Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-21-2019, 02:21 PM

Give it a few months. You'll be wishing for sweat. I will be here in Michigan anyway. Ugh, I hate winter.
Old 08-21-2019, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiamme red View Post
But you don't have humidity.
I was an hour south of Phoenix a month ago. It was 110. I call BS on that "dry heat" bit!

Ryan
Old 08-21-2019, 02:26 PM

After a rough May-June, summer has been pretty good in CNY. Looking forward to 35 miles on the tandem this evening with the local cycling club.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 8-21Wx.JPG (29.4 KB, 147 views)
Old 08-21-2019, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregL View Post
After a rough May-June, summer has been pretty good in CNY. Looking forward to 35 miles on the tandem this evening with the local cycling club.
We have friends and relatives down in NYC and surrounding areas.
Their summer has been very different from ours.
It's always cooler up here but the difference in temp and humidity has been particularly noticeable this year.
Not only is their baseline normal temp higher but they have been well above normal, whereas upstate has been at or just below normal much of this summer.
Glad we don't live down there!
Old 08-21-2019, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
It was 103 degrees with 6% humidity here yesterday. Right now it's 99 and 5%. Later in the day you have to remember not to rub your eyes, all the dried salt on your face makes them burn.
6%. Wow. Is there even a dew point?
In DC, it's been 70+ humidity, dew point 73. Just awful.
Old 08-21-2019, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrider View Post
This thread gets a big eye roll from me

Sigh....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Those are our "feels like" temps, while wrapped in a wet blanket.
Old 08-21-2019, 02:49 PM

It has been pretty much dank and disgusting since mid May here in Virginia. I grew up in eastern NC and pretty much every day this whole summer has been like the worst of the August days when I was a kid, i.e. humid and 90 degrees.

I do have a bailout option, though, in that I can go up to the Blue Ridge Parkway to ride. Usually about 10 degrees cooler, but still some suffering involved.
Old 08-21-2019, 02:51 PM

Here in northern Colorado, it's already a tad chilly at 7 a.m. I've seen as low as 56. But 3 hours later it may be over 80, which is hot to me. Humidity is extremely low.
Old 08-21-2019, 02:55 PM

Toronto the only City where people complain about humidity in the summer and wind chill in the winter in over 200 languages.

I avoided most of this summer's humidity by riding really early in the morning.

The worst feeling is at the end of the work day, having been in AC all day and walking into the soup.
Old 08-21-2019, 03:03 PM

I hate to get in a whizzing contest here, but has anyone other than me in this group done deployments to the Persian Gulf in the summer? It's not a dry heat, it'll be 120 degrees with high humidity. I was doing it on aircraft carriers and at the main feed pumps for the boilers, it was usually 160 degrees. The guy operating the pumps would stand under a vent duct blowing 120 degree air as much as possible before venturing out into the 160. We'd reduce the length of watches from 5 hours to 3 because of heat stress. If I was out in the engineroom, I'd drink a gallon of water every three hours and still lose weight.

The worst part was showering. We turned off the water heaters in the bathrooms. The potable water tanks were in the bottom of the ship and the seawater temperatures were 105+ degrees so the cold water was hot tub temperature. There just wasn't a way to cool off.
Old 08-21-2019, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrider View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiamme red View Post
But you don't have humidity.
It still is over 100 degrees.
Old 08-21-2019, 03:14 PM

Are people allowed to ride bikes on aircraft carrier decks?

Quote:
I hate to get in a whizzing contest here, but has anyone other than me in this group done deployments to the Persian Gulf in the summer? It's not a dry heat, it'll be 120 degrees with high humidity. I was doing it on aircraft carriers and at the main feed pumps for the boilers, it was usually 160 degrees. The guy operating the pumps would stand under a vent duct blowing 120 degree air as much as possible before venturing out into the 160. We'd reduce the length of watches from 5 hours to 3 because of heat stress. If I was out in the engineroom, I'd drink a gallon of water every three hours and still lose weight.

The worst part was showering. We turned off the water heaters in the bathrooms. The potable water tanks were in the bottom of the ship and the seawater temperatures were 105+ degrees so the cold water was hot tub temperature. There just wasn't a way to cool off.
Old 08-21-2019, 03:25 PM

Quote:

A/C in your berthing area?
Old 08-21-2019, 03:30 PM

Humidity means NOTHING - dew point, now that's the m-fer -
Old 08-21-2019, 03:35 PM

Can't complain.

End of yesterday's ride it was 90f with humidity around 60%.