Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-31-2017, 11:39 AM

trek emonda + di2 battery= ?

In light of the events that happened a week ago in which my steertube cracked on my beloved 8 year old fuji roubaix, i figured it was time to get a new bike.

-the bike i got was the trek emonda slr (frame only). To go along with this bike, I got a new di2 setup. i have been sitting on a whole di2 setup for quite some time so i figured now's the time to use it.

-my question is this: where should i put the battery on this bike? the emonda has a seat tube that sticks out above the top tube about 5 or 6 inches and also has a seat mast that goes on top of it.

-I ended up putting the battery in the seat tube itself. It was a really tight fight but managed to get it in there. Will cramming the battery in the seat tube damage the frame at all? if so then i suppose my only other placement option will be in the seat mast.
Old 12-31-2017, 11:43 AM

Trek sells an adapter for the internal battery to fit in the seatmast. Are you using the adapter? It looks like a mushroom that clips onto the end.

The battery itself should be much smaller than the internal diameter of the mast. If you had to jam it in there, I think there's a problem. Or do you mean you shoved the battery up the seat tube through the BB opening? If so, I'd remove it and install in the mast as recommended. Will also allow you to get to the battery with out having to pull the crank.

Last edited by batman1425; 12-31-2017 at 11:46 AM.
Old 12-31-2017, 11:57 AM

^^^ is spot on..

My Boone has it tucked up into the seatmast with a foam donut, but I bought the special holder to mount it down in the seattube when I do the 1x to 2x conversion.
Old 12-31-2017, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
^^^ is spot on..

My Boone has it tucked up into the seatmast with a foam donut, but I bought the special holder to mount it down in the seattube when I do the 1x to 2x conversion.
i noticed there was a foam donut as well. seems too minimal to hold a battery in place while riding bumpy roads
Old 12-31-2017, 04:07 PM

so i just realized that the di2 battery is to long to be put in the seat mast. so my only option now is to put it into the seat tube :/
Old 12-31-2017, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanooze View Post
so i just realized that the di2 battery is to long to be put in the seat mast. so my only option now is to put it into the seat tube :/
Not sure what the big deal is, the seat tube where it's designed to go on this frame. Get the mount for it and it's a done deal.

It's actually better that you mount it in the seat tube rather than in the topper. If you need to adjust your saddle height, there's a chance you could unplug the battery or pull it out of the topper if the wire gets caught.