Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-12-2018, 08:30 AM

Yakima users...round vs "whisper" bars

I've used yakima forever and round bars forever, got new car and when i did the yakima fit thing online to determine which towers it prompts me to bars. Now they've got these whisper bars shaped like airplane wing. Anyone notice a difference sound wise, etc between these bars and conventional round ones?
Old 01-12-2018, 08:44 AM
Administrator

yes, the aero bars are quieter than the round bars, for sure, but adding a fairing is still the best way to quiet down the drone. different cars are effected differently by sound as well, depending on how high off the roof line they sit and the overall aerodynamics of air moving across the topside of the car.

be aware that if you do get the aero bars, some of your accessories which are made for the round bars may no longer fit the aero ones.

i'm still using round yakimas on my jeep and jetta, but we have the aero bars on our minivan.

if i were getting a brand new car, which i believe you are, i'd probably go aero.
Old 01-12-2018, 08:48 AM

^^^ What he said. If you already have round bars, a faring will help. Another cheap but not as effective fix is to spiral wrap a bungie around the bar from end to end. Helps reduce noise via vortex shedding.
Old 01-12-2018, 09:31 AM
Cat 6

worlds quieter.
Old 01-12-2018, 09:48 AM

I told my son to get the round bars. He was sold on the aero. Then he tried to borrow the Kayak rack and was disappointed that they wouldn't fit. I pop my bars off the Subaru unless I'm carrying something and the round bars are nice and quiet sitting in the corner of the garage.