Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-31-2017, 04:28 PM

I have an old silca floor pump from the 80s with the columbus tubing decal.

One thing I found disappointing were the new synthetic 242 gaskets. I've tried both EVT:

and the new Silca one:

At $7 for the EVT and $9 for the silca, I don't find them any better than the $2 black rubber gasket that the old Silca use to sell:

I was expecting these new materials to last a lot longer. Of course, YMMV! Good Luck!
Old 01-05-2018, 10:51 AM
Vendor

Something for fun.

https://www.pbswisstools.com/en/news...hraubenzieher/
Old 01-05-2018, 12:15 PM

Thanks for posting that, but I feel bad for that guy that has to stuff the wrenches into the plastic holders all day long
Old 01-05-2018, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripvanrando View Post
I feel poor and inferior.

My pump sucks. My tools are cheap.

I can justify those wrenches, they're almost the cost of half a decent bottle of wine.

I’m sensing redemptive sarcasm at the end there...
Old 01-05-2018, 12:53 PM

have a decent bit of Silca: torque kit, frame pump, pista, seat roll, and the t-handle wrenches. love 'em all but I'll say they're not without issues. the biggest issue is indeed the rubber gasket for the pista. that sucker just wears out too fast. I do love it though. oh and the hose did separate from the base on mine too; they said it was an issue with the earlier production runs and sent me a whole new assembly. similarly, I lost the chuck on the frame pump while riding. they swapped it to a new one and said early production runs had a design flaw that they'd fixed. it's been fine, as has the pista. but we'll see...

t-handle wrenches didn't say made in Taiwan anywhere on them, that I can remember, but I'll check again. they're friggin' awesome though.
Old 01-05-2018, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arik View Post
Thanks for posting that, but I feel bad for that guy that has to stuff the wrenches into the plastic holders all day long
I couldn't tell if the look on his face indicated, "Thank heavens I'm not one of those damned robots!" or, "Heavens to SwissMiss, I wish that I was one of those damned robots!".
Old 01-05-2018, 02:07 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiasticon View Post
have a decent bit of Silca: torque kit, frame pump, pista, seat roll, and the t-handle wrenches. love 'em all but I'll say they're not without issues. the biggest issue is indeed the rubber gasket for the pista. that sucker just wears out too fast. I do love it though. oh and the hose did separate from the base on mine too; they said it was an issue with the earlier production runs and sent me a whole new assembly. similarly, I lost the chuck on the frame pump while riding. they swapped it to a new one and said early production runs had a design flaw that they'd fixed. it's been fine, as has the pista. but we'll see...

t-handle wrenches didn't say made in Taiwan anywhere on them, that I can remember, but I'll check again. they're friggin' awesome though.
My Ti-Torque and HX-One doesn't say it on the product, just the packaging.
Old 01-13-2018, 08:16 AM

Just got the pump back from Silca. It now works 100% perfect! Looks like they replaced the entire lower portion/gauge, along with a new hose and pump head...oh, and even a new handle! You sure can't say SILCA doesn't stand behind this product! No charge for anything, including shipping. So...all's well that ends well. -Jeff N.
Old 01-13-2018, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff N. View Post
Just got the pump back from Silca. It now works 100% perfect! Looks like they replaced the entire lower portion/gauge, along with a new hose and pump head...oh, and even a new handle! You sure can't say SILCA doesn't stand behind this product! No charge for anything, including shipping. So...all's well that ends well. -Jeff N.
Old 01-13-2018, 03:55 PM

Last edited by cadence90; 01-13-2018 at 04:32 PM.
Old 01-13-2018, 04:03 PM
Lanterne rouge

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadence90 View Post

A lot of pretty negative stuff regarding Silca was thrown around here, starting with the op.
Yeah, they are all opinions though. Worth about what you paid for them. It ended well. I dont see any big deal.
Old 01-13-2018, 04:21 PM
aka RAEKWON

I mean in this thread there are negative comments and positive comments.

I knew they were going to do exactly what they did and kinda silly that the OP came in trashing the company before contacting them about it. I mean, I get it you are frustrated but products are sometimes lemons and just because its expensive doesn't mean every single production model will function the same.

Anyways, glad the issue is solved. Good on them but also not surprised.