Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-20-2017, 06:52 PM
Old, Fat & Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Chaba View Post
California Bicycle in LaJolla......
If you're into retro, keep your hands in your pockets!

AMHIK

M
Old 03-20-2017, 06:59 PM
Princess Sweat

Not in SD but Diablo Wheelworks in the LA area kills it. Ryan has done a lot of work on Campy stuff and I've always walked away happy.
Old 03-20-2017, 07:11 PM
This space left blank

Quote:
Originally Posted by kookmyers View Post
I really dont know. This is my first Campy machine and coming from Di2 it feels strange that it takes such an effort to shift such a high end group.

I have had the front shifter lock up until i played with it enough, i've dropped the chain on a big ring to small ring shift and i have noises that i dont think i should.

One shop told me my shifter needs to be rebuilt but dont know how accurate that is being that it is 11 speed. I have read that they aren't serviceable....or at least not as serviceable as the 10 speed ones.

My apologies for any inaccurate things i am stating....and thank you for the help.
If the group is new at all, it's extremely unlikely the shifter needs replacing/rebuilding. More likely is cable friction due to routing or if you possibly a fraying cable inside the hood (more common on RD's due to the number of shifts).

The FD sounds like it just needs to have the stop screws checked and the height of the cage to large ring clearance verified. If this is a compact (34/50), it's my experience that they are fussier about dropping the chain when cross chained to start with. I'm a believer in a chain watcher.
Old 03-20-2017, 07:12 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Any recommendations for a good shop with a great mechanic for Campagnolo stuff?
Umm...yeah, the Campagnolo NA office!
Old 03-20-2017, 07:16 PM

Go to MOMENT Bicycles located in Point Loma (Liberty Station, right next to STONE Brewery). They speak Hi-End, including Campy. After you're done, go next door and get yourself some quail legs and chase them with a pint of Ruin Ten IPA.

Last edited by Jeff N.; 03-20-2017 at 07:22 PM.
Old 03-20-2017, 07:42 PM
This space left blank

Moment also just opened a new store in Carmel Valley Rd and Del Mar Heights near Hwy 56.
Old 03-20-2017, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Chaba View Post
California Bicycle in LaJolla......
Yes. Check in with Kevin the owner. He is a superb Campy tech and a lot of fun.
Old 03-20-2017, 08:52 PM

Thanks everyone! I'll report back when the "problem" is solved.
Old 03-20-2017, 08:53 PM
Barely Hanging On

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpediemracing View Post
My best friend (and industry insider and former manager of my shop) patronizes Velo Hanger, among other places. Not sure where they are relatively speaking.
Velo Hangar is in Carlsbad, so may be a bit far north for the original poster. Gordon at Velo Hangar is on the higher end price-wise, but a lot of people swear by him.

Another recommendation, which is from personal experience, though also North County, is Rocky's custom bikes.

The best idea I've seen hear is calling Campagnolo NA for a recommendation based on the service needed.
Old 03-20-2017, 11:33 PM

Spot is a great guy and a very dear friend of mine. I worked with him at Adam’s Avenue for a few years. We had another mechanic, Dan Large who i’m sure many of you have met through trade shows etc. He was literally THE guy in San Diego for Campy stuff and is now the Technical Service Manager for Campagnolo North America.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodworker View Post
I've taken my bikes to Adams Avenue bikes for a number of years. They have a mechanic there who does a lot of work on Campy bikes and ordered and installed parts on both mechanical and EPS systems. I think his nickname is Spot (nice nickname, and I wonder how he got it). In any event, I take my bike down there from North County because they do good work. The bike was always dialed in when I got it back. Nice shop too.

There used to be a guy at Hi-Tech bikes who was good, but they've turned over management and I'm not as familiar with their folks anymore.
Old 03-21-2017, 04:46 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
I really dont know. This is my first Campy machine and coming from Di2 it feels strange that it takes such an effort to shift such a high end group.

I have had the front shifter lock up until i played with it enough, i've dropped the chain on a big ring to small ring shift and i have noises that i dont think i should.

One shop told me my shifter needs to be rebuilt but dont know how accurate that is being that it is 11 speed. I have read that they aren't serviceable....or at least not as serviceable as the 10 speed ones.

My apologies for any inaccurate things i am stating....and thank you for the help.
First, probably doesn't need a 'rebuild', for 11s. When a shop says this, they are clueless about Campagnolo 11s. Second, they are fixable, as serviceable as the 10s ones are. BUT very little to break or wear out like 10s.

Little things make these groups sing. Like lube in housing, housing cut cleanly and long enough. Front der isn't as complicated as 5800/6800/9000 but needs to be done right-3 clicks to big ring.

'Lock up? Make sure hood isn't fouling the thumb button in any way. If it isn't all the way 'up', the lever won't shift.
Old 03-21-2017, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
i was just thinking the same thing.

i think it was you who tipped me off to them when i went years ago and rented a sweet, sweet C50 for the week. that place was cool

Long, long gone but the mechanic, my good friend Thomas Spot Rhodes is working at Adams Avenue Bikes, my lbs now. He's still a good Campy guy. Go see him.

Gordon just had a soft opening for the new Velo Hangar in Carlsbad. He's building up my gravel bike right now. If you're up in North County, he is top notch. He'll also do pick up and delivery if you're nice.

Last edited by ptourkin; 03-21-2017 at 10:16 AM.
Old 03-21-2017, 12:33 PM

As others have suggested, Gordon at Velo Hangar in Carlsbad, or Chuck at Pacific Coast Cycles in Oceanside, opposite Urge Gastropub. He has the tools for the job.

Old 04-10-2017, 01:44 PM

I went down to Adams Ave Cycles and met with Spot.
He and the shop were awesome!

Thanks for the recommendation.
Old 04-10-2017, 11:10 PM

Glad it worked out for you. Good guys and good shop.