Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-27-2017, 06:19 PM

165mm Crank Arms, who rides them?

A recent visit to a cycling PT advised that since I have had a total hip replacement I should switch my 172.5mm crank arms to 165mm.

Wondering if anyone has had experience switching from 172.5mm (or any size) to 165mm arms and how much different it felt and if you like it.

I also have recently been diagnosed with Chondromalacia in my left knee, PT is helping, wondering if the shorter crank arms will also help this issue. I do have some arthritis in the knee, so not sure what the ceiling will be for my rehab, but going in the right direction.

Finally, I have a Cannondale SS with their SiSL2 crankset with 172.5mm arms. IF I can find 165mm arms I can change them and not have to purchase a whole new crankset, not an easy find, and what I have seen is crazy expensive, like $550 just for the arms. Any other crankset option suggestions if I do decide make the jump?

Thanks for your input.
quattro
Old 12-27-2017, 06:29 PM
DELETE ACCNT

I have 165's and 170's
I used 172.5's in the past quite a bit but I think that was a mistake for me.

165s feel great. It's great for position and spinning.
It may or may not be dramatic, but your injuries tell me it may help you.

I'm not familar with Cannondale cranks but for the price, maybe a Shimano or Sram Ultegra/Force crankset would be a value option.
105 even.

good luck on the recovery!
Old 12-27-2017, 07:04 PM

switched from 172.5 to 165 (174 cm with 78 cm inseam) six years ago and haven't looked back. Just make sure to get a lower gear on the back as you'll need to spin more to generate the same power.

Otherwise I like it a lot. More aero, for one thing
Old 12-27-2017, 08:15 PM
なんでやねん

Not exactly the same thing but I always ran 165mm on my fixed gear and liked it quite a bit. I didn't find at all that I was short on power or torque due to the crank length. And spinning was easier, and easier on my knees (my right knee is always on the verge of being unhappy for whatever reason). Now on road and gravel bikes I run 170 mostly because 165mm road cranks aren't the easiest to find and 170s work fine for me. I'm 6' and most fitters would have me on a 175 I guess.
Old 12-27-2017, 08:51 PM

165s everywhere for me (5'11", 78cm saddle height). I was struggling bouncing between 165s on the track and 170/172.5s on the road/gravel. Track racing was more important so I converged there. I like them, better spin, more cornering clearance, fewer rock strikes, etc. I've also lowered my gearing to keep cadence a bit higher.
Old 12-28-2017, 12:04 AM

I switched from 175 to 165 on my road and gravel bikes last year after it was suggested during a Guru bike fit. It has helped alleviate soreness I was feeling in my hip and has not resulted in any loss of power output.

Cannondale SISL cranks are expensive. One of my bikes is a Cannondale Slate 1x with the Hollowgram SL crank arm. I wanted to install a power meter and decided to go with the Stages Cannondale version in 165. My lbs had a matching SL crankset and sold me the right arm for $200.

SRAM cranks can be found pretty easily in 165.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My blog and Instagram
Old 12-28-2017, 08:13 AM

This past summer I switched from 172.5 to 165 on a couple of my bikes (road and TT). Mainly to try and alleviate some knee issues that I developed at the beginning of the year and it's hard to say it helps as I'm still dealing with some pain/discomfort. Went to a PT and it is definitely better but not 100% pain free.

The first few rides felt like I could spin a little higher cadence for hard efforts. Not planning on going back and prefer to keep this setup as it is now. Currently have a SRAM Force 22 crank arms and a Rotor 3D+ crank arms that are 165 (Rotor 3D+ goes all the way down to 150 I believe). Finding a used set of 165's in either of these two is going to be tough. Plenty of other cheap FSA or SRAM Rival ones out there to tide you over until you can get something else a little more bling though.
Old 12-28-2017, 08:19 AM

To the OP, FYI there are several postings on this topic in the Bike Fit section.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My blog and Instagram
Old 12-28-2017, 08:50 AM

I'm 5'9" and have 165s on my bikes. I've also had a hip replacement, but I started the move to 165s because I was building up a fixie/SS. I like it for the spinning, haven't noticed any loss of power, but I'm slow to begin with.
Old 12-28-2017, 12:35 PM

I don't see why you lose anything going to shorter cranks (or gain anything going to longer cranks). Assuming the cranks fit you.

From 172.5 to 165 is a little over 4% shorter. Lets assume everything is proportional....and you lose 4% or so leverage with 165's. Cogs teeth are say 4% to 8% difference on cassette, so if you wind up spinning a gear one tooth bigger usually....don't see how you lose anything.

Most of the tests I have seen suggest crank length (within reason) has little effect on bike speed and power....assuming not a total mismatch of rider to cranks.

I know the math guys will say leverage, tq, power, etc.....are not exactly proportional to crank arm length.....and cog difference (percentage wise) is less with larger cogs than with smaller cogs.....but you get my general point.
Old 12-28-2017, 12:57 PM

Shorter cranks make for a much less critical saddle height adjustment and allow me to get into hard training earlier without knee discomfort.
I've been back and forth with crank lengths ranging from 165 to 175 and can definitely tell the difference, but as far as speed I cannot tell the difference except for when knee discomfort becomes an issue, typically after a rest stop while riding with longer cranks.

165mm crankarms were more common when bikes had toe clips that tended to contact the pavement when the rider was unable to quickly clip in.
Old 12-28-2017, 02:18 PM

Shimano also makes 165mm for at least Dura Ace and Ultegra.
Old 12-28-2017, 05:27 PM

Am I the only one that rides 165 mm cranks because I am short?
Old 12-28-2017, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by echappist View Post
Shimano also makes 165mm for at least Dura Ace and Ultegra.
My Cannondale is full dura ace 9000 except for the Cannondale cranset, which I really would like to keep. So, hopefully I'll find some 165mm arms and will be able to interchange with the 172.5 arms I now have. Still, they seem to be hard to find and expensive.
Old 12-28-2017, 07:24 PM

I am not Cannondale versed nowadays but I think the SISL2 arms are the same as SI arms. If they are you can pick up a set of arms for under $200 and just swap out the 172.5 arms.