Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-30-2017, 06:39 PM
Princess Sweat

Tubeless... what would you do?

I'm doing a build for a friend. He's not a bike geek by any means, just wants something that rides better, is lighter, and looks cooler than his current bike. It's not a tall order at all.

For his commute and riding in/around Los Angeles WTB Horizon tires fit the bill perfectly.

Here's the question: He's not a techy guy. Just wants things to work and he won't benefit or notice if stuff if tubeless or not. To that end, while I've shown him how to change a flat he'll probably end up taking the bike to the LBS (or call me up) if he does flat.

So the question is this: Is it worth doing the tubeless set-up for him or should I just pop an inner tube inside and let it go?

I'm honestly unsure since I commute to work in Assos and on CF tubulars.
Old 12-30-2017, 07:16 PM
Soy Un Perdedor

Go tubeless. No muss, no fuss. I've been riding tubeless for many years on MTB and for 3 years now on road. So much better.

Just meet up with him every 3 months or so to refresh his tubeless fluid. Easy peazy, and less time consuming than changing tubes/patching flats.
Old 12-30-2017, 07:35 PM

I also vote tubeless. I think those tires would be an excellent choice for tubeless commuter set-up. They hold air, ride nice enough.
Old 12-30-2017, 07:47 PM

Tube.

Otherwise, he'll be coming to you for every little maintenance issue with tubeless. You have enough to deal with on your own bikes.
Old 12-30-2017, 08:40 PM

Tube.
Old 12-30-2017, 09:41 PM

Tube....doesn't sound like the type that pumps their tires up very frequently. If you go tubeless, put an extra wrap of rim tape on to hold air better, and give him a dynaplug and teach him how to use it.
Old 12-30-2017, 10:40 PM

Tubeless. It is just better.
Old 12-31-2017, 02:04 AM
Pack fill

Tube

Unless you are willing to help him with in PITA that is tubeless put in tubes and rest easy
Old 12-31-2017, 05:50 AM
ZhugeLiang

rather than answering whether tubeless or tube, I would do what I can to encourage your friend to take more ownership and interest over this whole upgrade exercise. The desire for "something that rides better, is lighter, and looks cooler" and "just wants things to work" is something that we ALL want, regardless of whether the rider is techy or a bike geek or not. You want or desire something, you have to work for and towards those goals. I can help but you got to help yourself first primarily.
Old 12-31-2017, 06:55 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by false_Aest View Post
I'm doing a build for a friend. He's not a bike geek by any means, just wants something that rides better, is lighter, and looks cooler than his current bike. It's not a tall order at all.

For his commute and riding in/around Los Angeles WTB Horizon tires fit the bill perfectly.

Here's the question: He's not a techy guy. Just wants things to work and he won't benefit or notice if stuff if tubeless or not. To that end, while I've shown him how to change a flat he'll probably end up taking the bike to the LBS (or call me up) if he does flat.

So the question is this: Is it worth doing the tubeless set-up for him or should I just pop an inner tube inside and let it go?

I'm honestly unsure since I commute to work in Assos and on CF tubulars.
Use a tube and put sealant in it..