Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-21-2015, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtube View Post
The highest ranking person to have signed of on this needs to be placed in a cozy jail cell for at least 10 years. I think that would permanently stop these type of shenanigans.
Not a cozy cell.
High security prison, general population with a cellmate who hasn't seen a woman in a few decades.
You think we would be seeing ongoing massive banking fraud like LIBOR fixing cases now if some of the criminal banksters from 2007-2008 era had done hard time in the general prison population?
I don't think so.
Old 09-21-2015, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNY rider View Post
Not a cozy cell.
High security prison, general population with a cellmate who hasn't seen a woman in a few decades.
You think we would be seeing ongoing massive banking fraud like LIBOR fixing cases now if some of the criminal banksters from 2007-2008 era had done hard time in the general prison population?
I don't think so.
Good answer. Good answer. I like the way you think. I'm gonna be watching you. :-)
Old 09-21-2015, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Not a cozy cell.
I don't think so.
They don't put high profile inmates with the general population, they go into PC, (Protective Custody) or what they now call Sensitive Needs yard.
Old 09-21-2015, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Not a cozy cell.
I don't think so.
Not that I have any first hand knowledge, but high security prison typically means solitary confinement for 23 hours a day and is reserved for the likes of Ramzi Yousef, Zacarias Moussaoui, Ted Kaczynski, Richard Reid, and Jeff Fort
Old 09-21-2015, 03:41 PM

It's because the cars are engineered for germany, which has strict but not crazy regulations, but isn't biased against diesel.
Old 09-21-2015, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Really? GM=VW...didn't know anybody died because VWs emission gig.

Oh, nobody did.
Actually, I'll bet some people did die. Or at least they died a little bit earlier than they might have otherwise

Everybody dies eventually. The difference is, how long they live before they die. A few cars that crash may cause a few people to die much earlier than they might otherwise. Many cars with bad emissions may cause many people to die a little bit earlier than they would have otherwise.
Old 09-21-2015, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin View Post
Increasingly it seems that if the rule for normal people is "commit the crime and do the time," the rule for the powerful is only "do the crime and pay the fine."
When was that ever not the case?
Old 09-21-2015, 05:46 PM

As I purchased a JSW TDI in March, I'm curious to see how this plays out. I expect at a minimum, the warranty on the car will be increased considerably beyond 3 yrs/36k. Heck, maybe they even replace my JSW (with only 9k miles on it,) with a urea burning 2016.
Old 09-21-2015, 06:28 PM
kg

A number of the posts here are really informative. Thanks and keep them coming.

Will the consumer class action suit include foregone resale profits as a consideration? Does that kind of thing happen?

Also, as I've mentioned, I have a 2015 JSW TDI with just 1,100 miles on it. I got the automatic even though I really wanted the manual. The thing just doesn't drive very well. The transmission shifts three times before I hit 20mph and often response to the pedal lags, so I step down, and then the turbo kicks in, peeling the skin off my face. The dealer tells me that I have to get used to how it drives. Could be, but everything is smooth in my wife's Honda CRV. Thoughts? I honestly wouldn't mind returning the thing.
Old 09-21-2015, 06:29 PM

Ice lol

So wait, the idea is to inject hydrocarbons into a metallic combustion chamber, ignite it via compression or electrical spark, and then produce torque via a piston, connecting rod, and a crankshaft with offset rod journals? Furthermore that this arrangement requires dramatic coaxing to attain contemporary U.S. emissions standards? How quaint! Someone might feel encouragement to cheat with regard to making this Rube Goldberg arrangement compliant with testing and yet also palatable to buyers? Shocker!

TL DR: "ICE LOL!"
Old 09-21-2015, 06:31 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgreene10 View Post
The thing just doesn't drive very well. The transmission shifts three times before I hit 20mph and often response to the pedal lags, so I step down, and then the turbo kicks in, peeling the skin off my face. The dealer tells me that I have to get used to how it drives. Could be, but everything is smooth in my wife's Honda CRV. Thoughts? I honestly wouldn't mind returning the thing.
You're obviously too old for that car. Drive it like a 19 yr old kid and you'll be fine.

Last edited by Louis; 09-21-2015 at 06:49 PM. Reason: typo
Old 09-21-2015, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgreene10 View Post
A number of the posts here are really informative. Thanks and keep them coming.

Will the consumer class action suit include foregone resale profits as a consideration? Does that kind of thing happen?

Also, as I've mentioned, I have a 2015 JSW TDI with just 1,100 miles on it. I got the automatic even though I really wanted the manual. The thing just doesn't drive very well. The transmission shifts three times before I hit 20mph and often response to the pedal lags, so I step down, and then the turbo kicks in, peeling the skin off my face. The dealer tells me that I have to get used to how it drives. Could be, but everything is smooth in my wife's Honda CRV. Thoughts? I honestly wouldn't mind returning the thing.
Early upshifts and delayed downshifts are ways to decrease fuel consumption. It can be effective but that is not my preferred way for a transmission to work. If these VWs have a "Sport Mode" button that usually makes a transmission upshift and downshift at higher engine rpm so the car feels more lively. Failing that you can probably shift it manually can't you?
Old 09-21-2015, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Robb View Post
If these VWs have a "Sport Mode" button that usually makes a transmission upshift and downshift at higher engine rpm so the car feels more lively. Failing that you can probably shift it manually can't you?
There's no sport mode. But the driver can shift manually.
Old 09-21-2015, 07:06 PM

Mash on the right pedal, it'll shift at the right spots. The DSG is the best automatic out there. That said, you shoulda gone manual.
Old 09-21-2015, 07:07 PM

I'm mostly annoyed with people calling into question the viability of diesel as a fuel in any capacity.

If the software update ruins my mileage, I'll be getting aftermarket software...

Tags
autoscam, boring threads