Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-28-2024, 05:47 PM

Changing the way cyclists purchase custom frames

After hearing a few frame builder's perspectives on how selling a custom frame goes I was curious if anyone had a unique way they bought a frame from a small or bigger frame builder?

The idea of having someone build something to all your favourite details seems really interesting to a cyclist but to the one making it well it must get really old quickly. I was curious if anyone had gone about things with a different approach? I imagine someone emailing a builder with a different attitude and telling them to pick the colour and which tubes it's made from. I like the concept of making the frame purchase part of a trip or touring to the location to pick up the new bike or frame. I also like that when the frame is done next year that you'll go ride in Montana or California (or anywhere in the world) for a few weeks. Has anyone done this sort of thing? I like the idea of riding down to California and picking up a frame. Maybe going to Bozeman in the fall and riding for a few weeks?
Old 04-28-2024, 06:20 PM
Forward the Foundation

Mercedes used to have an European delivery option.
Fly to Germany, tour the factory, pick up your car
and tour around Europe, return to the factory, they
ship the car to your dealer. You fly home.
Old 04-28-2024, 06:23 PM

I did pretty much that when I got my speedvagen. Went to Portland, got fitted. Spoke a bit about what I wanted and how I ride. Talked about tubing in a theory level. Left choosing the tubes to them. Chose surprise me paint, just told them colours I really don't like. About 10 months later my bike arrived.
Old 04-28-2024, 06:43 PM

I went to Paris, visited Cycles Alex Singer, told Olivier my contact points and component specs, color and chrome, type of bike and its intended use and he completely took care of the sizing on both frame and custom stem, tubing choice, geometry etc. He nailed it. It worked out so well that on a subsequent visit, I repeated the process for a different type of bike (this time a “competition”). If you aren’t comfortable with your builder having that sort of control over the process, I would suggest that you might have the wrong builder…..or that you might not be a customer for a custom bike.
Old 04-28-2024, 06:50 PM
send me the twizzlers yo

i was in italy for 13 days in 2019 and spent time at pegoretti’s shop. consumed by the environment i decided i couldn’t leave without ordering a frame, at lunch i gave pietro and cristina two measurements (saddle height and reach) and some 14 months later a box arrived in my driveway.i didn’t specify color, paint schemes, or frame model type. it remains the only frame i ride or own.
Old 04-28-2024, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-RICHIE View Post
i was in italy for 13 days in 2019 and spent time at pegoretti’s shop. consumed by the environment i decided i couldn’t leave without ordering a frame, at lunch i gave pietro and cristina two measurements (saddle height and reach) and some 14 months later a box arrived in my driveway.i didn’t specify color, paint schemes, or frame model type. it remains the only frame i ride or own.
Highest faith.
Old 04-28-2024, 07:03 PM
what's a little rust?

Quote:
This is the way I'd like to do it. What fun to open the box!
Old 04-28-2024, 07:43 PM
Byron

That is a great share Richard.
Thanks
Old 04-28-2024, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Please, you’ve got to at least give us one pic! Or at least divulge the model.
Old Yesterday, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Come on... now you have to post a photo of the Peg!

Tim
Old Yesterday, 06:16 AM
send me the twizzlers yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcteague View Post
Come on... now you have to post a photo of the Peg!

Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronf View Post
Please, you’ve got to at least give us one pic! Or at least divulge the model.
I have posted images here and elsewhere though the years.
Here’s one of several albums.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/986633...th/52004912348
Old Yesterday, 06:18 AM

From this thread:

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showt...=303159&page=4
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rp.jpg (93.8 KB, 398 views)
Old Yesterday, 09:43 AM

As of now there are only two builders that I would want to see where the "sausage is made." One is is e-richie and the other is the Bottega in Verona.
Old Yesterday, 09:49 AM

Alchemy has a deal where you can travel to them to pick up your new bike: https://alchemybikes.com/pages/dare-golden-package
Old Yesterday, 06:42 PM

Not as exciting as e-RICHIE's Peg, but I took a class with Doug Fattic. In reality, Doug did most of the delicate brazing, but I did a lot, learned how to file lugs (which, apparently unlike most people, I enjoyed) and in the end wound up with my favorite bike. I enjoyed the process so much that I've since acquired an oxy-propane torch setup, some practice tubing, a practice frame, and—if all goes well—a Weigle that needs repair (thank you again Weisan).