Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-11-2018, 11:02 AM
kg

Ritchey Zeta II WCS wheel experience?

Has anyone used these wheels? They are apparently great for travel because the freehub and axle easily slide off without tools and unlike DT Swiss that also does this, the Ritchey doesn’t seem to have small parts that come loose and could get lost.

But how are they as wheels go? I would sell my CK R45 to HED Belgiums to get them. How might they compare for stiffness, overall ride quality, and durability?

Any experiences with them will be helpful.
Old 01-11-2018, 01:37 PM

No direct experience, but I did consider them for my S&S bike because of issues fitting my bike with a standard wheelset in my 10" case. I emailed Ritchey to get their opinion on the wheelset's compatibility with my size (~250# me + bike) and they recommended against it as one might imagine.

I ended up going to the other end of the money spectrum with an OP built A23 OC onto a Velo Orange Hi-Lo hub that has the same toolless freehub removal feature and it works splendidly.
Old 01-11-2018, 01:52 PM

I ride 'em lots. I have a Ritchey Breakaway carbon road that I love and use for travel as well as non-travel use. I have extra cassette bodies and axles and this allows me to quickly swap cassette sizes from an 11-30 when in California, to an 11-25, here in Indiana. Also between Campy and Shimano, so the wheels can be used on other bikes, but I haven't employed that yet. I'm not light either, 200lbs plus. #recommend

PS, I REALLY like these wheels and the Ritchey BA frame. I just got a Ritchey Breakaway Outback and a set of same wheels, but this time disc. I will likely be selling the non-disc frame and wheels soon. If interested, PM me.