Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-21-2019, 08:59 AM

comparing 'quick-change' cranksets Praxis Works Zyante M30 and Easton SL90 'Cinch'

I'm looking at a build that would be a 3 season all-road bike. In my thinking it would be apple pie a la mode to easily be able to switch at (semi) whim from 2x to 1x. By this I mean I could make the switch in a parking lot out of the back of my car with the right tools, of course.

Like this coolguy - parachute what?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPs0nWqVLBA

I'm currently on the Easton with a compact 50/34 set up riding 70/30 road. Im moving toward 47/32(48/32 PW) and a 42 single. When I asked my LBS mechanic about the "cinch' feature of quick change they snickered and under their breath mumbled something that sounded like "marketing." Basically, they told me it takes too much force to pull the crank in the field.

is this correct? Even with a badass torque wrench?

I imagine more often than I not I will be switching chainrings when I switch wheels at home but i still want as easy/quick of plug and play experience as possible.

I picked up a new PW Zyante because I want to give shorter crank arms a try. Praxis rep told me that this is also a quick change system. - what no 'sexy' video lol.

Looking at the PW the singles and spiders are held on with 3 stardrive torque screws. That seems very simple, but I am little concerned about the durability.
Should I be?

Anyhow, long story short, is anyone here familiar with both have any wisdom you could share?

Are there other concerns switching 2x to 1x or 1x to 1x in the field that I should consider?

in lieu of wisdom informed opinions will also be considered lol
thx
Old 08-21-2019, 09:30 AM

At first blush this sounds like a lot of work to have to do semi-frequently. Clutch RD for 1x setup as well, will it work well with double?

Obviously you seem to have your mind set on this but if I needed a 48, 42, and 32 chainrings, I'd get a triple crank.
Old 08-21-2019, 10:00 AM

Nice new Open btw!

I had some similar thoughts when I building up my OPEN and I think you might be looking to do too much for little gain. Going 2x to 1x in the field does not sound like fun and I personally feel involves too many moving pieces, which might not be good for equipment on a regular basis. You would have to remove the FD, unlink the chain, and if using Easton, remove the DS arm, have the tool to remove the spider etc. Not sure too if you would run into a chain length issue as well.

1x to 1x swapping chainrings still has what the shop referred to as the constant torquing on the crank to remove/install the crankarms. In the end I think you can accomplish nearly as much swapping the cassettes. I settled on a 42t front (may go 44t) which only on the biggest descents am I going to spin out (if I am lucky) and with either a 42 or 46 rear that gives me almost the same low gear as 32/32 or 32/34 2x front/rear combo. I have a second set of wheels that will be running something like a 32c or 35c slick tire for road only rides and I can drop to a 11-40 cassette on those to decrease the gaps a little.

As for the cranks, I have the Easton EC90. I liked them better since the cinch appears more solid than the PW 3-bolt and other 3rd parties (AB, Wolftooth) make compatible rings. PW also uses their own proprietary M30 BB.
Old 08-21-2019, 10:20 AM

thanks Rob,

So are you running 1x on the road and its all good or is your set up primarily for gravel/ cx rides.

I agree that it maybe end being a total p.i.t.a. buzz kill.

So the dilemma then is to set up the OPEN 2x and run it 2x with 3 wheelsets (700c 28road, 700c 38road to gravel and 650b47 gravel) with different cassettes

Or leave it 1x with a 42T 11-42 and get a dedicated road rig.

Also thanks for the comments on Easton vs PW
Old 08-21-2019, 08:17 PM

Have you considered a 42/28 double?

I run that with 700x35 (really 36mm) and 650x48 (really 50mm) and really could not want for more except for the occasional extended descent when I'd like to hit >45mph. There is no silver bullet so you've got to decide what compromise is works best for your needs.

I use 11-32 cassettes on both wheelsets.

It's too bad that there are not 11-32 and 10-32 cassettes for XD drivers. Because if there was then you could get pretty close to having your druthers without swapping cranks.

Last edited by ColonelJLloyd; 08-21-2019 at 08:24 PM.
Old 08-22-2019, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuda View Post
thanks Rob,

So are you running 1x on the road and its all good or is your set up primarily for gravel/ cx rides.

So the dilemma then is to set up the OPEN 2x and run it 2x with 3 wheelsets (700c 28road, 700c 38road to gravel and 650b47 gravel) with different cassettes

The 1x will probably end up being a larger mix of road to gravel, based on my location. I have drive to reach any real extended gravel, so any "training" ride etc. will be a high amount of road or packed trail. I was debating on the Open & road bike setup but I am going to commit to the Open and see if works for both. I have the 303's setup with the 38's for gravel/road/trail and then another set with 32mm road tires (Maxxis Re-fuse) and a 650 set with 2.1 mountain tires for anything real off-road.
Old 08-22-2019, 10:04 AM

Quote:
thanks Rob,

I run a 42 front 10-42 rear and have all the gears i need to do anything. 1 to 1 for going ups, 10-42 is pretty fast on the flats. i mean you wouldnt ride it on a fast group ride, or maybe you could.
Old 08-22-2019, 04:59 PM

Imo

It really depends on how much gravel and climbing you typically do. I have an Ibis Hakka MX and I went with the 1x SRAM, 38 x 11-42. 90% of my riding with that bike is gravel and here in WNC it always involves climbing. I think the Shimano gr series in a 2x is the sweet spot for mixed tarmac and gravel.
Old 08-22-2019, 05:11 PM
PezTech

My Review CLICK HERE

these things are easy to change... But you're talking about your chain length as well, so don't forget that part.

They're also compatible with a host of standards:

These have been rock solid and as long as you torque them properly (and keep the threads clean) you'll swap to your hearts content...
Old 08-22-2019, 05:21 PM
aka RAEKWON

the worst thing about praxis is the damn proprietary BB, they should have just gone with a 30mm BB insteat of the silly 30/28 thing they came up with to sell BBs.
Old 08-22-2019, 05:28 PM

+1 on Praxis proprietary BB being a minus.

(Most) SRAM 22 cranks have a very similar (if not identical) removable spider. I find it pretty quick and easy to swap out the spider. At least their proprietary BB has been around for a number of years at this point.

Also agreed that you'll want to have a second chain sized up for your alternative chainring setup.
Old 08-25-2019, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzilliox View Post
I run a 42 front 10-42 rear and have all the gears i need to do anything. 1 to 1 for going ups, 10-42 is pretty fast on the flats. i mean you wouldnt ride it on a fast group ride, or maybe you could.

Made time for 4 rides this weekend feeling things out. Road everything from tarmac, gravel access roads to a CX course and some sketchy mtb single track.
The 1x set up is going to be plenty. Not sure this bike is going to be a road bike replacement per see but its definitely competent

Its currently set up with a 40T and 11-46 rear. The 46 is lost on me and my terrain. I'm picking up a 10-42 and a HDR driver to try out on the Zipp wheelset. After that I'll see if I still want a 42T. Looks like there is barely enough room for it (came with White Industries Crankset). Maybe a problem specific to this set up.
Gerard says up to a 50T or 46 offset.

Are you guys seeing clearance for bigger chainrings on your OPEN's?

Last edited by cuda; 08-25-2019 at 07:46 PM.
Old 08-25-2019, 07:57 PM

Thanks Charles for the review. Very informative.
Old 08-28-2019, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzilliox View Post
That's been my general impression so far too. I ran the AB 42t/11-42 combo on mixed surface with no issues, then swapped to 11-40 with a 32 Maxxis Re-Fuse for some straight road and light packed stuff. The 11-46 is there for when I get my legs back and hit some bigger climbs. On the rollers, could easily manage 25mph in the 42/13 or 15 without spinning out.
Old 08-28-2019, 08:38 AM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Made time for 4 rides this weekend feeling things out. Road everything from tarmac, gravel access roads to a CX course and some sketchy mtb single track.
The 1x set up is going to be plenty. Not sure this bike is going to be a road bike replacement per see but its definitely competent

Its currently set up with a 40T and 11-46 rear. The 46 is lost on me and my terrain. I'm picking up a 10-42 and a HDR driver to try out on the Zipp wheelset. After that I'll see if I still want a 42T. Looks like there is barely enough room for it (came with White Industries Crankset). Maybe a problem specific to this set up.
Gerard says up to a 50T or 46 offset.

Are you guys seeing clearance for bigger chainrings on your OPEN's?
I have had 50 on it and was fine however I am going 1x on it because of all the chain suck peoblems I had. 40T in the front, 9-46 in the back. I bet I will hate the gaps in the road but that bike will see little of that and on gravel will be adequate. Also 46 is going to rock on the climbs and 9 small ring will be plenty on the flats