Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-10-2018, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
I do not understand what you mean. What is a "fixed pin" master link? While I understand that link "stretch" refers to wear, what prevents the pins on a master link from wearing? Pin wear occur has occurred on all master links I've ever used (and in some cases, the master link pins wear faster than the rest of the chain pins).

Also, no modern derailleur chains use bushings.
You’re right about bushings. My nomenclature is off. Even so, on master links like the Wipperman, the pins are attached to the outer plates and do not rotate in relation to thise plate, so there no chance for the pins to wear wear where an ordinary pin would pass through the outer plate. There could be some wear where the pin passes through the inner plate. Assuming an ordinary pin would wear at points of contact with both the inner and outer plates, it would seem that pins on a master link should wear at half the rate of an ordinary pin. This is my amateur engineer at best, but as a practical matter, I’ve been refusing Wipperman connex links for years without any problems, and I change my chains more frequently than most here.

Last edited by djg21; 01-10-2018 at 01:50 PM.
Old 01-10-2018, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djg21 View Post
You’re right about bushings. My nomenclature is off. Even so, on master links like the Wipperman, the pins are attached to the outer plates and do not rotate in relation to thise plate, so there no chance for the pins to wear wear where an ordinary pin would pass through the outer plate. There could be some wear where the pin passes through the inner plate. Assuming an ordinary pin would wear at points of contact with both the inner and outer plates, it would seem that pins on a master link should wear at half the rate of an ordinary pin. This is my amateur engineer at best, but as a practical matter, I’ve been refusing Wipperman connex links for years without any problems, and I change my chains more frequently than most here.
I'm still not following. In use, the pins on all links (standard links and masterlinks) do not move with respect to the outer plates, so there is no wear between the pins and the outer links. The wear is from the inner links rotating on the pins, and the loads and rotations are the same for both standard links and master links).

Due to the different requirements of a master link pin (such as the need to cut a shoulder into one end of the pin, and the need to permanently fuse the other end to the side plate), the pin on a master link may be made from a different alloy or have a different temper (i.e. heat treatment) than standard pins, so they may wear at a different rate.
Old 01-10-2018, 12:54 PM

The problem with re-using a master link over and over isn't necessarily with it breaking-although that certainly does become an increasing concern over time. The problem is with the STRETCH. The combined effect of pin wear and elongation of the link places a re-used master link increasingly out of spec with respect to length over time. If you are diligent, elongation is the first factor that would make you retire a chain. The master link stretches at approximately the same rate as other links on the chain. When you consider that on a 15 or 16 cog the load is spread over three or four links, each time the chain passes over the cassette cogs, there is significant elongation of the chain at that point and wear is increased. If you are the type-like me- who prefers to replace a chain early so as to extend cog life, this is something to consider. I don't think it's insignificant.
Old 01-10-2018, 01:39 PM

I think it comes down to the definition of 're-use' of the master link. If it means removing and installing the master link on the same chain (as for removing the chain for cleaning), this should be fine for most master links.

If it means moving the master link to a new chain, that would probably not be a good idea. As noted above, the master link wears as fast as (and sometimes faster than) the rest of the chain, so by the time the chain is worn out, the master link will be worn out as well. If installed on a new chain, the chain will have one link that has an abnormally long pitch (the worn master link), and will not mesh well with the rest of the drivetrain.
Old 01-10-2018, 04:15 PM
Pack fill

My thought is new chain, new link. When the chain is done so is the link. They cost like $4.00 at the LBS, not even a second thought about putting a used one on a new chain, aint happening

Last edited by johnniecakes; 01-10-2018 at 04:16 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-10-2018, 04:24 PM
ZhugeLiang

Ahem...they are like a buck apiece on bay. Free shipping too. But it comes in a boat, be ready to wait three months.

Peter pal, I have to say...I am a bit surprised that the query came from you. I always thought you were there at the beginning when they first invented the bicycle and knew everything.

Thank you for exemplifying the spirit of lifelong learning.
Old 01-10-2018, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weisan View Post
Ahem...they are like a buck apiece on bay. Free shipping too. But it comes in a boat, be ready to wait three months.

Peter pal, I have to say...I am a bit surprised that the query came from you. I always thought you were there at the beginning when they first invented the bicycle and knew everything.

That's funny!

I'm a retrogrouch, and a cheap one at that. It's taken me until now to pry open my wallet to try a quick link, then put the moths back in the wallet.
Old 01-10-2018, 07:30 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter P. View Post
That's funny!

I'm a retrogrouch, and a cheap one at that. It's taken me until now to pry open my wallet to try a quick link, then put the moths back in the wallet.
Peter - just buy KMC chains online. They come with the quick link and are cheaper than most other chains. they are all i use now on all my bikes.
Old 01-10-2018, 10:50 PM

I actually had my first quick link fail a couple of strokes after a red light trackstand about a month ago... it was a transfer-over from a worn chain to a drivetrain with both new chain and chainrings.

Besides that, I'm with most others in that I'll take it off 6-8 times for cleaning and leave it on the same chain. Never had one fail when it was on the first chain it ever touched.
Old 01-11-2018, 08:51 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by weisan View Post