Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-06-2018, 07:10 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDino View Post
+1 on the chainring issue...but here's my 2 cents

Replace both chainrings and replace the chain...wear parts should wear together. Also, look at the cassette and see if that needs replacing too, which it probably does based on the wear on the rings.

The FD setup looks okay. The space between the bottom of the FD cage and the top of the big ring teeth should fit the width of a penny and maybe a tiny bit more. Also, just double check that the cage is parallel with the chainrings.
Chainrings are fine, wear parts wear together? Everytime you replace a $40 chain, replace $200+ of CRs?..yeegads..

The front der needs to be adjusted both in angle and height.

1-2mm above big ring, aligned so chain is parallel with outer cage when in highest gear(small cog/big ring).

Shift to lowest gear(small ring, biggest cog)..inner limit screw so inner cage lightly, lightly touching chain..pull cable tight, tighten bolt, turn inner limit screw out a wee bit(makes cable tight plus about .5mm chain to inner cage).

Shift to smallest cog and gently shift front der, click, click, click..chain should shift to big ring(check alignment again), then outer limit so limit screw just lightly touching stop..

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 01-06-2018 at 09:03 AM.
Old 01-06-2018, 09:01 AM

You need to make sure you adjust the cable tension with you adjust the FD height. If you did that, then you need to adjust the travel stops. The inner screw (closest to frame) adjusts the travel low limit, (small ring). Shift to the largest cog on the cassette and the small ring, then adjust the low limit so you have about 1mm clearance. The outer screw adjusts the high limit, and do the same, but with smallest cog and 1mm clearance. Should shift absolutely perfect after you've done that.
Old 01-06-2018, 12:09 PM

Thanks everyone. I’ll try setting it up again and report back. Should I dive into Booglebugs idea? I am reluctant due to not wanting to end up damaging my bar tape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by booglebug View Post
Had this same issue that drove me nuts. Replaced chain,cable and housing and still had the same problem with jamming and over shifting, the over shift was due me thinking that the limit screw was not letting the derailleur move far enough and adjusting the screw to far. Finally came to the conclusion it had to be in the shifter so removed only to find the back screw was loose ( the screw in the back once the clamp is removed) tightened and problems solved.
Old 01-06-2018, 02:09 PM

Flxey cage and sloppy pivots.

The smaller the inner chainring is, the more pronounced derailleur issues tend to be.

That is, if height, toe and limits are set ok.
Old 01-06-2018, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kookmyers View Post
Thanks everyone. I’ll try setting it up again and report back. Should I dive into Booglebugs idea? I am reluctant due to not wanting to end up damaging my bar tape.
My bike went from great shifting to the jamming, over shifting ,over a short period of time so may not be your problem but is something to check if you reset up the derailleur and still have problems. Would rule out a loose screw before I bought those expensive chainrings.
Old 01-06-2018, 02:58 PM

When I had this problem a couple of years ago, no amount of futzing on my part resolved the issue (didn't know futz was in the dictionary ).
Starting over with a slack cable solved it for me.
(In case you need it, I attached the applicable pages from my Campy 11s FD manual)

This little $20 tool (cheap by Campy Standards ) helped me adjust the FD alignment.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Campagnolo-...wAAOSwopRYaHa3
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 11s_Front_derailleur copy (dragged).pdf (947.6 KB, 35 views)

Last edited by Tony T; 01-06-2018 at 03:07 PM.
Old 01-06-2018, 03:24 PM

Agree with Tony.....I've used the aforementioned Campy tool. It's invaluable and makes setup alignment simple.
Old 01-11-2018, 02:50 PM

Finally got a chance to ride today and after following the advice in the thread (minus replacing the chain rings) i think my FD shifts a bit better. While i did not "lock up" the chain, it wasnt something that happened too often so it might be too soon to tell if i actually fixed it.
Too bad the aesthetics of the piece are already ruined.

Thanks everyone!
Old 01-11-2018, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kookmyers View Post
Finally got a chance to ride today and after following the advice in the thread (minus replacing the chain rings) i think my FD shifts a bit better.
please share.....what specifically did you adjust?
Old 01-11-2018, 05:31 PM

I completely removed the FD and started from scratch. I hope I wasn't just lucky for the 15 miles on my way to work.
Old 01-30-2018, 10:02 AM

new information

I have ridden quite a bit since I adjusted my FD. I am happy to report that it shifts so much smoother with less force required.

Unfortunately, I found out how the damage happened...

On a shift from big to small, the chain is sticking to the big ring and coming at the FD from below/behind.

It has happened twice since the new adjustment. I was able to look down and see that was what the chain was doing.