Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-05-2017, 12:16 PM

The coating has been holding up really well to riding in the rain, even in sandy conditions. I gave some to some of the local pro riders who are putting in big miles in all weather conditions and they still look really good.

That is good news about the scuff wearing off by wiping it. A plastic tire lever definitely shouldn't take the coating off! This is definitely different than anodization and so it holds up much better in wet weather conditions.

The thing that can wear off the coating prematurely is using other alloy rims on the same brake pads. If you pick up pieces of aluminum from another wheelset, then that can dig into the coating and cause streaks.
Old 01-04-2018, 11:01 PM

how do these weigh up so to speak? I have a set of dt swiss 240s hubs i wanna build into something. I need to learn how to build wheels

Gravel?

long term report?

thanks
Old 01-05-2018, 06:30 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzilliox View Post
how do these weigh up so to speak? I have a set of dt swiss 240s hubs i wanna build into something. I need to learn how to build wheels

Gravel?

long term report?

thanks
R3awak3n has been raving about how much he likes his. I didnt realize these were available as a rim only. how much are they for just a rim? the A33's are can be had for about 175 per.

i dont live in the wet PNW, but for me, it's hard to justify a rim that expensive when i can get super excellent Archetypes for like $60/rim. are those rims worth 3x the cost of an Archetype, i donno? i also think the brake track on the H+son wheels is excellent ond offers super braking with the right pads.

curious to hear if people think these ceramic rims brake that much better.

personally speaking also, i dont mind the worn out ano look on rims, makes them look like they get ridden.
Old 01-05-2018, 07:19 AM
aka RAEKWON

They are about $180 per rim which is not cheap but they do come with a pair of gxp pads which are about $25.

As far as weight they are decently light, conparable to eaht is out there on the market, 435g rim for the lite, the non lite is a big heavier but more aero. My lite setup built up to 1550g I believe, 28 spoke front and back, tune front hib and powertap rear. You could shave 160g off that with a tune rear hub and have a 1400ish g 28spoke wheel which is pretty impressive.

I have about 700miles on one of the sets, most road miles but probably 50 gravel miles. They still look great. I think I read that you can expect the brake tracks to not be so resilient if you do too much grave and it makes sense. Braking is excellent. Are they worth the extra price from the Archtypes? Depends on what you want. I am a huge archtype fan. The boyds are tubeless, look better because of being all 1 color and are lighter. Construction is also very nice. If they are worth it or not it really is up to the person, to me they are because they are exactly what I want.

I just bought a second set so this year I will have a ton more miles on these.
Old 01-05-2018, 07:23 AM
Administrator

Good input R3. I'll probably try a set at some point. it's definitely good to know that they are available as rim only.
Old 01-05-2018, 10:07 AM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
Good input R3. I'll probably try a set at some point. it's definitely good to know that they are available as rim only.
yeah and thats a new thing. When I got mine you could only either buy directly from boyd or have an approved builder build with them so I went with someone I found on their builders list (who I was very happy with actually).

I would have probably would have built that set myself but glad I went with a pro since the wheels are much better built than if I did it myself
Old 01-11-2018, 10:14 AM
shimergo

Do you folks have the first generation or second (latest) generation of the ceramic rims?

Boyd is closing out their Gen1 rims and their complete stock builds can be had for ~$650-700 per set. Based on their pictures the brake track finish on the Gen1 is definitely not as robust but doesn't look necessarily terrible either.
Old 01-11-2018, 11:05 AM

DT Swiss OXIC PR 1400

Though the Oxic coated rims are not yet available to the public, this DT Swiss wheelset ticks all the boxes for me...excellent braking, very durable coating, DT hubs (based on 240s?) with the star ratchet, bladed (DT) spokes and great aesthetics. Highly recommended!
Old 01-12-2018, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by one60 View Post
Though the Oxic coated rims are not yet available to the public, this DT Swiss wheelset ticks all the boxes for me...excellent braking, very durable coating, DT hubs (based on 240s?) with the star ratchet, bladed (DT) spokes and great aesthetics. Highly recommended!
Seconded. They're an excellent wheelset.
Old 01-12-2018, 06:15 AM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobydrew View Post
Do you folks have the first generation or second (latest) generation of the ceramic rims?

Boyd is closing out their Gen1 rims and their complete stock builds can be had for ~$650-700 per set. Based on their pictures the brake track finish on the Gen1 is definitely not as robust but doesn't look necessarily terrible either.
I have second gen.

I agree the dt swiss wheelser looks very nice, love the ceramic coated hubs
Old 11-11-2018, 12:02 PM

R3awak3n, how are your Altamonte Lite ceramic rims holding up? Is the coating on the brake track still intact and unblemished?
Thanks