Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-12-2018, 10:51 AM
Ride 'yer bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clancy View Post
Try buying a pair of Giro’s, ride with them for three months, then return them to any bike shop for a full refund.
No don't, really.

Returns are a huge money loss for any retailer. Getting credit takes time, they often don't offer full credit, sometimes not at all. It takes 2 or 3 new sales to make up for the return of one item that doesn't get processed. Ask any shop if they have any special discounts on 3 month old Giros...

I don't shop at REI, but I do go into their store to look around and see what they have. My complaint with REI is the same as the complaint with my own store - retail looks very different from the two sides. The Northeast has seen some record cold temps, consumers are coming in looking for warmer clothing. From the retailer's point of view, what's on the rack is based on what the manufacturers offer and those decisions have been made months ago. The two sides don't really match up, and I can't say that they're trying to close the gap.

The one policy that REI has that I love is Opt-Outside. Go out and use the stuff should be the message for any sporting goods retailer - and take your friends with you!
Old 01-12-2018, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post

drinking coffee as i type out of my newish Yeti coffee mug. to date this is the best desktop coffee mug i've used to keep coffee hot, and i've tried a bunch. found at REI on sale!

What is this "keeping coffee hot" thing you are speaking of? It gets cold before it is gone? I have never heard of such a thing. Obviously you aren't doing it right. Are you sure you went to maritime?

CaptStash....
Old 01-12-2018, 11:19 AM

I've been a member since 1972. There is no store where I live but I do go to Santa Fe about once a year and order an item or two online per annum. I have some product purchased in the 70's still in use. The looks are dated but the utility is not. Anyway, never had a problem, nothing but good vibes for me.
Old 01-12-2018, 11:34 AM

I don't have a store that convenient to me, but do get there occasionally. One little burr under my saddle is that the last time I was there, my wife was encouraging me to look at mountain bikes. Much of what was on display was hung upside down from above, requiring assistance to even look at something. Then, when a bike was brought down, they acted as if I was going to hijack it and escape from the store through the front window. Combined with the crackdown on returns, my guess is the policy is the result of significant losses to the company in both categories.
Old 01-12-2018, 11:46 AM

i like rei just fine.
sales staff who use their products and seem genuinely helpful and by all accounts spend time outside together. i don't care much that they don't have stupid long return policies (does anyone do anymore?). mfg warranty is good enough for me.
my local rei was quite friendly at expediting a repair. took it in, did all the back and forth with tnf and just called me to come pick up when it was ready. dunno what else we think a store is supposed to do...
Old 01-12-2018, 12:12 PM

REI as a whole is fine BUT I did have one incident that makes me completely avoid a certain REI location. If I can buy elsewhere I usually will but it’s not a total boycott.

The incident:
December 2014 or so...
I bought a marmot rain shell jacket before the rainy season at full price from REI ($260 or so if I remember correct). I use it for 2 months and one of the seams starts to split so I go back to the store I bought it from to see if I can exchange it for another one.

I find the last jacket in my size on the floor and attempt to make the exchange at the counter. The team member looks at my jacket and says sure no problem let’s make the exchange. We get to the final step and he says “oh it seems that your dividend check has been mailed out and it includes the purchase of this jacket”

I totally understand and ask if there’s a way to void the dividend check (there isn’t) so I ask if it’s possible to put the jacket on hold a couple days until the check arrives. The clerk then responds “it might take up to 8 weeks for it to arrive”

?!?! 8 weeks for a check that’s already in the mail to arrive? Ok whatever. I tell the clerk I’ll just keep my jacket with the ripped seam until the dividend arrives as it will still be under warranty and its not like it’s raining every day.

The clerk REFUSES to give me back my jacket and accuses me of damaging the jacket on purpose to get a new 2015 model jacket and “upgrade” for free.

At this point I’m visibly annoyed and repeatedly ask him to give me back the jacket. In fact the only words I’m saying are “give me back my jacket. Give me back my jacket. Give me my ****jacket” he refuses so I jump over the counter and take it from him.

So yeah. Berkeley REI returns counter guy sucks.

Ps. The manager called me the next day but the experience was enough for me not to want to deal with them
Old 01-12-2018, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtakeda View Post

I find the last jacket in my size on the floor and attempt to make the exchange at the counter. The team member looks at my jacket and says sure no problem let’s make the exchange. We get to the final step and he says “oh it seems that your dividend check has been mailed out and it includes the purchase of this jacket”

That's really weird...the status of the dividend check should have no impact on their ability to exchange like for like goods at the counter.

That having been said...the backend IT systems of some of these retailers are pretty archaic. It's possible the system blocked the exchange due to an "outstanding" credit...but if so, a manager should have over-ridden. Instead, they violated their own stated customer service policy and alienated a good (and vocal) customer.
Old 01-12-2018, 01:01 PM

This thread has gone a little sideways at times, but thanks for all of the comments. Interesting range. I see a lot of comments confusing Return vs. Warranty.

Checking out the return policy pages, I see:

Quote:
...you can return it for a replacement or refund within one year of purchase, except for outdoor electronics, which must be returned within 90 days of purchase...REI’s guarantee doesn’t cover ordinary wear and tear or damage caused by improper use or accidents.

If your item has a manufacturing defect in its materials or workmanship, you can return it at any time. See our limited warranty.
Pretty Straight forward for a reasonable person to understand.

How do you folks interpret the Warranty Page?

Quote:
If your item has a manufacturing defect in its materials or workmanship, you can return it at any time. Many of our items also have a separate warranty from the manufacturer, and you can also return any of those items that don’t meet the manufacturer's warranty.

This limited warranty gives you specific legal rights, and you may have other rights which vary from state to state.
Old 01-12-2018, 04:13 PM

Been a member for ions, but their customer service has gone down hill and my confidence in them is slowly eroding.
A few weeks ago I purchased a $33 Leatherman knife - paid for it with a 25 dollar gift card (that I got from work in a yankee swap - hate that name - Boston swap is better). Anyways, used the gift card and added 8 bucks of my own to make up the difference.
When I got home I went on line and saw that they had a nicer knife (more suitable for my needs) which I had not seen - I went back to REI and tried to upgrade - return the original and purchase the nicer one - of course I realized that I would owe a few bucks more.
The sales person stated she would only credit me the 8 bucks. She would not credit me the entire purchase price of $33. She insisted that I was to give her back the original knife and she would credit me $8.00 which I could then apply towards the purchase of the more expensive knife. I was dumbfounded - My previous transaction was in the computer, itemized my sale, had my membership card etc. I could not get her to realize that she was omitting the gift card - I was supposed to return a 33 dollar knife for an $8 credit. I was so exacerbated (asked for a manager that never showed up) that I took my knife and went home - UGH!!!
Old 01-12-2018, 04:51 PM

Used to love REI...

...especially the old warehouse store in the PNW. THAT was a mountain shop!

Now it's become a predominately women and childrens clothing store. At least the ones I go into from time to time. And similar to the Performance Bike store that used to be our great LBS I often walk out empty handed.

Regarding the return policies. I'm not a bit surprised they've changed. It just never seemed sustainable and my climbing buddies alone ground the hell out them for new gear that they clearly wore out and got their moneys worth out of. It was sport for them and it wasn't just limited to REI. I often had to bite my tongue while they bragged about their latest exploits. Or perhaps I should say exploitation? They just never understood how folks like them take the P out the profit and drive costs up for everyone else.

BTW...I say I bit my tongue because as a manufacturer of sporting goods products and an employer of good people making them I resent grinders like this having an adverse effect on other peoples lives. P out of the profit means le$$ for salaries, benefits, bonuses, little things like rent, etc.

It doesn't just hurt the retailers. It hurts the whole supply chain and drives cost up and jobs away.

Rant over...but you asked !!
Old 01-12-2018, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ti Designs View Post

The one policy that REI has that I love is Opt-Outside. Go out and use the stuff should be the message for any sporting goods retailer - and take your friends with you!

You of course realize that’s calculated marketing... #OptOutside after you buy our #EssentialGear for #VanLife

In the abstract though, yeah - it’s a good slogan to live by.
Old 01-13-2018, 08:10 AM

Rei

When I retired two years ago, I thought that it would be fun to work at REI. I live about 30 miles from the store in Asheville, NC, so I went and spoke to the manager, who asked me to come back for their interview process. I ws hired and worked there for a little over three months, before I developed a foot issue that just made it difficult to work 8 hours on a concrete floor. My pedometer read 8 miles each day and 17 flights of stairs. Before I got in shape for that grind, I felt like I was training for a marathon. I sat behind a desk for 35 years!
Back to the OP. I was blown away by how many return items we accepted. Including items beyond one year. I worked in Action Sports which was bikes and boats. I received a good bit of training, but there was still so much to know and the other staff members were very helpful. Everyone worked diligently to serve the customers. 98% of the customers were easy to work with. The coolest thing about the job was talking to the customers about their adventures.
In summary, I suspect each store has it's on culture, that is typically a reflection of the manager. I realize that the big money makes appeared to be clothes and shoes. Most of the bikes we sold were less than $1000. However, it was a good experience because of the people I worked with, the culture in that store and the customers who were mostly very cool. No retail store is perfect, but I continue to shop at REI, in the store and online.
Old 01-13-2018, 09:03 AM

The nearest REI to me is in MD. When I do make the journey down there, I have a tendency to get a shopping cart and wander the store. It does make for a good dividend every year.
I think their warranty policy was abused. I'm not sure when we decided that lifetime warranty meant use a product for years, wear it out and take it back. Jackets DO wear out. So do shoes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 01-13-2018, 09:44 AM

I don't buy much from REI anymore as I'm also a price shopper and their full priced items even with a dividend is still more expensive than elsewhere. But I do use the REI garage on 20% coupon days which makes for great deals.

I haven't had to return much but what I did was done so without issue (not used and within a 30 day window). My only real odd experience was picking up an online order at my local store. Lady at the counter ended up giving me somebody else's order (same last name). I had to go back and pick it up. The next lady was confused as my order in the system was already picked up. I ordered some swim jammers but picked up somebody else's kids CamelBak bottles.

Last edited by loxx0050; 01-13-2018 at 10:00 AM.
Old 01-13-2018, 11:45 AM

One thing I'll give props to REI for is their classes. My daughter was never comfortable on a bike, she was about 13 and she and I had reached a sort of impasse where it was obvious she was never going to progress with my 'help.' So I signed her up for an REI class and it worked out really well. She's now a good bike rider, and in fact I bought her bike from REI. It's cool that they offer classes for adults who want to learn something about bikes, rock climbing, etc. I've grown to appreciate these kinds of classes as I become an old man.