Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-13-2018, 07:21 AM

Zwift Question

Has anyone else noticed that Zpower seems harder than other programs? I did a comparison this morning with Zwift, TrainerRoad, and The Sufferfest. All are virtual power readings and compared at 80 rpm. Zwift was 120 watt, TrainerRoad 156 watts and The Sufferfest 155 watts. I knew it felt like I was killing myself to maintain watts on Zwift, now I know why.
Old 01-13-2018, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjk23 View Post
Has anyone else noticed that Zpower seems harder than other programs? I did a comparison this morning with Zwift, TrainerRoad, and The Sufferfest. All are virtual power readings and compared at 80 rpm. Zwift was 120 watt, TrainerRoad 156 watts and The Sufferfest 155 watts. I knew it felt like I was killing myself to maintain watts on Zwift, now I know why.
I found this out some time ago when I first started using my smart trainer. Through the various apps, if you have a PM, you can switch to have the apps and your ST use the power readings from your PM. Much more consistent, and in my case, I’m certain, more accurate.
Old 01-13-2018, 07:46 AM

"Zpower" relies on a fabricated power curve tweaked by each software vendor.. so yeah.. expect it to vary wildly and none of them are accurate.

If you are attempting to train with it you'll need to stick to one program. Think of them as "ZwiftBananas" vs. "TrainerRoadApples" instead of watts, and your life will be less stressful.

If you're using it for some other objective reason, time to invest in a Power Meter and/or Smart Trainer!
Old 01-13-2018, 03:42 PM
なんでやねん

Yep, as long as you don't compare, either with other software or with a power meter, all is well.
Old 01-13-2018, 03:56 PM

Yup. The power readings vary quite a bit, even within Zwift itself. I've noticed distinctly different ZPower readings between Zwift workouts and regular, unstructured Zwift rides.