Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-09-2018, 11:34 PM

Vector 3 or 3S?

My first power meter came with my Supersix Hi-mod and it was a Pioneer dual. I do like the cycling dynamics data, and am torn between getting the Garmin Vector 3 or 3S. I ride a mix of zwift, local group rides, and the occasional race. Lately been racing more on zwift due to the time convenience (have 4 kids!)

My question is, since my dual sided power meter time with my Pioneer was relatively short-lived (about 6 months), will I seriously miss the extra data on my Garmin 1000 or will it be negligible once I get used to having a single? Would love to hear from folks who have moved from single to dual or the vice versa. Or is it one of those things that once you go dual you can't go back?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!
Mark
Old 01-10-2018, 04:39 AM

I have both an SRM and an older generation of the Vector 2s and while I do like the added data on pedal efficiencies and such I find that the numbers I'm really after aren't enhanced much w/the added data offered w/the pedals. also, I had issues w/the vector 2s working consistently w/software upgrades from time to time but as of about a year ago Garmin got it right and the issues have ceased.

go for what is most practical and affordable, both work well. I also do like the pedal platform very much; it's a very nice pedal.
Old 01-10-2018, 06:26 AM

I ordered the dual sensor Vector 3. I have leg strength discrepancies resulting from knee issues resulting in a TKR. Single pedal power sensors didn’t make sense for me. I’m looking forward to seeing if I can make use of the pedaling dynamics features Garmin offers.
Old 01-10-2018, 09:25 AM

Talking

Peter Sagan is currently riding a single side meter so I suspect it’s all you need. I would get the single and you can always add the other side if the single is holding you back.

Last edited by rnhood; 01-10-2018 at 10:11 AM.
Old 01-11-2018, 05:29 PM

Thanks for the replies! I do like the fact that the new vector doesn’t have a dongle and doesn’t require torquing. I have ordered the 3S since rnhood is correct in that I can always add the other side later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-12-2018, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnhood View Post
Peter Sagan is currently riding a single side meter so I suspect it’s all you need. I would get the single and you can always add the other side if the single is holding you back.
I'm not sure that B follows A. Peter Sagan's team is sponsored by 4iiii, which makes single sided power meters. Therefore, Peter Sagan's need for a single sided power meter may simply be his contractual obligation to use (or at least be seen with) a 4iiii power meter. A rider with different needs may be better served by a different type of power meter.
Old 01-13-2018, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnhood View Post
I would say this is good advice.

Save your money, I doubt you are a pro, and if you are, you will need the money to travel to races anyways.