Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-14-2017, 01:02 AM

OT: 4 Days in LA...

Hey Guys...Heading out to LAX on the 21st for 4 days (with the family in tow).

They have never been to CA, and I haven't been in LA since the late 90's (OC scooter scene).

Looking for some general recommendations for where to stay, general exploring, good eats, etc.

We're just looking to check out the city (and some beach)...We will probably drive up towards SLO one day, and I would like to do a little outdoors time, maybe in the San Gabriels.

We enjoy exploring neighborhoods...we like mid-century and arts&crafts arch.

KoreaTown recommendations might be good, as we don't have much Korean in the STL. Maybe some Armenian? Dunno.

Flying out of Burbank on the 25th.

No bike time.

TIA
-Mark in St. Louis
Old 03-14-2017, 01:35 AM
Boeuf Chaîne

I'm no CA or LA expert, but have been out there a fair amount on business.

I'd vote for sightseeing along Rte 1 either north of Santa Monica or south of Seal Beach.

Or, if enough folks are into the Beach Boys or the surf sound, maybe some places related to that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5D07c0dJuQ
Old 03-14-2017, 01:47 AM

For Armenian cuisine, Glendale has plenty of spots to choose from.

For architecture, Downtown Pasadena has lots to offer with very interesting buildings and alley ways to explore with shops in every nook and cranny. You can also visit the Huntington Gardens, tons of interesting plants and Historic Structures.

While in San Gabriel, check out the the LA Arboretum. Similar to the Huntington but with tons of Wildlife. Peacocks roam the grounds and you will often see deer lurking between trees and bushes. Again, lots of Historic structures and interesting plant life.

Maybe double dip with the beach and outdoors in one day by checking out Malibu. Head out to Malibu Creek State park for scenic hikes into famous television spots like the Planet of the Apes rock wall or scenes from M.A.S.H. There's also a watering hole where you can enjoy some fun in the water or some cliff diving.
When you're done there you can head further southwest into Malibu Beach and drive up the Pacific Coast Highway. There's no shortage of places to eat. Personally I would travel a little further north and enjoy some seafood at Neptune's Net, a popular spot in part due to The Fast and Furious movie franchise.

There's too many things to name. PM me if there's something specific and I might be able to recommend something!
Old 03-14-2017, 05:07 AM
SageOfMilwaukee

Swing out for #LARIVERCAMPCOFFEE and let me know how it is. I'd like to start something like that around here for pre-work bikes and coffee small talk.

http://theradavist.com/2015/11/la-river-camp-coffee/

LARCC meets every Wednesday morning at Sunnynook River Park, starting at 7AM.
Old 03-14-2017, 08:59 AM

Hae Jang Chon Korean BBQ Restaurant on 6th St in the heart of Koreatown is very popular. Come hungry cuz they won't stop bringing you food until you are busting at the seams.

Glendale for Armenian, Westwood for Persian ( Shamshiri on Westwood Blvd ). Great Thai restaurants all over LA as well.

The absolute best place in SoCal for mid century architecture is Palm Springs. If you want to see a different time period, the Victorians on Carroll Ave just below Dodgers Stadium are truly amazing. There are a few F L Wright homes to see around LA, if that is your thing. Greene and Greene architecture abounds in Pasadena.

Or, find a few of these homes: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Case_Study_Houses

Malibu is a great idea for both beautiful beaches and hiking. Malibu State Park is pretty cool, especially if you were a fan of MASH. If not, many other places to hike in the Santa Monica Mountain Range above Malibu.

LA is a huge city with tons of diversity with culture, architecture, food, etc.

Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions.

Enjoy!
Old 03-14-2017, 09:08 AM

How old are your kids?
The Magic Castle is great fun. It's a private club for magicians but they own a nearby motel and if you stay there you can get in the club. The catch is that I think kids are only allowed Sunday afternoon. Check out their website for info.

The Peterson Museum has a world-class collection of automobiles and related stuff.

I think SLO is too far to visit on a 4 day trip to LA.
Old 03-14-2017, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Robb View Post
How old are your kids?
The Magic Castle is great fun. It's a private club for magicians but they own a nearby motel and if you stay there you can get in the club. The catch is that I think kids are only allowed Sunday afternoon. Check out their website for info.

The Peterson Museum has a world-class collection of automobiles and related stuff.

I think SLO is too far to visit on a 4 day trip to LA.
So, Ken is correct about a few things ( happens on occasion)...

SLO is pretty far and you will spend much more time driving on the freeway than exploring. If you insist on heading far north, Santa Barbara, Ojai and Solvang are all much closer and have lots to offer.

Secondly, the Peterson Museum is spectacular if you are a car guy. Along those same lines, just down the street is LACMA and the La Brea Tar Pits. As a kid, I loved the La Brea Tar Pits. Another great landmark that I loved as a kid was the Griffith Park Observatory. And, if you are in that area, Travel Town and the LA Zoo are right there as well.

Again, it's a huge city with tons to do!
Old 03-14-2017, 09:32 AM

From my visit last year we had great meals at animal on Fairfax and guelaguetza on Olympic.

Animal is meat centric. Memorable dished were beef tendon with pho dip and a burger.

Guelaguetza has an amazing tequila selection and based on its website I love mole you can tell their specialty. Learned about it in the documentary city of gold.
Old 03-14-2017, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdonk View Post
From my visit last year we had great meals at animal on Fairfax and guelaguetza on Olympic.

Animal is meat centric. Memorable dished were beef tendon with pho dip and a burger.

Guelaguetza has an amazing tequila selection and based on its website I love mole you can tell their specialty. Learned about it in the documentary city of gold.
Guelaguetza is a great restaurant! It's food from a very specific region of Mexico: Oaxaca. It's very different than the food you would find in your run of the mill Mexican joint.

Jonathan Gold is a restaurant critic for the LA Times. The documentary "City of Gold" is all about him. It's a very interesting movie and will give you great insights into the lesser known-more diverse cultural restaurant scene in LA.

And, if you do find yourself on Fairfax, just up the street is Cantors Jewish Deli and down the block is Diamonds Jewish Bakery.
Old 03-14-2017, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdonk View Post

Guelaguetza, LA's most popular Mexican restaurant, not loved by Mexicans.

OP, spend half a day in Long Beach. There's a little urban, a little hipster, a little Pasadena and a little beach. It's LA but not LA.

Last edited by beeatnik; 03-14-2017 at 10:24 AM.
Old 03-14-2017, 11:27 AM
Literally Stiff

Think about San Pedro too, it's off the beaten path and much of that town is a real time-warp with a lot of old-school craftsman bungalows and such, and you can tour the USS Iowa. And the Minutemen are from there

Also, there are three nice Eichler neighborhoods in the city of Orange if you get down that way.
Old 03-14-2017, 11:30 AM
welookgood

I give another vote for Hae Jang Chon - and I'm Korean

On Saturday, the Pedalers Fork and spot next to throws nice farmers market to check out.

I would def eat some Tacos.. Peruvian foods.. and of course Korean foods..

Take your family to Art Museums, The Broad, LACMA, MOCA, HAMMER..

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalSteve View Post
Hae Jang Chon Korean BBQ Restaurant on 6th St in the heart of Koreatown is very popular. Come hungry cuz they won't stop bringing you food until you are busting at the seams.

Glendale for Armenian, Westwood for Persian ( Shamshiri on Westwood Blvd ). Great Thai restaurants all over LA as well.

The absolute best place in SoCal for mid century architecture is Palm Springs. If you want to see a different time period, the Victorians on Carroll Ave just below Dodgers Stadium are truly amazing. There are a few F L Wright homes to see around LA, if that is your thing. Greene and Greene architecture abounds in Pasadena.

Or, find a few of these homes: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Case_Study_Houses

Malibu is a great idea for both beautiful beaches and hiking. Malibu State Park is pretty cool, especially if you were a fan of MASH. If not, many other places to hike in the Santa Monica Mountain Range above Malibu.

LA is a huge city with tons of diversity with culture, architecture, food, etc.

Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions.

Enjoy!
Old 03-14-2017, 11:53 AM

Thanks for the replies guys.

Son is 11...kinda at that age where zoos/etc. are passé to him. He would, of course, love the amusement parks...but...we already took him to Universal FL last year...no time for that on this trip. I might go to the tar pits, as I have never been.

We have plenty of Persian and Thai, so I will stick to something different. Beeatnik, are you naying or yaying Guelaguetza?

We will drive at least up to Santa Barbara, maybe El Capitan...Are there any rock formation type beaches along that stretch from LA?

Thinking of staying near the beach in Santa Monica...since we'll be in a car, anyway. The LA Metro wasn't much of anything back when I visited more often...I assume we should still stick with a car?

I used to spend quite a bit of time in LBC, I dunno if we'll head down that way.

Definitely yes to Pasadena, Griffith, etc. Wife wants to traipse around Silver Lake.

Any particular coffee recommendations?

I'll take some time tonight to look a little closer.

TA
-Mark
Old 03-14-2017, 11:57 AM

I wasn't planning on heading into OC...but, i wouldn't mind checking out those Eichler neighborhoods. Pasadena should cover us on the Craftsman front.

I never saw the Minutemen, but I did see Firehose on the first tour, after D. Boon died.

-Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosca View Post
Think about San Pedro too, it's off the beaten path and much of that town is a real time-warp with a lot of old-school craftsman bungalows and such, and you can tour the USS Iowa. And the Minutemen are from there

Also, there are three nice Eichler neighborhoods in the city of Orange if you get down that way.
Old 03-14-2017, 12:00 PM

Sounds like Hae Jang Chon is the place.

I'll probably have some questions about other Korean joints...I have some article on LA Korean from a hipster magazine my wife has laying around here somewhere.

I'm sure we'll eat some tacos.

Love farmer's markets...but...we fly out on Sat.

-Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinbok View Post
I give another vote for Hae Jang Chon - and I'm Korean

On Saturday, the Pedalers Fork and spot next to throws nice farmers market to check out.

I would def eat some Tacos.. Peruvian foods.. and of course Korean foods..

Take your family to Art Museums, The Broad, LACMA, MOCA, HAMMER..