Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-11-2018, 08:27 PM

Rotor 3D+ lock ring

I recently bought a used Rotor 3D+ 52/36 110 BCD crankset to be installed on my 2012 Ridley Helium. The Ridley has a 68mm BSA BB so I also bought the appropriate BB conversion cups. When I went to install the crank, I found it to be to short.
I subsequently learned that I had bought a crankset to be used on a BBright BB (Cervelo) but I could solve my problem by removing the lock ring on the inside of the drive side....I'm willing to spend the money for the dedicated tool but my question is whether I need to replace the spider?...is the spider different?...
It appears that by removing the lock ring, I'll gain enough clearance for the spindle to go alll the way through.
Any insight?
Old 01-11-2018, 08:39 PM

The 3D+ has a BB386 length spindle, so it should fit.

3dplus_bb30_manual_12-8-10.pdf

bbright_24mm_bb.pdf

I have a 3D+ SRM. When the power meter failed, SRM sent me the proper tool to remove the spider. I tried, but I could not remove it.
Old 01-11-2018, 09:53 PM
Yours truly

I have several sets of 3D+ cranks but none of them are for Cervelo. The lockring on the DS is used to secure the spider so you can't just omit it. I think you will need to replace spider but could possibly use the same lockring. That lockring is loctited from the factory so it might not be easy to remove without the proper tool and technique. I have removed it before by mounting the tool on a bench wise (a heavy duty one) and use the crank as a lever to remove it. Unless you don't mind to spend the money and effort to change out the spider, I would just sell it, and get a regular 3D+ cranks and be done with it. That Cervelo asymmetric BB design is weird and does not make sense at all.
Old 01-12-2018, 01:27 AM

If I'm not mistaken, the Rotor has made a special 3D+ crank specifically for Cervelo BBRight with a slightly shorter spindle. It looks cleaner as no spacers needed on BBRight.

68mm BSA narrower than BBRight. With the right set of spacers you should be able to make the crank work -- but you can't use the "normal" BSA to BB386 spacer set.
Old 01-12-2018, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigoat View Post
I have several sets of 3D+ cranks but none of them are for Cervelo. The lockring on the DS is used to secure the spider so you can't just omit it. I think you will need to replace spider but could possibly use the same lockring. That lockring is loctited from the factory so it might not be easy to remove without the proper tool and technique. I have removed it before by mounting the tool on a bench wise (a heavy duty one) and use the crank as a lever to remove it. Unless you don't mind to spend the money and effort to change out the spider, I would just sell it, and get a regular 3D+ cranks and be done with it. That Cervelo asymmetric BB design is weird and does not make sense at all.
Thanks for your input...you're spot on..I spoke to Aaron @ RotorUSA, he confirmed your comments. He is sending out the correct spider and lockring, I've ordered a lockring tool (Endura), which I'll probably put on EBay afterwards...Aaron pointed out that the lock ring was torqued on at the factory @52nm and secured with "green" Loctite. He cautioned to clean the inside surface of remaining Loctite in order to maintain symmetry.