Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-10-2018, 10:44 AM

Garmin 510 - Frozen Screen Problem - Help

My Garmin 510 is frozen in the mode of "saving" the last ride. That is, the screen shows that the device is stuck in an infinite loop (i.e., the turning save scroll) that I cannot break. I let the Garmin "save" until the battery dies, and then charged in back up; upon turning the device on, it immediately reentered the infinite save loop. I tried using the Garmin app (with the device connect to my computer), but this did not work. I cannot locate a physical reset button (i.e., a hard reset) on the device.

All helpful suggestions are appreciated. Thanks. EWO
Old 01-10-2018, 10:51 AM
extremely tall

Get a Bolt?

Quote:
Originally Posted by eolson124 View Post
My Garmin 510 is frozen in the mode of "saving" the last ride. That is, the screen shows that the device is stuck in an infinite loop (i.e., the turning save scroll) that I cannot break. I let the Garmin "save" until the battery dies, and then charged in back up; upon turning the device on, it immediately reentered the infinite save loop. I tried using the Garmin app (with the device connect to my computer), but this did not work. I cannot locate a physical reset button (i.e., a hard reset) on the device.

Old 01-10-2018, 11:05 AM
Riding Along

Quote:
Originally Posted by eolson124 View Post

Call Garmin and make sure you start the call feeling very patient.
Old 01-10-2018, 11:34 AM

Sounds like a typical Garmin freeze-up. If you are willing to lose some data, your best bet is to do a hard reset. Press and hold down the Lap, Start, and Power buttons until the boot screen is displayed, then let go. Once it's back up, go into the storage device and delete every .fit (ride) file. You MUST clean out the storage early and often to avoid this condition. If you are not willing to lose data, then call Garmin and have your blood pressure meds ready.
Old 01-11-2018, 08:00 AM

What shovelhd said.. sounds like the file system is corrupt.

So even if you get your last .fit file off, you will want to do a hard reset & format. Otherwise weird things will continue to happen.

Eventually you'll get tired of it and go to the Wahoo units.