Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-02-2017, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weisan View Post
And getting used to the feeling of "hungry ".
Weisan pal,
I lost 15lbs over 2-3 months last year with this point being the key. "Getting used feeling hungry". I told my friends I was getting intimate with hunger. It turns out a little hunger isn't too bad and the discomfort in you stomach goes away after a while. On the positive side, I feel more awake with mild hunger than when full. When you push the hunger envelop a bit to see what real hunger feels like, then you learn that serious hunger isn't your stomach growling, it's your whole body feeling weak and crappy.
I've gained 5-7lb back now (15 was too much), but remembering to embrace mild hunger keeps me confident that long term maintenance of this weight will not be that hard.
Old 10-02-2017, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker72 View Post
+1
High carb, low carb, no carb.....they all work ....for a while. Moderation is the key.
eating real food is the key, not fillers. calories are not the entire ballgame. nutrition value is much more important. so in summary, eat less meat, no soda, very little sugar, very little processed anything, more veggies, more beans and rice. less dessert. profit. it really is this simple, it only takes a change of purchasing habits.
Old 10-02-2017, 01:38 PM

Quote:
And getting used to the feeling of "hungry ".
this is the key. period. end of story. oh, and eat real food.
Old 10-02-2017, 01:42 PM
Imshi Cycles

I lost 15lbs (180-->165) over the past 4 months simply by changing my diet. I moved from a "if it tastes good, eat it!" mentality to a vegetarian/mostly-vegan diet, cooking a lot more for myself, eating "whole" foods, fresh veggies, grains, etc.

I usually lose weight during CX season (due to more intense riding on a regular basis) but this time the weight dropped off before CX even began! Just wish I had the fitness to take advantage of it, ha.

But yea, i really feel like ive turned a corner recently as far as diet/nutrition is concerned. Feeling great about the food im eating, feeling great physically and mentally, pizza is the only guilty-pleasure of mine that still remains, and im ok with that
Old 10-02-2017, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eBAUMANN View Post
I lost 15lbs (180-->165) over the past 4 months simply by changing my diet. I moved from a "if it tastes good, eat it!" mentality to a vegetarian/mostly-vegan diet, cooking a lot more for myself, eating "whole" foods, fresh veggies, grains, etc.

I usually lose weight during CX season (due to more intense riding on a regular basis) but this time the weight dropped off before CX even began! Just wish I had the fitness to take advantage of it, ha.

But yea, i really feel like ive turned a corner recently as far as diet/nutrition is concerned. Feeling great about the food im eating, feeling great physically and mentally, pizza is the only guilty-pleasure of mine that still remains, and im ok with that
ive met all sort of people who drop fad diets. i have yet to meet someone who makes this change and does not see immediate and real lasting results of true health. the nutrition industry is an industry and they have lied to us sine it was an industry, its useful to make money off things which say "diet". but deep down we are animals and know better. and once you go with your gut (figuratively and literally) you will find the long term results you want for health.
Old 10-09-2017, 08:12 AM
ZhugeLiang

Based on activity level

Things are still going well, pretty much stabilized and becoming more and more the new "normal" and sustainable for the long term.

I basically think about what I am doing for the day and eat accordingly.

Am I plowing 2 acres of farmland or feeding 200 chickens daily, like my grandfather did?

If the answer is yes, I can pretty much eat anything I want.

However, if I am just sitting on my butt the whole day, clicking the mouse 300 clicks and moving it within a 10 by 10 cm square, then I have no business plunking down a full size hamburger, large soda, and having dessert.

It's that simple. I judge how much I eat based on my activity level.

Also, I taper off the intake as the day gets later knowing that I will be moving around a lot less once I get home and things start to wind down. In other words, I try to eat a "bigger" meal earlier in the day when I am moving around more or doing something physical.
Old 10-09-2017, 08:47 AM

Quote:
The reason I am sharing or starting this thread is, hopefully, it will serve as an encouragement and motivation for others and secondly, just to express how amazed I was with the benefits gained through simple weight loss and body strengthening.
Thanks for sharing. I've learned the benefits of losing weight after doing so in 2010, but for me weight gain seems just too easy. I'm looking to lose 15 lbs or so (goal weight = under 160 lbs). I know that if I'm at 160 or just under then even low fitness levels are okay in races, even those with a little hill or extended difficult sections (i.e. strung out single file). At 170 lbs I have to be somewhat fit to contest even the easier races and as soon as it strings out I'm in serious trouble.

Congrats on your weight loss. And thanks for reminding me what it takes.
Old 10-09-2017, 08:49 AM

For others I'll add that one significant thing for me was cutting simple sugars as much as possible. With sugary foods I'd bonk pretty bad after a few hours, but with less sugary foods my energy levels seemed to stabilize. Never too peaky one way or another, so no big burst but also no big crash.

It takes me about 4-5 days to wean myself off of sugar, and during those days there are some serious bonk episodes. Then it evens out.

Work isn't great for food and I've been trying to wean myself off of sugar. Had some set backs recently but your post has encouraged me.
Old 01-11-2018, 07:24 AM
ZhugeLiang

I don't step on the weighing machine religiously every day. Heck, I couldn't even remember the last time I weighed myself. The thing ran out of battery awhile ago and I just got around to replacing it a few days ago.

Latest reading this morning : 151.8
Old 01-11-2018, 08:59 AM

Amazing. Well done.
Old 01-11-2018, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Latest reading this morning : 151.8
That is great Wei! Especially over the holidays! I've gone the other way and am about a lb over the high end of my normal range. If I could stay away from pop tarts and happy hours, I might get this knocked down fairly quickly.

Texbike
Old 01-11-2018, 01:51 PM

All great ideas on weight loss. I have lost 25 lbs in the last 4 months by cutting out candy and eating a very light dinner each night. Also no more snacking and nothing to eat at least 3 hours before I go to bed. I do exercise at least 5 days a week but for me a light dinner was the key.
Old 01-11-2018, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob heinatz View Post
All great ideas on weight loss. I have lost 25 lbs in the last 4 months by cutting out candy and eating a very light dinner each night. Also no more snacking and nothing to eat at least 3 hours before I go to bed. I do exercise at least 5 days a week but for me a light dinner was the key.
I have to agree with an early light dinner. Also a good nights rest.
Old 01-11-2018, 03:14 PM
Shifty Member

I've fallen apart. No riding plus a pretty rigorous work schedule has led to a slide from 170 this summer to 198. It's the most I've ever weighed, but the funny thing is that I'm not the fattest I've been since I've been able to keep some muscle. That helps a bit since I can still fit in most of my pant, which isn't always the case.

That said, I've set up my basement with a new smart tv and my trainer so that I can get some riding in while catching up on shows. Wish I could figure out a way to couple trainer time with studying for my professional exams, but don't think I can make that happen.
Old 01-21-2018, 09:34 AM
ZhugeLiang

eippo pal, I hope you get back on track soon.

150.0 even

20 pounds.

Gone.

Rode with my usual group yesterday.

Went up that same super steep bastard*&@^#*@^ hill, always panting like crazy when we got to the top, hurt like hell...but this time was different.
Won't exactly say it was a walk in the park but...20 pounds is 20 pounds. Everyone was whining and groaning as usual...I just kept my mouth shut and make sure I didn't say anything.