett is a flake and Meyer should've found someone and groomed him last year. Barrett is too inconsistent. Just look at the OK game.
Old 01-05-2018, 10:51 PM

Georgia grad here, loved the experience...hated the redneck football fans. Pretty much hate SEC football, but I hope UGA beats Alabama - which is a total cow college. In Tuscaloosa, coloring books aren't just for the football players.

For the record, Go Big Red. Where I grew up it's a pick up line, term of endearment and a greeting. Glad Scott Frost is home, from a few towns away, probably the same dirt road
Old 01-05-2018, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutgallery View Post
Georgia grad here, loved the experience...hated the redneck football fans. Pretty much hate SEC football, but I hope UGA beats Alabama - which is a total cow college. In Tuscaloosa, coloring books aren't just for the football players.

For the record, Go Big Red. Where I grew up it's a pick up line, term of endearment and a greeting. Glad Scott Frost is home, from a few towns away, probably the same dirt road
Agreed... Frost seems like one of the good ones. I am rooting for him to bring Nebraska back to the national scene. What he did at UCF was nothing short of remarkable. I hope Nebraska is willing/able to keep up with the spending needed to compete at the highest level. College football doesn’t need the wishbone but it is better when schools like Nebraska are relevant.
Old 01-05-2018, 11:19 PM

I'm really only a UCLA fan (Josh Rosen not so much to be honest...very good qb, though) and don't really care about other teams except of course always hoping that USC loses every time.

I am hoping that Georgia wins this game mainly because they at least have a player at the qb position who actually plays the qb position...I am so tired of these boring, ho-hum, middle-of-the-road managers like Hurts, Barrett, Bryant, etc. As a true freshman with a great future, Fromm is a better qb than all of those guys, including Mayfield, imo.

Yes, I also hope that Nebraska + Frost will be good.
I wonder if Jimbo will deliver at Texas A&M, or Kelly at UCLA for that matter.
Old 01-05-2018, 11:23 PM

I hate the Tide. So go Georgia.
Old 01-05-2018, 11:27 PM
what's a little rust?

Torn. I want to ignore the game and see the crappy committee/espn lobbyists get lousy ratings. But Georgia is fun to watch.